UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18646 times)

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
This is great! Is there any way to handle instagram posts with multiple videos? E.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9XFJw-DbCm/

Could maybe just add it as a comment.

I have looked into it and I think not easily unfortunately, probably commenting "second video" or something is best.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Lesson here in IT development and having a robust functional spec produced upfront ;)

remus

• forum hero
Lesson here in IT development and having a robust functional spec produced upfront ;)

...which then gets thrown in the bin as soon as some real users get their hands dirty and it turns out the person who wrote the spec had no idea what they were doing  ;D

Kermit

This is brilliant good work!  :goodidea:

Just a couple of ideas?

I noticed whilst uploading my videos that if you have clicked add problem but don't add any details when you click Add Video it tells you to remove blanks but it actually removes everything and goes back to the blank add video form. Just a bit annoying when you have added a couple of problems with time stamps etc.

Just personal habit but i am pasting the URL in then hitting tab, it goes to the problem name box but you can't start typing you have to click in the box first. Tiny thing really I just have a habit of using key board nav rather than mouse especially on a laptop with a track pad.

Otherwise seems good.

Thanks again

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
This is great! Is there any way to handle instagram posts with multiple videos? E.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9XFJw-DbCm/

I have looked into it and I think not easily unfortunately, probably commenting "second video" or something is best.

I was wondering the same thing. The added comment is a good fix. Could be worth putting in some guidance text in the comments box (the kind that appears in grey and disappears when the user clicks the box to start typing?).

Also, what I'd love to see is a catalogue of what's been uploaded. It's really useful now for finding beta for a specific problem, but if I wanted to scan down a list of what there was at a particular crag to see what piques my interest, that would be useful. Maybe have an index page of simple text which groups the problems with videos into crags and orders the crags in alphabetical order?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:59:06 am by Will Hunt »

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
This is brilliant good work!  :goodidea:

Just a couple of ideas?

I noticed whilst uploading my videos that if you have clicked add problem but don't add any details when you click Add Video it tells you to remove blanks but it actually removes everything and goes back to the blank add video form. Just a bit annoying when you have added a couple of problems with time stamps etc.

Just personal habit but i am pasting the URL in then hitting tab, it goes to the problem name box but you can't start typing you have to click in the box first. Tiny thing really I just have a habit of using key board nav rather than mouse especially on a laptop with a track pad.

Otherwise seems good.

Thanks again

Cheers. Yeah both of these need sorting, will get on it.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

I was wondering the same thing. The added comment is a good fix. Could be worth putting in some guidance text in the comments box (the kind that appears in grey and disappears when the user clicks the box to start typing?).

Yeah will do this!

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
great idea! I will get linking problems when I see them

m.cooke.1421

• regular
Is there any way in which videos could be automatically muted when they start playing?

If a video contains more than one problem, and assuming that they have been added to the site, is there a way to see what the other problems are?

I'll look into muting, but on desktop you can mute the whole site through the browser to stop anything from having sound. Is this a problem on mobile?

Not currently, but want to do this.

Forgot to mention in my last post but this is great, well done for putting this together.

Muting the site works for desktop chrome but sadly doesn't appear to for the mobile version. I was only wishing to avoid accidentally blasting someones questionable musical choice whilst at the crag/alerting anyone else present at the crag that I was cheating.

Is there any problem with adding a video that someone else has already added if they have missed problems off when adding it?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Is there any way in which videos could be automatically muted when they start playing?

If a video contains more than one problem, and assuming that they have been added to the site, is there a way to see what the other problems are?

I'll look into muting, but on desktop you can mute the whole site through the browser to stop anything from having sound. Is this a problem on mobile?

Not currently, but want to do this.

Forgot to mention in my last post but this is great, well done for putting this together.

Muting the site works for desktop chrome but sadly doesn't appear to for the mobile version. I was only wishing to avoid accidentally blasting someones questionable musical choice whilst at the crag/alerting anyone else present at the crag that I was cheating.

Is there any problem with adding a video that someone else has already added if they have missed problems off when adding it?

Ah cheers, glad you like it.
Yeah will look into muting.
Nope shouldn't be a problem in doing that.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Ace idea, and website works well for me on chrome  :2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
This might be a stretch - but when adding a vid - if when pasting in the url, it could look up the vid and auto suggest the problem (assuming the video title starts with the problem name) then that would be neat!

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
A small question. I have great footage of the beta on Danny’s problem original at the plantation. Sadly the friend didn’t quite finish it instead falling out of the gaston move. I wondered whether I should post it up and the beta is sound? What would you lot do?

As a slight justification for adding it whilst looking at the plantation I watched the videos for the Joker and one chap didn’t even top it out (there was a little snow on the top mind)!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:21:25 pm by old cheese »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
A small question. I have great footage of the beta on Danny’s problem original at the plantation. Sadly the friend didn’t quite finish it instead falling out of the gaston move. I wondered whether I should post it up and the beta is sound? What would you lot do?

As a slight justification for adding it whilst looking at the plantation I watched the videos for the Joker and one chap didn’t even top it out (there was a little snow on the top mind)!!

Yes - it’s useful. Maybe write something in the comments to say that its incomplete

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

So there is a problem with tabs on the Add Video page.
I can get it so you can type automatically without selecting but you can't tab to the next input.
This is apparently a known bug in the autocomplete plugin I'm using, will look into it further.

I've sorted a few things out, working on various suggestions, some might take a little while to get working.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
When I try and tag Jess's Roof in a video it doesn't seem to come up in the drop down options? I did check how it was spelled this time!

Grady

Great idea! I'll definitely add any vids I have.

If we're doing feature requests, any chance of a search api / predictable urls? I'm currently building a site for my local area and it would be cool to link through to the relevant problems. Be nice to be able to do this programmatically and not have to hardcode all the links.

macca7

• addict
When I try and tag Jess's Roof in a video it doesn't seem to come up in the drop down options? I did check how it was spelled this time!
Get the same with boomerang at clodgy?

Paul B

• forum hero
In these circumstances of being stuck at home with not much to do, I have built a website:
https://www.betadb.org/

Good effort!

Kermit

So there is a problem with tabs on the Add Video page.
I can get it so you can type automatically without selecting but you can't tab to the next input.
This is apparently a known bug in the autocomplete plugin I'm using, will look into it further.

I've sorted a few things out, working on various suggestions, some might take a little while to get working.

Nice one!

Another thing I noticed earlier, either i've been a bit of a numpty and uplaoded the same video twice or someone else has uploaded one of mine (someone else has, I just checked and can only edit one of them). It was for help the young. It therefore looks like there are more videos for that climb than there actually are, maybe it can filter out videos that have already been uploaded?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

Have sorted this now.

tomtom

• forum hero
Coming up to 2k videos now Ed. You should be chuffed. Effort.

Paul P

• UKC
Have sorted this now.

That works better now. I don't mind sharing how we do the name matching on UKC but would appreciate a reply to our emails first  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
2K reached!!

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

Nice one!

Another thing I noticed earlier, either i've been a bit of a numpty and uplaoded the same video twice or someone else has uploaded one of mine (someone else has, I just checked and can only edit one of them). It was for help the young. It therefore looks like there are more videos for that climb than there actually are, maybe it can filter out videos that have already been uploaded?

So I think the problem with this is if someone has uploaded a video but not tagged all the climbs, it'd  be good to have the ability to add the video again with the remaining climbs. I guess the best solution is to be able to add a problem to an existing video.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal