UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18365 times)

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
In these circumstances of being stuck at home with not much to do, I have built a website:
https://www.betadb.org/

The idea is to have a database of videos for boulder problems that allows you to find beta for any problem quickly. 
It currently works with YouTube, Vimeo, and Instagram videos, and the first two can be timestamped which means, for longer videos especially, it should save time in finding beta.
The site only covers problems in the UK currently.
There are some videos on there already but the usefulness hopefully comes in the ability for anyone to add videos.
It's pretty basic at the moment and there are still some things I want to implement but the bare-bones functionality is all working (I hope).
Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Good idea. Being able to catalogue Instagram posts is a great idea. So much beta out there and none of it searchable. Drives me mad.
I'll try and contribute.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Good idea. Being able to catalogue Instagram posts is a great idea. So much beta out there and none of it searchable. Drives me mad.
I'll try and contribute.

Thank you!
Yeah, being unable to search for Instagram videos was one of the big motivators for making this - sort of a black hole for beta...

remus

• forum hero
Ace! Friggin love it! The search is refreshingly well done (compared to UKC, peakbouldering etc.)

One small suggestion, when you search I thought that the problems list was a bit sparse at first but didnt realise things only show up if they have a video. Might make sense to include all problems in the list and add number of videos for that problem in to the text so you can see if it's worth clicking.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Ace! Friggin love it! The search is refreshingly well done (compared to UKC, peakbouldering etc.)

One small suggestion, when you search I thought that the problems list was a bit sparse at first but didnt realise things only show up if they have a video. Might make sense to include all problems in the list and add number of videos for that problem in to the text so you can see if it's worth clicking.

Thanks!
Yeah this does need changing, I realised the search is unintuitive but couldn't think of a better alternative.
I think maybe splitting the search results into two could work? Having one category for problems with videos, and another for problems without? Will have a think.

macca7

• addict
 :agree: superb i have registered and started to add a few links.

The new split search is clean and very easy to use

Good effort look forward to it growing

Cheers macca

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Anyway you can link ukb beta threads Ed?

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Cool idea.  Is there any way you can lookup a crag, then browse through to see which problems have got videos?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I've uploaded all my various Instagram, Vimeo and Youtube. I'll do my best to add more of other people's as I come across them. Very easy to do and this will be so worthwhile if people contribute.
Waddage.

Where does the list of problems come from? I found it had some really obscure stuff in it but some stuff (not very much) was missing. Couldn't figure out a pattern. The Gemenid Trail on the Satellite Boulder was probably the most significant thing.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Anyway you can link ukb beta threads Ed?

Yeah could do! Got some other things I want to sort out first though.

Cool idea.  Is there any way you can lookup a crag, then browse through to see which problems have got videos?

Thanks. Not currently but I will do this at some point.

I've uploaded all my various Instagram, Vimeo and Youtube. I'll do my best to add more of other people's as I come across them. Very easy to do and this will be so worthwhile if people contribute.
Waddage.

I found it had some really obscure stuff in it but some stuff (not very much) was missing. Couldn't figure out a pattern. The Gemenid Trail on the Satellite Boulder was probably the most significant thing.

Great!
I just looked up The Geminid Trail, seems to be on there?
If you tell me what other problems are missing I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:27:53 pm by shark »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

I was spelling it wrong  :slap:

Just went to add my vid and got this error message. No idea why.
"There was an error with the problems, please ensure you delete any blank entries"

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

"There was an error with the problems, please ensure you delete any blank entries"

Okay ha, I think there will undoubtedly be some things missing.
Um not sure on that error, it doesn't like it when there are additional blank entries, is it throwing this error with just 1 problem?

UnkArl

• player
WOW! This is SO good. Well done that man!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Um not sure on that error, it doesn't like it when there are additional blank entries, is it throwing this error with just 1 problem?

Yeah. This Instagram link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BocVhlwjHrG/

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

I can't access this link, so maybe it's a private account? In which case it won't like it.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

I can't access this link, so maybe it's a private account? In which case it won't like it.

Actually on second thought it shouldn't matter, not sure what's going on there.

Yoof

• menacing presence
Brilliant idea Ed, good job!

A nested site structure based on geography would be great, maybe taking county and crag level data so crags and areas are easily navigable

Psyched on this
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:28:37 pm by shark »

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Brilliant idea Ed, good job!

A nested site structure based on geography would be great, maybe taking county and crag level data, again from UKC, so crags and areas are easily navigable

Psyched on this

Thank you!

I do want to implement something like this, just wasn't my priority for version 1.0. The crags are already on there so navigation by crag will be easy to make happen. Maybe can then split by England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:24:52 pm by shark »

haydn jones

• forum hero
I can't access the Instagram link either. I also couldn't access the Instagram link Will linked to in the covid thread so maybe there's something off with how will's linking them?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Oops. That was meant to be a Twitter link but the Instagram thing was still on my clipboard. Think I'd better go to bed.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
This does look like a great idea. Personally not sure why you would need to browse by crag but it might look better. Just being able to type in what you want and it’s there is great.

I too noticed some obscurities where there and lesser obscurities were not. Stanton in the woods seems to be missing for example

BenF

• forum hero
This is brilliant. In concept, creation and then the effort from people to add videos. Thanks.

JamieG

• forum hero
I really like this. Fantastic work.

Noticed one small bug (maybe) when searching for Fish Arete just to try it out. It only appeared in the search after I added a space after 'Fish', is that because it only displays the top so many results. Just confused me a little at first, but maybe that is the only way it could work.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Just tested it. Worked really well when a problem is on the list but there isn’t the capability to add a problem that isn’t (doesn’t include Bens Roof for example)

Duma

• forum hero
Needs the apostrophe to get Ben's roof

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal