UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206833 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
it was utter toss...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Has anyone tried The Saffron Club?

:wave: Went last week and go every few months or so.  Pretty good curries, the Jingha Puree starter is delicious.  Staff are very efficient and polite too.

dave

shortie's peeps went to the Canteen (upstairs in thyme crosspool) the other week and said it was poor. fish with soggy batter etc.

cofe

• forum hero
The Cricket Inn at Totley does very good pub food - bit pricey for eating in a pub.

went last night. food was generally OK but the service was pretty shit. i won't be rushing back.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

The Inn at Troway is run by the same people who run the Cricket Inn. Same menu, different location.

Dolly

• forum hero
Have you been there (Troway) Bubs ?
I've heard mixed reports

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Yeah, it was ok, same as Cricket really - good pub grub, some nice beers - nothing incredible but tasty.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer

If only somewhere served food like you get in India.  :goodidea:

There is a place called east and west on Abbeydale Road near the mosque that sells really good sri lankan and south indian food that tastes exactly the same as how I remember the food being in India. It is quite cheap and the portions are big. They have Masala Dosa, Idly, Biryani and all sorts of other tastey treats.
 It isn't much to look at as it is really just a takeaway with a few tables inside, but it always seems to be popular with Indian families which I take to be a good sign. I have a friend from Tamil Nadu who goes there regularly as he thinks it is the only adequate substitute for Indian food in Sheffield.

T_B

• forum hero
The Cricket Inn at Totley does very good pub food - bit pricey for eating in a pub.

went last night. food was generally OK but the service was pretty shit. i won't be rushing back.

I've been a few times (as a couple, with a big group and with family) and have only had a v positive experience.  Last time the service was particularly friendly and helpful. You must have caught someone having a bad day?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

There is a place called east and west on Abbeydale Road near the mosque that sells really good sri lankan and south indian food that tastes exactly the same as how I remember the food being in India. It is quite cheap and the portions are big. They have Masala Dosa, Idly, Biryani and all sorts of other tastey treats.
 It isn't much to look at as it is really just a takeaway with a few tables inside, but it always seems to be popular with Indian families which I take to be a good sign. I have a friend from Tamil Nadu who goes there regularly as he thinks it is the only adequate substitute for Indian food in Sheffield.
I'll second this. I've had two take aways, both good and very differnt from usual curry fare. The only slight problem is the lack of english descriptions of the dishes on the menu, so you don't really have a clue what you're ordering or what goes with what, but trial and error has proved mostly successful so far.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I'll second this. I've had two take aways, both good and very differnt from usual curry fare. The only slight problem is the lack of english descriptions of the dishes on the menu, so you don't really have a clue what you're ordering or what goes with what, but trial and error has proved mostly successful so far.

This sounds good, and ideally located to check out on the way back from crags late at night (for me at least  :thumbsup:)

cofe

• forum hero

I've been a few times (as a couple, with a big group and with family) and have only had a v positive experience.  Last time the service was particularly friendly and helpful. You must have caught someone having a bad day?

we caught about 4 people having a bad day.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Went to Hui Wei last night, the chinese next door to the Saffron Club on the top of West Street/Glossop Road.

Aside from forgetting to put extra green chilli's on my prawn and black bean sauce (as it recommends in the menu!) the food was very good (particularly the deep fried squid starter) efficient service and reasonably priced (~£30 for two of us, although no wine and only one beer was had).

fatkid2000

• junky

we caught about 4 people having a bad day.

I went into the cricket last Saturday - as had been riding up on Blakka with the Mrs. It took an age to get a pint - we only wanted a quick drink and the Crown down the road was shut. I think its got too popular and seems to be doing too much - all day food etc. You can't keep standards high if food is served all day the chefs were taking a break in one corner and they looked fucked and it was only 4 pm. It was also full of those over dressed Ecclesall Road types - one tart was moaning I was dripping sweat on the bar - it's a fucking pub not some posh restaurant.

However I have recently eaten twice at Milano's - great food & service. They cook stuff I can't cook at home and they do it really well, so in my mind worth paying for. Oh and Another mention for Zeugma on London Road - great food, just wish it was more spacious - although it now has air-con. We often pop in for early tea on a Saturday if we have missed lunch, as long as you are done by 7 pm - as they then have the annoying 2 sitting thing at 7 & 9 which is all too common in Sheffield restaurants.

SamT

• forum hero

Anyone been to Le Bistrot Pierre by sommerfields on Eccy road. Big newbuild thing that looks quite swish.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Its fine - nothing amazing, but perfectly OK, and reasonable prices. We will go back, they have some interesting looking Wednesday and Tuesday night thing; one is 3 courses with an appropriate glass of wine with each for £25, the other is 6 courses for £20. Details are on the website.

Just a shame that the lovely big windows look over a main road one way and Somerfield carpark the other.

psychomansam

• forum hero
On the "extremely cheap" side (for students and bums like me)

If you need lunch in town, "rise" opposite tesco on west street does stone-baked pizzas (toscana and fiorentina particularly good) of about the same quality as pizza express except you get a large pizza (or salad/baguette) and drink (bottle sol, coke, juice) 12-4 = £5.50. Accentuates just what a rip off pizza express is!!

Not for any type of special occasion but i seem to end up there for lunch at least once a week in the summer if i'm bored!

Any recommendations for decent places with cheap daytime/early evening dining at mo?

:-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Anyone been to Le Bistrot Pierre by sommerfields on Eccy road. Big newbuild thing that looks quite swish.

Its fine - nothing amazing, but perfectly OK, and reasonable prices. We will go back, they have some interesting looking Wednesday and Tuesday night thing; one is 3 courses with an appropriate glass of wine with each for £25, the other is 6 courses for £20. Details are on the website.

Just a shame that the lovely big windows look over a main road one way and Somerfield carpark the other.

Yeah it's nothing special but pretty good for the money.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
if this thread got coverage on the Sheffield city forums some of you lushes (read *I'm jealous coz I no longer have the time to eat out want I want*) would either be banned form everywhere in the city or become something a al Homer the foodtaster..

quality... once I actually get the time to go out I'll be following some of these recommendations, cheers.

BTW, there is Persian restaurant on the abbaydale rd, not far from the Works going out of town, the menu looks good... it is?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
it was utter toss...
Well, I went back last Thursday, and it was still very good. Not quite as good as before as the fresh coriander tandoori chicken was a little overdone, but everything else was good. Mung Dhal and slighty (and pleasingly) singed poppadoms especially. Good lamb dishes and nice breads too.  :shrug: :P

Fatdoc: The Persian is pretty good, only been once but seem to remember it was nice, if not earthshattering, in that middle eastern genre.

SamT

• forum hero
Cheers .. checking it out tonight and will post back.

What do other folks think of Mish Mash on Eccy road.

We really like it, great little "fish and chips with a twist" thing for lunch once, and not bad for the money. It always seems a bit quiet though, would be a shame if it went under due to lack of custom.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Pierre Bistrot is part of a chain and the majority of the food will be the equivalent of ready made boil in the bag.

or perhaps http://www.3663.co.uk/

cofe

• forum hero
What do other folks think of Mish Mash on Eccy road.

very good. both for lunch and evening stuff. it's never been full when i've been. not sure why. loads better than some places.

SamT

• forum hero
Cheers .. checking it out tonight and will post back.

Yeah - OK, nothing sparkling. Went for the "long weekend" option, available on a sunday/monday night. Any 2 courses off the early bird menu and a bottle of house red for 17.90 per person. so thats a bottle of wine each!!, reasonable amount of choice on that menu.
Wine was drinkable, mackerel pate was good, but the rare steak was far to chewy for my liking.  Ambiance was quite loud and 'clattery', service a bit slow.
On the whole, fine, good value for money on that deal, but nowt to write home about. 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal