UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18515 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Though would be really handy if punctuation could somehow be ignored in the search?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Though would be really handy if punctuation could somehow be ignored in the search?

Yeah can sort this out.

This does look like a great idea. Personally not sure why you would need to browse by crag but it might look better. Just being able to type in what you want and it’s there is great.

I too noticed some obscurities where there and lesser obscurities were not. Stanton in the woods seems to be missing for example

I've just added the missing Stanton in the Woods climbs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:45:42 pm by shark »

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
I really like this. Fantastic work.

Noticed one small bug (maybe) when searching for Fish Arete just to try it out. It only appeared in the search after I added a space after 'Fish', is that because it only displays the top so many results. Just confused me a little at first, but maybe that is the only way it could work.

Cheers. Yeah it only displays the top 5 results, will try and make this more obvious.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser

Personally not sure why you would need to browse by crag but it might look better. Just being able to type in what you want and it’s there is great.

Living in the South West and climbing in esoteric areas most stuff doesn’t have videos.  It’s a bit tiresome searching one problem after another, only for each of them to come up as having no video.

It would be great if you could click on a crag, then scan down the list of problems to see which do and do not have videos - would save loads of time and (for me at least) mean that I am much more likely to use the site.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this

Personally not sure why you would need to browse by crag but it might look better. Just being able to type in what you want and it’s there is great.

Living in the South West and climbing in esoteric areas most stuff doesn’t have videos.  It’s a bit tiresome searching one problem after another, only for each of them to come up as having no video.

It would be great if you could click on a crag, then scan down the list of problems to see which do and do not have videos - would save loads of time and (for me at least) mean that I am much more likely to use the site.

I Guess in areas such as yours this makes sense but would it just honeypot the problems already done? I guess you South Westies need to get your cameras out a bit more!!

db79

Absolutely blinding idea. I'm adding my videos right now.

JamieG

• forum hero
Another improvement suggestion. I was searching for a problem called Isis at Sheigra in Scotland. But it is only finding things called 'Crisis' and displaying them. I'm sure its there because other problems in the area are there too, but there are too many problems with Crisis in the name. Maybe have exact matches come up first?

Edit - still a really great effort and hopefully grows into a brilliant resource.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
I've added missing problems. Should be pretty extensive now. Let me know if you find anything missing and I'll look into it.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Another improvement suggestion. I was searching for a problem called Isis at Sheigra in Scotland. But it is only finding things called 'Crisis' and displaying them. I'm sure its there because other problems in the area are there too, but there are too many problems with Crisis in the name. Maybe have exact matches come up first?

Edit - still a really great effort and hopefully grows into a brilliant resource.

Yeah good suggestion have changed the search so the results are ranked. Should work a bit better hopefully.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Absolutely blinding idea. I'm adding my videos right now.

:)

Should ignore punctuation now.

remus

• forum hero
For the search, could it instant display the top x results, then if you hit enter (and maybe add a 'search' button) it'd take you to a search results style page with all the available results?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
For the search, could it instant display the top x results, then if you hit enter (and maybe add a 'search' button) it'd take you to a search results style page with all the available results?

Yeah good idea, will add a "view all results" if there are more than those shown.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Accidentally added a video twice and don’t see a remove video button?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

I didn't want to put a remove button that anybody can use, but I can do it so if you are the uploader of the video you can remove it?

(Edit: In the meantime I've removed the duplicate)

M1V0

• addict
Good idea! I've added what small offerings I have.

JamieG

• forum hero
Is there anyway the database could handle problems with multiple names? I'm thinking at Wimberry, for example, a lot of problems have two names. Enhancing hero = elephant slab, take cover = flakes of concern etc.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence

Okay has an edit and remove button for things you've added now.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Is there anyway the database could handle problems with multiple names? I'm thinking at Wimberry, for example, a lot of problems have two names. Enhancing hero = elephant slab, take cover = flakes of concern etc.

It's possible to do but think in practice would be hard to get the data for this? Guess it'd just have to be added by hand.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Thanks, this is great! Shame I live stateside now. Any intention to expand over here in future. So many of the beta videos in Colorado are on Instagram...

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Thanks, this is great! Shame I live stateside now. Any intention to expand over here in future. So many of the beta videos in Colorado are on Instagram...

Yeah for sure! Will see how it goes for just the UK first though...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:34:13 pm by EdGowSmith »

yetix

• forum abuser
This is great!

tomtom

• forum hero
Brilliant. Easy to upload. Easy to search.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Great effort! Can we add problems or just videos?

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Great effort! Can we add problems or just videos?

Thanks. Just videos for now, but being able to add problems is on the list of things to do!

Sidehaas

• stalker
Great idea, I've just added my videos

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal