UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18514 times)

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Great idea, I've just added my videos

Cheers!

Noticed one small bug (maybe) when searching for Fish Arete just to try it out. It only appeared in the search after I added a space after 'Fish', is that because it only displays the top so many results. Just confused me a little at first, but maybe that is the only way it could work.

For the search, could it instant display the top x results, then if you hit enter (and maybe add a 'search' button) it'd take you to a search results style page with all the available results?

I've added a way to view full search results now.

remus

• forum hero
Nice one, thanks!

I don't know what language you've written it in, but if it's python based I'd love to get involved if there was some way for me to help out.  Just drop me a message on here.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
beta version suggestion - rating / voting of videos in order of most useful for beta, so best comes up first? Some are great, some are no use at all!

Otherwise, brilliant job!

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
beta version suggestion - rating / voting of videos in order of most useful for beta, so best comes up first? Some are great, some are no use at all!

Or maybe a best lanky / short arse version?

SA Chris

• forum hero

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

Yep on the list of things to do!

JamieG

• forum hero
Is there anyway the database could handle problems with multiple names? I'm thinking at Wimberry, for example, a lot of problems have two names. Enhancing hero = elephant slab, take cover = flakes of concern etc.

It's possible to do but think in practice would be hard to get the data for this? Guess it'd just have to be added by hand.

I guess it is not going to be that many problems overall. Just noticeable at certain crags. Probably half the problems at Wimberry have an alternative name.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Is there anyway the database could handle problems with multiple names? I'm thinking at Wimberry, for example, a lot of problems have two names. Enhancing hero = elephant slab, take cover = flakes of concern etc.

It's possible to do but think in practice would be hard to get the data for this? Guess it'd just have to be added by hand.

I guess it is not going to be that many problems overall. Just noticeable at certain crags. Probably half the problems at Wimberry have an alternative name.

Okay well once I've added the ability to add problems that are not in the database I'll look into it properly.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
In a similar way to bleau info, would there be a way to have a time stamp for videos with multiple problems?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
In a similar way to bleau info, would there be a way to have a time stamp for videos with multiple problems?

There is this already! (Hopefully working!)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
Good job Ed, I'll upload some Cornwall stuff, should have time  ;)

I'm sure it won't be an issue, but I notice with 8A.nu when people log a problem, new or otherwise, but with different spellings it will show up as different problems. Could this be an issue with your site?

a13c

• regular
Hi Ed, if I'm putting a video off YouTube that has two (or more) problems on it, how do I identify those problems? In my techno ignorance I was about to put the same vid up twice...
Sorry if this is a daft question.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Hi Ed, if I'm putting a video off YouTube that has two (or more) problems on it, how do I identify those problems? In my techno ignorance I was about to put the same vid up twice...

On the "Add Video" page you can add as many problems as you want for one video by clicking the "add another problem" button.
If you select a problem with no videos from the searchbar it will take you to the add video page with the first problem already filled out.
Hope that helps, I tried to make it intuitive but if I can change something to make it more obvious let me know.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Cool idea.  Is there any way you can lookup a crag, then browse through to see which problems have got videos?

A nested site structure based on geography would be great, maybe taking county and crag level data so crags and areas are easily navigable

I've added crag pages.
You can search for crags in the search bar now and then see what problems at a crag have videos.
Can maybe do country/region too, will think about it.

tomtom

• forum hero

On the "Add Video" page you can add as many problems as you want for one video by clicking the "add another problem" button.
If you select a problem with no videos from the searchbar it will take you to the add video page with the first problem already filled out.
Hope that helps, I tried to make it intuitive but if I can change something to make it more obvious let me know.

I figured that out no probs Ed.

a13c

• regular

That's great, thank you.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

That's great, thank you.

No worries.

I figured that out no probs Ed.

That's good to know -  I definitely worry that things only make sense to me because I designed it and have been stuck in my own bubble of ideas, so any feedback is either reassuring or useful!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
I'll upload some Cornwall stuff, should have time  ;)

Please do!  Always good to have some local videos for inspiration and beta.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser

I've added crag pages.
You can search for crags in the search bar now and then see what problems at a crag have videos.

Great - thanks!

SA Chris

• forum hero
over 1800 vids on the first day is impressive, good job everyone, esp Ed.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Great work Ed, nice and simple looking.

2 things that would maybe add something?

1. The top 5 new videos on the front page - maybe show the problem name and crag? (if it's instabang it doesn't show).
2. If you've found a problem by searching, but don't know where it it is, a way if navigating up to the crag page would be good.

m.cooke.1421

• regular
Is there any way in which videos could be automatically muted when they start playing?

If a video contains more than one problem, and assuming that they have been added to the site, is there a way to see what the other problems are?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Great work Ed, nice and simple looking.

2 things that would maybe add something?

1. The top 5 new videos on the front page - maybe show the problem name and crag? (if it's instabang it doesn't show).
2. If you've found a problem by searching, but don't know where it it is, a way if navigating up to the crag page would be good.

1. Yeah good idea, will do something like this
2. You can do this, but I've made the crag name more obviously clickable now.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Is there any way in which videos could be automatically muted when they start playing?

If a video contains more than one problem, and assuming that they have been added to the site, is there a way to see what the other problems are?

I'll look into muting, but on desktop you can mute the whole site through the browser to stop anything from having sound. Is this a problem on mobile?

Not currently, but want to do this.

RobK

• stalker
This is great! Is there any way to handle instagram posts with multiple videos? E.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9XFJw-DbCm/

Could maybe just add it as a comment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal