UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 205512 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Had some excellent food last night at Sakushi bit pricey if you have too many purple dishes, but lots to choose from.  Didn't try any of the noodle dishes, but they looked good (and very generous too).  Yellow fin tuna sashimi melted in the mouth and tempura prawns were dead tasty :)

Sit right by the kitchen counter and you can a) grab dishes as they come out; b) request specific dishes without the having to ask a waiter  :thumbsup:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Went to Moran's (a while ago though) for Ms Bubbs' birthday - it was excellent.

Just booked a table at Fischers in Baslow for the gf's 30th. Has anyone been or heard anything about this place?
I've been a couple of times, though not very recently.

Food is fantastic but I found the atmosphere very stuffy. Very formal, almost a bit uncomfortable - everyone was speaking in whispers. Service was also a bit overbearing - I like to be able to pour my own wine, not have it stored at the side of the room and then have a waiter hover over you constantly to watch for when you need a refill.

Found the Old Vicarage similar - beautiful food but stuffy atmosphere.

I agree entirely with your experiance at the Old Vicarage, nice but very hushed. We've been to Fischers a couple of times and found it much friendlier, and better atmosphere. Probably depends on the night as much as anything else; that and the fact that when we've been to Fischers its been with a few friends, so we could well have been making our own noise...

Been to Morans too, very nice but not really in the same league as Fischers in terms of food. Damn sight more convenient though.

Plattsy

• forum hero
 :thumbsup: Double thumbs up for Fischers. Amazing experience. Great food and wine. Loved the chef special surprises (more restaurants should do these). Thought the atmosphere wasn't too stuffy, although it did feel more formal than I'm used to. The waiters were attentive but this wasn't a problem (don't know why). Also they were all eccentric, in their own way, which is always a bonus.

Going to try Morans and also maybe Greenhead restaurant once I've paid for this meal.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Glad you had a good time - the first time we went to Fischers it was nice, it was our 2nd visit that put us off with the stuffiness. Hopefully it was just a bad night.

dave

we went to moran's a couple of weeks ago for shorties b-day. was quite good. slightly disapointing they didn't have any proper beers on, the most passable thing was to order a grossly overprices bottle of guiness extra cold out of the fridge and sit there with your hands round the bottle for 20minutes to warm it to the point where you can actually taste the stuff. other than that, i had no complaints.

Paul B

• forum hero
We went to Thyme last night and had a rather average meal which was very disappointing. I think it was something to do with being a bank holiday Monday and everyone wanting to be somewhere else...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I think its not quite as good as it was these days. I dont mean by loads, and maybe its just that I have been too often and am misty eyed eulogising its early days, but i'm less impressed these days. Anyway, on a similar theme and worth a look for all of y'all gastro skin flints out there, swing past Canteen upstairs at Artisan in Crosspool. Its what used to be catch and is now an economy based restaurant. Is pretty good. 2 courses for a tenner, three for 12, usual quality of Richard Smith food but with less frilly menu options. Portions are small, but at 2 for a tenner you'll be having a starter and you probably shouldnt have a dessert anyway you fat bastard.

Lunchtimes you can have a sandwich for £4. This is such good value its amazing. If you cant book a table - try just rocking up, we've never booked and have always managed to get in fairly quickly.

Plattsy

• forum hero
catch

Darn it. Wanted to try this plaice.

The Italian (Pappa Ciccios) just down the way from this is pretty good I think. Plus the decor is amazing. Very erm kitsch. Another good point to any restaurant of a certain calibre.

dave

yeah pappa ciccios is our favourite italian this side of town. always good shit there, plus its bring your own. In contrast to the other italian place in crosspool which i thought was mediocre and I got some nonplus foodpoisoning there.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
We went to Thyme last night and had a rather average meal which was very disappointing. I think it was something to do with being a bank holiday Monday and everyone wanting to be somewhere else...

Had the same experience when I went over Easter weekend - my other half had a very average cottage pie that I could have made at home, and while my chorizo stew was plentiful, it wasn't brilliant.

Oh, and I'll throw in a big up to The Milestone in Kelham Island - a bit out of the way but very good as gastropubs go. They've got a restaurant upstairs with full services, and the pub downstairs is standard gastro fare.

The only thing I'd say is avoid it on a Friday night, and don't sit near the bar we did and despite the place being pretty overtly pitched as an eating venue we got surrounded by a middle aged weekend bashment, and as a result I couldn't hear my girlfriend speak. Admit this this was a schoolboy error on my part though.

Paul B

• forum hero
Oh, and I'll throw in a big up to The Milestone in Kelham Island - a bit out of the way but very good as gastropubs go. They've got a restaurant upstairs with full services, and the pub downstairs is standard gastro fare.

Really close to me this, was it expensive or ok if you don't mind me asking.

I find it a little funny that thyme has a cookbook "thyme after thyme" "the secret of consistent cooking"

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Oh Jesus - Paul, after my tapas recommendation I'm worried I'm selling you a dummy here, but in the spirit of caveat emptor and all that...

Not too bad - IIRC around £70 for two, and we had a couple of drinks beforehand, main courses and desserts (my lemon meringue pie was ace), coffees and a mid-list bottle of rouge. They do a good thing where they're getting involved in breeding livestock for meat, I had some of the sausages from their pigs and while they were a touch overcooked it didn't spoil them.

Upstairs is more pricey, and I suspect more food-y dishes/ quiet. We're defo going again, but gonna do it on a weeknight when there should be less chance of landing in the middle of someone's 40th.

Link to their site below - might be worth popping on recon for a pint to check out the bar menu as it's certainly changed from what's on the site:

http://www.the-milestone.co.uk/

Paul B

• forum hero
On the contrary, I think you've just answered my prayers! Somewhere in Sheffield that does Egg's Benedict from 11am at weekends... Mmmmmmm It can't get much better than that (unless of course its shite).

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Stick a recommendation from me in the pile for the Milestone. This place is lovely. They were doing an early bird (perhaps 5-7pm) deal which was perhaps 2 for 1 or something like that. Whatever, its well nice. I would be happy paying full shebazz for the pleasure of eating there, is good. Service very attentive and genuinely bothered rather than fawning. All locally sourced produce too.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Sounds interesting, a wide variety of food with a....fancy sounding restaurant menu. I like the idea of Sheep Week :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Aye, will have to check the Milestone out, looks well nice.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Could have a UKB heptuple dinner date meet there.

Or NOT.

Paul B

• forum hero
i think I'll be testing this place out Sat brunch and Sunday munch. I'll report back.

Paul B

• forum hero
i think I'll be testing this place out Sat brunch and Sunday munch. I'll report back.

Brunch this morning
Cocktails tonight
and I've got a meal booked with my folks tomorrow.

So far, Tommytwotone I owe you a LOT of karma (and its positive!)...

Paul B

• forum hero
The Milestone: Kelham Island

Saturday morning Nat and I went for birthday brunch. We both had the double eggs-benedict which was nigh on perfect apart from one of the four eggs being hard poached (boo!).

Saturday night we stopped in for drinks, the cocktails were good, Leffe Done right was a surprisingly good one.

Sunday night my folks stopped by so we went for the early bird menu. This is where it all went a little tits up. Seated, order drinks and I get told mine is off. Fair enough. Everyone picked their food and as we came to order got told that two items from the menu were no longer available (from the early bird menu this is quite significant) and its a bit annoying that they didn't point it out at the start (when I still had a drink left!).

Starter (a salmon dish substituted from the main menu) was poor
Main course was ok but the lamb burger I ordered was pretty dry. The chips were damn good.
Desert, dark treacle tart was more of a treacle cake. It looked the part but my god there were some things wrong with it. They'd put what they like to call their "home-made jelly tot" on the side, a home-made gelatine sweet of some kind. It took 5 minutes to eat a 1 inch cube and left most of my teeth glued together. The base of the cake was so hard I had to shield myself from it with my other hand while I chopped.

BUT... 2 courses for 12 quid with a glass of wine or a local pint? Pretty good value for money. I won't be rushing back to sample dishes from the main menu as the dish substituted for the missing started was no better plus all of the dishes featured on the Early Bird Menu also feature on the main menu.

I WILL go back for Brunch and drinks.

Its also worth noting that they do a cocktail master-class, learn how to mix 6 classic cocktails and then leave smashed (its cheaper than buying the 6!).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Went to Silversmiths yesterday evening before seeing St Etienne at the Leadmill. Wednesday's and Thursdays they do a shortened menu and it's 3 courses for £15. Bargain! There were two starters to choose from, three mains and three desserts, it was actually nice not to have to decide between loads of options. The Mrs didn't want dessert so they only charged £12 for the two courses, a nice touch.

I can't be bothered going into detail but basically everything was really, really good. Great food, excellent friendly service, nice cocktails and wine and the place is very nicely done out. As Lagers & Mrs Starfish had given us a voucher to spend there it didn't cost me much at all but it was more than reasonable anyway.

I can't recommend it enough. Oh and St Etienne were awesome and The Leadmill was rammed with mid thirties ex ravers. 

;D  :dance1:

Oli

• obsessive maniac
On recommendations from here, went to Silversmiths this evening on the spur of the moment. All I can do is echo previous sentiments about value, quality and service.  :thumbsup: I'll definitely be heading back at some stage in the near future, and would agree with Jasper that the 3 course for £15 menu is mega.

I would offer waddage for all those recommending it, but I'd feel uneasy spreading so much love to so many people. ;) Consider yourself all honorarily wadded...

Paul B

• forum hero
Strangely we ended up back at the Milestone the other night as it was convenient.

It didn't start well as they'd scrubbed my previously recommended cocktail but from there on the evening was nigh on perfect.

Again we all ate from the Early Bird Menu but this time the Chef must have either been different or last time wasn't brining his A-game. It was all presented better and the main point; it tasted a f*ck load better.

Slightly worrying that it seems a little variable but nonetheless, a tentative recommendation here.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
A quick search didn't reveal anything relevant so I'm posting in here.........

Had the best Indian take away I have ever eaten from on Sunday night. Not a lot of use to those of us in the South Yorkshire area unfortunately and it got me thinking. We've tried a variety of different Indian delivery places and found them all to be pretty much of a muchness when it comes to price and (variable) quality. One nearby seemed marginally better than most so we've stuck with them but having experienced a different level in quality I'm ready to ditch them if there is anywhere approaching this level in the area.

So, is there?   :shrug:

I really don't mind paying a bit more  :greed: if the food is that much better. This is all about the quality.

dave

ok the ruby takeways i've gravitated to:

rajput on commonside, walkey - dope (this and the freedom house are the 2 things i miss about walkley).

bilash, hunters bar (sharrowvale road) - fly

have eaten in at the ranmmor tandoori and panahar on fulwood road loads of times (both run by the same peeps, same menu) so takeaway from there aught to be decent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal