• forum hero
#275 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2016, 09:21:20 pm
1. Make 7C the new 7B
I think I did one more 7B last year than 7Cs this year, so :dance1:

2. Stu's roof at Almscliff
YEAH BUDDY  ;D

3. Do a wank, esoteric, Yorkshire grit, first ascent

Two! One of which was at a crag with no name, or any other problems for that matter.
- Hoody Hoo 6C+ at Hood Crag
- Dog Walkers' Mantle 6B at "Dog Walkers' Crag"

Videos (NSFW for decluttering purposes only)
NSFW  :

4. Go sport climbing, climb a new grade
Went sport climbing thrice this year and didn't try anything hard. Sent a 7b second go, which would have been my second of the grade, but I'm retro downgrading my other one (since it's likely 7a+ anyway) and taking this as a official first of the grade...  :whistle:

5. Fix body
Finally went to see a physio so at least I know what's up with me. My tweaky finger isn't that bad either atm.

Definitely seen a big improvement in my climbing this year, psyched for 2016.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#276 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 01:11:13 pm
Get some really esoteric niche research published So esoteric, and so niche. Boom.

Multi pitch multi day aid soloing Did do some multi pitch multi day aid though. In the jungle.

Become capable of surfing on the non-frothy bit of a wave Didn't surf nearly as much as I'd have liked. I reckon I'm capable now but still haven't managed to drop in at the right time & place to stay ahead of a wave.

Keep making steps towards being a gnarly ski mountaineer. 1) Ski touring 2) Try winter climbing!
Did a little bit of both but nowhere near as much as I'd have liked.

Suffer. Aspire to gnarliness. Think jungle big wall aid chosseteering just about counted. Especially when we had to boil the digestive fluids of carnivorous plants to make tea.

F8a on trad gear

More cleaning/new routing - learn to bolt. Got some tasty things I want to get stuck into next year though.

Siege a sport route successfully, ideally at Ansteys or Shipwreck. Haven't done anything that's taken more than a day or two, and still not even been to Shipwreck.

Try some things off the bucket list - Quarryman, Point Blank, From Dusk Til Dawn, Infinite Gravity, Totally Free II, Tom et Je Ris, La Piton, Loskot & Two Smoking Barrels, Poema de Roca (to the top), Tabou Zizi, Magic Carpet Ride would all qualify.

Did significantly worse on Loskot than last year, only got 3 days in Buoux before having to come home (planning on returning soon though) but made up for all that on the Quarryman.  :o   

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#277 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 02:17:46 pm
Finding inspiring and useful goals was surprisingly difficult for me. That in itself tells me something...

Goals for 2015:

1.  Trying to redpoint something hard, and not giving up just because it takes more than a few tries.

12 tries where almost every attempt was a slight improvement hardly qualifies?

2.  Trying something very long and quite runout (the red-point crux should be at least 55 above ground) (probably in Gorges du Tarn, but Verdon is also OK) that is hard enough so that I take at least a few really long falls. [Not being fazed by the falls would be a BHAG]
Tried Tom et Je Ris for one afternoon. Couldn't be bothered to walk back all the way for round two.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#278 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 03:09:10 pm
Finding inspiring and useful goals was surprisingly difficult for me. That in itself tells me something...

Goals for 2015:

1.  Trying to redpoint something hard, and not giving up just because it takes more than a few tries.

Weren't they 12 tries at Oliana? i.e. 4-6 climbing days? That qualifies for at least orange in my opinion.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#279 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 03:24:59 pm
My 2016 dream list>

Healthily drop to 12 stone without getting all neurotic about it.

Boulder 8A on grit........Candidates: The Joker, Thick end of the wedge?

Do mecca......before it lives up to its name!

Consolidate sport 7C....my grade pyramid is kinda upside down

Close a Captains of Crush 2......

See a physio about my dodgy knees!

Go to embarasin.

Learn to not need to validate myself through the achievement of ultimately meaningless pursuits

Read less Nietzsche

andy_e

• forum hero
#280 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 03:32:05 pm
Wrong thread, I blame banana finger.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:45:56 pm by andy_e »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#281 Re: Aims for 2015
January 05, 2016, 03:36:40 pm

Goals for 2015:

Weren't they 12 tries at Oliana? i.e. 4-6 climbing days? That qualifies for at least orange in my opinion.

Alas, no. I only had 5-6 tries on Fish eye. Both the weather (Lleida fog) and lack of suitable routes for my better half drove me away. It didn't help that the route was boringly difficult.

I did have 4 days and about 10 tries on Golpe de Gas in Bruixes (falling on the last bolt on the first and most subsequent tries), and I take orange if I get it ... but no, my goal was more to try a long bitter siege with uncertain outcome. It's a lot easier for me to give just one more go on something I'm quite confident I'll do and should have already done really ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal