UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2015 (Read 93067 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#200 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 07:54:19 am
1. (as per last year) Alpine / trad trips to any two or more of: Dolomites, Oberreintal, elsewhere in Alps e.g. Ecrins, UK trad excursion.
Two short but decent alpine outings - Kaisergebirge, Gesäuse - and a day at Staden Moor. Hurrah
2. Sport climbing: redpoint 7b as per Nik's instructions. Wait:
No

That went pretty badly in terms of actual achievements. I didn't move my redpoint grade on at all, and only redpointed two 7a's.

Had bad luck with non-climbing injuries: bruised ribs snowboarding and a torn calf muscle that came from seemingly nowhere. And with the weather: big Frankenjura trip in the spring rained off, then freak heatwave in early summer.

But, I actually feel ok about progress. Apart from the injuries I've done well in training and definitely feel I'm stronger and moving better than a year ago. Tried a couple of things in the top end 7a / 7a+ range that felt they would definitely have gone with just one more visit.

What I need to get better at is organising partners/logistics so that I actually get on my projects in decent conditions - and get back on them for return visits if necessary instead of always traipsing off to new crags. Given that realistically everything between the Frankenjura and Arco is within weekend reach - I have several lifetimes' worth of new crags to go at. But if I want to get better at redpointing then I have to focus.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#201 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 08:58:07 am
After my epic failures to do much from my lists, I will keep it simple in 2015.

1.  Don't die trying to do the Lakeland 100

2.  Get back to climbing after the Lakeland 100.

YYFY on the first, pathetic fail on the second.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#202 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 09:13:00 am
Raindogs
Steady in sections but didn't have the juice to string it all together.  Didn't go back after injuring finger in June.

Hot Funking Closing will be the local aim.
Within 2 moves four times first session back on it, returned a week later confident of success to find it broken and highly unpleasant, haven't bothered since.

E4 onsights, ultimately Resurrection.
Hardly any trad, been nowhere near Wales.

Brad Pit.
Hardly bouldered, been nowhere near Stanage

But that's all ok because:
As usual 8a will be the main goal

Managed Roof Warrior, hadn't been on the radar previously but had to find something with minimal crimping due to finger injury and this suited perfectly.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#203 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 09:23:25 am
achieve more than I did this year
Well?
I climbed even less than last year - I did not think that was possible.

I did however
Get a new car
Go to loads of gigs and a couple of music festivals.
Go back to Uni to finish my BEng.
Meet lots of new people and make lots of new friends.
Start to work on make my house nice. 2 rooms done.
Buy a woodie which I will hopefully install over Christmas.
fight off a bought of depression
Visit Margalef and Suirana for the first time.
I am also taking thursday off of work to go watch the new Star wars Film (yes I am called Luke I have no option but to love star wars)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#204 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 09:26:52 am
Get registered as "visually impaired" i've probably been in denial for the last 6 months,hoping things get better.They won't.
Get assessed for this MS bollocks and consider my treatment options.
Quit smoking.Again.

Fix garden shed.
Get tree in back garden cut down.

Dark Matter stand at Sampson's Stones and tidy up some other bits and bobs from last time.
Morning Afterglow and tons of other stuff at Torridon.
Summer in Shetland.

I would regard that as a good year.Off to Harris now for a week of rain,gales and doubtlessly fail on my project over there........oh and to be more positive this year ;D
Merry Xmas all :)
   MS shit doesn't seem to have progressed so a YYFY on that one  :2thumbsup:
Had to give up driving due to poor vision.Bastard.
Still smoking.
Shed not fixed but plan in place.
Tree successfully cut down.
Great trip to Sampson's Stones,did what I wanted and a bunch of other stuff.
Morning Afterglow just didn't happen despite Richie B's coaching....in fact Torridon conditions were pretty shit all year apart from the odd day.
Fine time relaxing in Shetland,ace beaches and wildlife.
So a pretty good year and totally stoked for this next one :bounce:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#205 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 09:32:52 am

36chambers

• forum hero
#206 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 09:38:42 am
There's still over two weeks left yet people

dave

#207 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 10:16:42 am
Aim: simply to burn off Ondra. Watch out you little punk bitch! Dave's coming for ya.

Ondra best get his Harry-Potter ass over to Burbage quick smart or I'm going to have quite a lot of egg on my face.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#208 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 10:26:33 am
My year is effectively over unless I manage to smash Northumberland over new year

Trad: Resurrection, Right wall (again!), Headhunter, Positron
Flashed Headhunter, yyfy. Didn't get on the Cromlech or Main Cliff but did go to Pabbay/Mingulay, Onsighted a few E4s and had the best time of my life so not so fussed about Positron/Right wall this year
Sport: Arch Enemies, Energie Positiva and Call of Nature
Didn't manage any of these in the end. Not too bothered though as I got sucked into Cheedale action, did Toys for the Boys, This is the Sea and finally after many session managed Powerplant as my first 8a. Very happy.
Bouldering: try hard and often for once!
It appears I'm not a boulderer, i'll get my coat...
Big: complete a long, moderately hard and reasonably free ascent on the Naranjo Del Bulnes lumps
Fucked it up half way up the Rabada-Navarro, did a few east face routes and had a brilliant time. It's a great place and I would recommend it. 

Wrote about it here - http://www.nectarclimbing.com/words/la-torre-junto-al-mar

Other: decorate and furnish house/have a moving in party, make a fictional climbing film.
I had to sell a bunch of filming equipment and I moved out of the house so had a tough few months, the climbing mafia sorted me out so I couldn't be feeling any more different right now. I still want to make a fictional climbing film, 'I am not an athlete: The Ryan Pasquill Story"

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#209 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:02:33 am
Austrian Oak natch
Tempted to give this an orange Massive progress in the Autumn and came very close.
Trips planned: Chulilla in Jan (onsight 7b+)
Attempted a few and took a massive lob on one. Making sure I pack my stamina this time for the January return visit
Font at Easter (Lady Big Clacques)
One session on this and did OK though it was a bit warm 
Squamish in the summer (Steal a Mountie’s horse, wrestle a Grizzly, climb Grand Wall and Freeway )
Superb trip doing a mix of trad, sport and bouldering. Doing Grand Wall with Tommy being amongst lifetime bests. Took a couple of falls on Freeway which was a shame
Kalymnos October half term with Tom again (attempt Zawindul Syndicate onsight)
Didnt go as Tommy was keener for Malham and he was almost rewarded with Raindogs
Main unfinished Peak projects: eatswood Reverse, Kudos, Rattle and Hump start, Jericho Road, Anger Management, Bens Roof
All still unfinished
UK Trad: Revisit Pembroke, Fairhead festival and Cornish BMC festival. Attempt Reproduction at High Tor ground up
This should have all been April-June time when I was recovering from a burnt hand   
]Buy/refurbish another rental property if anything suitable comes up.
Got a student property in Nottingham which has gone ok. Run out of leverage now.
Get patio, drives and garden sorted.
Got a wondrous yorkshire flagged patio with drystone retaining walls now.
Ensure climbing / work balance is where it should be. Get and stay sub 11.7. Stay psyched.Avoid injury / manage niggles.Come to terms with turning 51.
Lack of project tickage aside its been a good year with exception of hand burning. Even when busy with work still managed to get during week by working evenings and weekends instead. Getting and maintaining all time low of sub 11 stone throughout the Autumn was an unexpected achievement 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:13:18 am by shark »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#210 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:15:12 am
My year is effectively over unless I manage to smash Northumberland over new year
Big: complete a long, moderately hard and reasonably free ascent on the Naranjo Del Bulnes lumps
Fucked it up half way up the Rabada-Navarro, did a few east face routes and had a brilliant time. It's a great place and I would recommend it. 

Great write up!

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#211 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:17:10 am
Physio
1. 15 unilateral calf raises in Jan
2. Be able to run again by Feb.
3. Be able to safely jump/fall off (indoor) boulders in March.

4. 90% foot strength and mobility by August (50% for inversion)
Pretty happy with how the physio went. Don't think my foot is quite at 90% strength, even now, though.

Climbing
1. 8a onsight and shit loads up to that on Easter trip - Turkey?
2. 8c-9a in Summer. Hopefully back in Flatanger (Baltzola if not?). Nordic Flower, Nordic Plumber, Art of Flight, Dharma, Little Badder. Try Thors Hammer.

I massively underestimated how long I would have so little psyche for. Got to quick 8a+ and 8b redpoint.

The thing I'm happiest with by far wasn't a goal from the outset, but maybe it should have been, in hindsight. I love climbing again, and have plenty of ambition back. To quote Shackleton 'I failed in all things tangible, but in memories I am rich'.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:22:32 am by bendavison »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#212 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:23:41 am
1. Be trading online this year and hit business plan projections.

2. The Jura fell race during Islay whisky festival week already booked on to.

3. Start climbing again and fix back-related issues it induces!

4. Win the Islay festival nosing competition. Missed out by one dram last year!

1. Now selling online albeit via a third party. Still a tick that's working.

2. Wouldn't have been fit for it and logistics to get there for the Saturday too difficult. Maybe 2016.

3. Haven't climbed all year and all psyche for the sport seems to be gone annoyingly. Finally having full set of diagnostics to fix back after physio failed to do much. Perhaps 2016 could be some form of return.

4. Went to a premium tasting elsewhere on the night so missed out a shot here. Next year!

2015 was a year of fell running and I joined Bowland Fell Runners who seem to be a lovely lot. Getting ever keener for the sport and I was really pleased with managing to enter two category A races. Placing off the bottom was also nice!
Starting a project to republish 'Stud marks on the summits' has also been awesome and things are progressing nicely here.

Lots of goalpost moving this year but all in all really happy with everything.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#213 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:36:38 am

Great write up!

Thanks, and thank you and Tom for the various beta in the 'Long,Hard' thread.

dave

#214 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 11:38:40 am
Starting a project to republish 'Stud marks on the summits' has also been awesome and things are progressing nicely here.

This Mark guy sound like quite the ladies man.

tomtom

• forum hero
#215 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 12:36:42 pm
7C as usual

fail

as usual

At least you've been trying one... that would be coloured yellow in Sharks post.. ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#216 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 12:46:29 pm
Encourage everyone to use orange coloured writing in their end of year review, and not yellow, so people can actually read it.

I'm taking a tick for this, so far!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#217 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 12:48:03 pm
do or do not

there is no try

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#218 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 01:18:43 pm

This Mark guy sound like quite the ladies man.

Tell me about it! I'm fairly certain it should have been one word no?

JohnM

• junky
#219 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 01:51:10 pm
1.  Finish one of the harder (for me) sport routes I have tried.  Fisheye or Indian Summer.
Did Fisheye back in February - YYFY!  Didn't try Indian Summer this year but got stuck into Bat Route which was going well until I knackered my elbow.  Now a 2016 aim!
2.  Flash/onsight 8a.
Not 100% happy with this one as the 8a I onsighted was very soft (Debout les Morts in Kalymnos).  I am 95% sure I would have onsighted/flashed Mon Dieu at Oliana which gets 8a+ but after getting through the hard stuff the bolt at the end of the run out was missing and although I didn't know how to do the moves on the route I had some idea about the clips and I heard the bolt after the bolt that was missing couldn't be clipped from below so I gave up!
3.  Onsight at least one E6 (something at Pembroke) and try and flash an E7 (maybe Vapour Trail at Swanage).
Didn't go to Pembroke or do much trad in general so never built up to E6 onsighting or E7 flashing. 
4.  Climb at Anstey's Cove.
Finally visited Ansteys!  I fell off the top of Cider Soak 4 times so this now goes into the bogey 8a category (see below)!
5.  Finish one of my bogey 8a's (Masterclass, Statement or Powerplant).
Was a good year for slaying bogey 8a's.  Finished Statement, Powerplant and Raindogs off.  Bogey list still includes Masterclass, Never Get Out of the Boat and now Cider Soak!
6.  Move to Spain.
I had forgotten I'd planned to move to Spain this year!  This has been delayed but I will be moving to Spain at least for an initial period next September/October. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
#220 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 02:25:46 pm

2.  Flash/onsight 8a.
Not 100% happy with this one as the 8a I onsighted was very soft (Debout les Morts in Kalymnos).  I am 95% sure I would have onsighted/flashed Mon Dieu at Oliana which gets 8a+ but after getting through the hard stuff the bolt at the end of the run out was missing and although I didn't know how to do the moves on the route I had some idea about the clips and I heard the bolt after the bolt that was missing couldn't be clipped from below so I gave up!

What a bastard. Considering it's sport climbing that's truly gutting. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#221 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 02:27:26 pm
Full time result: mixed, but a lot better than the rubbish half time result  :-\

1. Winter grit. - fail, weather dire.
2. Berdorf. - fail, bad organisation
3. Pfalz. - success, last minute random trip. Despite cool temps, too still and sweaty to climb hard, but still great fun in a great place.
4. Move South. - fail, really feeling how much Scotland sucks at the moment, in the wise words of Cassidy "If you want to climb well, don't live in Glasgow"
5. Wales / South West trips. - success! - nice trip to South West early summer, excellent time spent in Wales late summer, one of my best times climbing and just existing for quite a while. Proved the importance of easy rock access, wet weather options, easy partners etc etc.
6. Keep training. - partial success, kept training regularly in ridiculously extra-wet non-autumn, decent progress bouldering and gym, but put on even more weight  >:( >:( >:( >:(

No further comments your honour.

abarro81

• forum hero
#222 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 04:06:42 pm
Given that all I'll be doing between now and the end of the year is rehabbing my volar plate and lamenting my lack of will power when it comes to resisting tasty food, here goes...

1. Era vella
Fuck yeah honkies. J star can suck my balls, it makes shit like Progress look like going for a gentle stroll IMO.

2. Finally have fully healed collateral and be able to climb UK sport again - progress,
hajj, bat route
Had a good early summer sport season - Bat route, Cry freedom, Progress, Freakshow, Epic Adventures.. Don't think I sport climbed at the tor this year though! :o

3.Onsight more 8bs
Just the one. Didn't go to Europe after my trip to Margalef so didn't have much opportunity; on the bright side this is probably why I managed to do #6 on the list..

4.Flash 8b+
Didn't try

5. Louis lankstrong or keen douche
Tricked my way up Keen, incapacitating myself somewhat by injuring my volar plate in the process. Only had 1 session back on Louis, would've needed a good siege and was broken by the time I was back into boulder mode.

6. Finish PhD
Handed in yesterday. Viva not until March so I'm not technically finished, especially since the external examiner is the Prof who's the head of the Cambridge group that works on this stuff and is likely to ask all sorts of questions that I don't know the answers to... but psyched to be handed in anyway!

A good year all in all - did my hardest redpoint, equalled my hardest onsight, plus did my hardest boulder and my hardest boulder flash. Plus a good non-climbing year in terms of work and relationships.. Last couple of months have been game over for climbing due to a fucked finger though, hopefully now on the mend, kinda want it fixed before big trip next year!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#223 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 04:22:22 pm
2.  Flash/onsight 8a.

high winds + perma-draws = missing hangers. Grim.

tomtom

• forum hero
#224 Re: Aims for 2015
December 15, 2015, 04:28:47 pm
6. Finish PhD
Handed in yesterday.

'kinnel - YYFY! nice one..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal