UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 205587 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
It might be an obvious question, but have you eaten at Nirmal's on Glossop Road ?
Especially good if you are a vegetarian.
It is more expensive though

dave

my shortie has had work meals at nirmals and said it was shit.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Do any of these fuckers deliver? Google is not helping.

Please don't do the liver joke.

dave

Do any of these fuckers deliver?

no they just do lamb, chicken, prawns etc. (its no use editing your post after i reply....).

i'll check when I get home if bilash deliver.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
my shortie has had work meals at nirmals and said it was shit.

I didn't see what all the fuss was about with Nirmals tbh. Nice enough but nothing special.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Do any of these fuckers deliver?

no they just do lamb, chicken, prawns etc. (its no use editing your post after i reply....).

i'll check when I get home if bilash deliver.

:lol:

I clicked post and then immediately edited it you quick mofo!

Cheers. Bilash would only be a short drive to mine so if they do it could be a goer.

Dolly

• forum hero
I didn't see what all the fuss was about with Nirmals tbh. Nice enough but nothing special.

I think if you're vegetarian then its quite a bit better than the limited menus you get at most places.
Its a pity that we haven't got any (AFAIK) Southern Indian mainly veggie restaurants in Sheffield.

dave

actually for vegelesbians there's a relativey extensive veg menu at both bilash and rajput takeaways - we quite often order all veg shit just cost its so damn good, and cheaper.

Dolly

• forum hero
Might try the Bilash then.
Had a takeaway from them years ago and thought it was OK but not great.
That was about 12 years ago so its probably completely different now

Plattsy

• forum hero
We are pretty much the wrong side of town for delivery places but here are our recommendations based on disliking the same old crap british indian food and having spent two weeks in India.

Jinnahs - Ecclesfield Rd
Has a wide range of dishes including I think a thali (very traditional Indian dish - small portions of many dishes). Collection only I think.

- Shalesmoor Rd
Rated by some Indian colleagues and personally I think it is pretty authentic too. Collection only again although I might be wrong.

- Firth Park Rd.
Really rate this place. You can eat in but we never have. The food is very good and reasonably priced. Do deliver but probably wrong side of town for you.
This person liked it http://www.qype.co.uk/place/172782-Eastern-Eye-Sheffield
They also mention a few other places we've tried such as and who are pretty good and do take away (delivery unknown).

Getting further away. Another option is Elachis at Hoyland. Also pretty good restaurant who do take away. They do a handi of the day which is a bit of a lottery but you always have to ask just in case it sounds good.

A small mention for Bayleaves - Not been for while but enjoyed it last time we had takeaway from there.

Hmmm something of a relationship developing here. Good restaurants providing good take away.

If only somewhere served food like you get in India.  :goodidea:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
One nearby seemed marginally better than most so we've stuck with them but having experienced a different level in quality I'm ready to ditch them if there is anywhere approaching this level in the area.

So, is there?   :shrug:

I really don't mind paying a bit more  :greed: if the food is that much better. This is all about the quality.

The nearby one isn't Tanzella's is it Jasper?  Wrote them off a long time ago, but was famished Saturday and wife had eaten so popped up for collection (2 for 1 on main courses on collection) and the Jalfrazi has improved massively, exceptionally nice and nowhere near as greasy as they used to be.

Mehran in Darnal has been the takeway/delivery of choice for us for some time though and they deliver free of charge on orders over £10 (and as we're round the corner from you that should be fine too), well worth checking out.

If you're going out to eat Cafe Guru in town (just up from Frog & Parrott) is very nice.  Last time I was in there just before xmas there as 10 or 15% discount Sunday-Thursday (or something like that) as they were struggling from "The Reccession".

Second Dave's Rajput recommendation in Crookesmoor (not just for veggies either).  They've recently expanded and opened a restaurant on the side too which is rather nice.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah Tanzeela's. It isn't bad at all, just not in the same league as the place we ate from in Brighton!

Thanks people. A few to go at there.

T_B

• forum hero
Not been to the Bilash for years. Personally, I still rate the jalfrezi from the Kebab House, opposite the Broadie.

Agree, Nirmals is crap.

Why is there such a dearth of decent Indian restaurants in Sheff?!

For outside S Yorks, this is the best curry I've had by miles http://www.rasarestaurants.com/UserPages/Viewrestaurantdetails.aspx?restid=33

dave

Why is there such a dearth of decent Indian restaurants in Sheff?!

is there a dearth? I would quite happily eat out at places like estikutum (attercliffe), ranmoor tandoori, panahar, royal spice (walkley), indian chef (crookes), jaflong (crookes) the mangla, aishas (eccy road) and rajput on commonside (since they've apparently got a sit-in now). and that's only the ones I know, which is by no means exhaustive.

Paul B

• forum hero
There's nothing stunning in that list though...

dave

if you got better ones don't be shy. generally speaking them i've listed are all easily above average for standard not-too-expensive non-a-la-carte style typical bangladeshi-run british indian restaurants. places i would (and have done) go back to. certainly up to the standard of "decent" places T_B says we have a dearth of. in my opinion not below par compared to elsewhere in the country that i've eaten at. you can add Aagrah in leopold square to that list too, great food good atmosphere.

i actually think we don't do bad at all for "decent" curryhouses in sheffield. the only 2 i've been to and wouldn't go back to are Sahibs on west street (just really poor) and Vijays on Charter Square (average food and I got food poisoning).

Paul B

• forum hero
I thought the point was theres nothing available a notch above the restaurants you listed?
I wouldn't venture near 7 spices at West Bar...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Hang on, we're talking about curries here.

Now admittedly the English curries bear little resemblance to those from their country of origin, but in said country some of the best are served in the street in a rough and ready manner (and if you go for chicken you're likely to get beaks & claws in there too).  Thus for me at least its all about the flavour, not the décor/ambiance of the place and how well the food is presented, and of those listed so far there are some damn fine examples.

Best tip I have for curry tasting is to have a "signature" dish that you always have when you go to a new place (or even upon repeat visits).  That way you can actually compare like for like.  Its also worth noting that the chef on duty can be the make or break as they will sometimes have individual styles, so its often worth going to a place more than once, on different nights to get a rounded view.

Are people angling for a Curry Mile for Sheffield?  Best one I've ever been in along there is the Punjab Tandoori, the parathas are gorgeous.  Might have helped that my friend was chatting to them in Punjabi, but subsequent visits without friend have met the same high standards.

T_B

• forum hero
you can add Aagrah in leopold square to that list too, great food good atmosphere.

Yeah, that's the only place i eat out for currys (in Sheff) these days. World's speediest service! not had a takeaway from there but maybe tonight... :beer2:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Aagrah b2b Ashoka for quality. Those are the best, there's quite a few that are close and loads of reasonably good ones in the next tier down.

Paul B

• forum hero
Ashoka was toss when I last went there.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Wasn't keen on Aggraaaaaaaah when I was there.

Food was ok, portions sizes weren't anything to write home about.

Contrary to what I wrote above though (about setting etc. of said restaurant) it was a bit too rushed for my liking and they seemed like they were trying to get you in, sat down, ordered, served and then out as quick as possible.

If I'm going out to eat I like to take a little time over the evening and enjoy it, not be herded through as though I'm on a conveyer belt.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Paul B

• forum hero
I haven't but have been told its quite good. What 'quite' means I'm not 'quite' sure.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Ashoka was toss when I last went there.
Heresy  >:(

You must have been unlucky, I went 4 or so times in the last couple of years and it was great each time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal