UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18633 times)

petejh

• forum hero
Great resource, nice work :2thumbsup:

Another suggestion - how about recruiting a few volunteers to keep it tidy before it grows much larger (when it'll become harder to keep in order). For e.g. when I search by area: 'Wales' most stuff (e.g. Parisellas) doesn't come up.

(haven't read the thread so apols if this is already happening)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Nice one!

Another thing I noticed earlier, either i've been a bit of a numpty and uplaoded the same video twice or someone else has uploaded one of mine (someone else has, I just checked and can only edit one of them). It was for help the young. It therefore looks like there are more videos for that climb than there actually are, maybe it can filter out videos that have already been uploaded?

So I think the problem with this is if someone has uploaded a video but not tagged all the climbs, it'd  be good to have the ability to add the video again with the remaining climbs. I guess the best solution is to be able to add a problem to an existing video.

I ran into this last night when I was going through some of Dave Sutcliffe's Vimeo videos. Some of his videos are documenting new problems or other things that haven't been picked up by the scraper for whatever reason. So for the one that I linked to with Jess's Roof in it, I still put it up but just referenced Dick Hymen. Does this mean I now can't add the video again but link to Jess's Roof? Or I could do but if I link to Dick Hymen again the video will appear twice in the Dick Hymen entry? Seems like an issue that should be fixable with some validation processes.

BTW, if you're contributing videos and not putting the time stamp on, then  :chair: :jab: :whip: :spank:
We have in our hands a great opportunity to skip sponsors logos, morning coffees, and driving to the crag montages. Let's not fuck this up (it's a nightmare to sift through this stuff when at a crag with crap data reception).

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Great resource, nice work :2thumbsup:

Another suggestion - how about recruiting a few volunteers to keep it tidy before it grows much larger (when it'll become harder to keep in order). For e.g. when I search by area: 'Wales' most stuff (e.g. Parisellas) doesn't come up.

(haven't read the thread so apols if this is already happening)

"area" here is roughly equivalent to "crag". Don't have countries added yet but considering doing so.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Quote from: Will Hunt

I ran into this last night when I was going through some of Dave Sutcliffe's Vimeo videos. Some of his videos are documenting new problems or other things that haven't been picked up by the scraper for whatever reason. So for the one that I linked to with Jess's Roof in it, I still put it up but just referenced Dick Hymen. Does this mean I now can't add the video again but link to Jess's Roof? Or I could do but if I link to Dick Hymen again the video will appear twice in the Dick Hymen entry? Seems like an issue that should be fixable with some validation processes.

You can add the video again if you want. There's no check on duplicate urls at the moment. I do want to sort this out though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:41:06 pm by EdGowSmith »

a13c

• regular

BTW, if you're contributing videos and not putting the time stamp on, then  :chair: :jab: :whip: :spank:
We have in our hands a great opportunity to skip sponsors logos, morning coffees, and driving to the crag montages. Let's not fuck this up (it's a nightmare to sift through this stuff when at a crag with crap data reception).

So I was guilty of this... Sorry.
I've just been going through and putting time stamps on them though and I see someone had already done some for me. (the beaver ones) Cheers!

a13c

• regular
It appears my "quoting" could do with some work too...

Kermit

Nice one!

Another thing I noticed earlier, either i've been a bit of a numpty and uplaoded the same video twice or someone else has uploaded one of mine (someone else has, I just checked and can only edit one of them). It was for help the young. It therefore looks like there are more videos for that climb than there actually are, maybe it can filter out videos that have already been uploaded?

So I think the problem with this is if someone has uploaded a video but not tagged all the climbs, it'd  be good to have the ability to add the video again with the remaining climbs. I guess the best solution is to be able to add a problem to an existing video.

Agreed in this case there was only one problem on the video albeit being done by 2 people.

tomtom

• forum hero
Noticed one (could be more) IG posts that were uploaded that were pictures not videos..

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Noticed one (could be more) IG posts that were uploaded that were pictures not videos..

It might be possible to check for this, but it's not obvious how to do it. Something for further down the line I reckon!

yetix

• forum abuser

If the post has a picture and a video assigned but the picture first in the post it will show the picture first, but have the option to scroll to the video is there (noticed this on one of my housemates videos which had been uploaded) is this the case on the one you noticed?

sdm

• forum abuser
On the homepage where recently uploaded videos are shown, is it possible to add a link to the problem(s), crag(s) and any timestamps for each video?

Instagram posts typically don't include the problem name or location unless you leave the site and open the original post in Instagram.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
On the homepage where recently uploaded videos are shown, is it possible to add a link to the problem(s), crag(s) and any timestamps for each video?

Instagram posts typically don't include the problem name or location unless you leave the site and open the original post in Instagram.

Yep going to do this!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
The thing I mentioned before - the index of problems with videos is actually already addressed in kind. If you search for a crag you can pull up a list of the problems ordered into those with vids and those without which is dead useful.

Is there a way to link to Instagram stories - sometimes people upload beta that way.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Is there a way to link to Instagram stories - sometimes people upload beta that way.

I think stories are only viewable if you have an account?

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
I was just looking at Robin Hoods Stride videos and on the vid of Picallis pickle won’t play saying that there is a copyright issue.

Also, in the same area the video for the ‘dynamic cave problem’ says it needs a password. Are people uploading videos that cannot be viewed?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
I was just looking at Robin Hoods Stride videos and on the vid of Picallis pickle won’t play saying that there is a copyright issue.

Also, in the same area the video for the ‘dynamic cave problem’ says it needs a password. Are people uploading videos that cannot be viewed?

Have removed both.

remus

• forum hero

And don't stories generally disappear after 24hrs?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

And don't stories generally disappear after 24hrs?

Some of them seem to get archived into different categories (food I ate; photos of me sunbathing; look at me climbing; etc) which can be reviewed for longer.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
Just to say well done for this ace site! Great job. This will be so useful and I really like the slick and simple layout.

Will you refresh the problems list fairly regularly? For example, I just uploaded a bunch of stuff to UKC that I did in Sheigra in the North-West of Scotland.

Keep up the good work.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Also will it always be indexed to UKC? I guess that’s a way of trying to keep consistency with names. Have also just added a new problem to UKC although not yet verified.

remus

• forum hero
Also will it always be indexed to UKC? I guess that’s a way of trying to keep consistency with names. Have also just added a new problem to UKC although not yet verified.

Wouldn't want to speak for Ed, but I think it'd be very tricky to merge another problems list so sticking with UKC as a source seems sensible.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Makes sense!

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
I'm sorry to say that I've shut down the site.
UKC were not happy with me using their data and I was not happy with the collaboration they were wanting.
I have other things that need my attention now and the stress of dealing with it all was taking a big toll on my mental health, which I just cannot sacrifice further by dealing with legal action.
Thanks to everyone who took time to contribute and provide feedback, I'm really sorry that it's had to end like this - it's not a decision I've taken lightly.

Ed

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
What a shame Ed, it was brilliant while it lasted.

Pity they were not being amenable, especially as the data is not technically "theirs" as it has been sourced from many different places.

It was a brilliant effort anyway

Paul P

• UKC
Sorry to hear that Ed, we think this is a real shame. I was looking forward to working with you on this.

We first approached Ed last week after we became aware of the project. Since it was similar to something we have been working on for the UKC logbooks, we were keen to see if we could combine efforts, however we did need to establish permission to use our database. Ed was slow to respond but, when he did, we explained the situation and increased our offer to open up our database. This was inline with what many have requested on this thread: to link the database so that new problems only need to be entered in one location. It would have also maintained consistent names and areas. Unfortunately Ed didn't want to collaborate although we have never had a discussion as to what shape the collaboration would take since we have only received two short emails from Ed despite making ourselves fully available for discussion.

If you have a change of heart and want to get it going again then we would be happy to work with you and the offer we made remains open.

For people's information, The Copyright and Rights in Databases Regulations 1997 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/3032/contents/made assigns copyright to the effort of creating the database, not the data itself, which is mostly uncopyrightable facts like route names. At UKC we have never claimed we own data, just the database it is assembled in. It also assigns responsibility to protecting that database in both upkeep and when and where it is used. In this case we bent over backwards to try and make something that would work but we had to do something since, if we didn't, we would have been neglecting our responsibility to our database which would have left it open to use by significantly more commercial concerns than Ed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal