UKBouldering.com

Speed Limits (Read 22780 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 04:58:24 pm
Driving out to the limestone the other day I noticed that the road past the chequers is now a 30mph limit and it seems they're in the process of turning the road out of stoney into a 50. Has it been like this for long (surely not)? I completely missed the 30's the first time I drove out that way and only half of the 50's weren't covered in bin bags however the first one without a bag made me a little uneasy.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:04:01 pm
There's a road like that near me that used to be a 60 and whilst i was at uni they changed it to half being 40 and half being 50, i keep going 60 though because i forget it's changed. But it makes me wonder, I travelled along that road every day for 8 years and never saw a crash, or have heard of any, so why change the limit? They've left a 100m section of it at 60 though, it makes absolutely no sense.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:08:03 pm
The road under Froggatt Edge past The Chequers, 30mph?  :o

Came back this way on Sunday and never noticed that.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:10:29 pm
Not all of it, if coming up the hill turn the 90 deg bend past the bridge and jumping in the river spot, then just as you enter the village 30mph until after the chequers. I was a bit concerned that I might not be the only one to have missed the signs out of just shear habit. It seems like a logical place to try and make safer but they could make the signage a bit less obscured by tree's!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:12:31 pm
Indeed. Never saw a bloody thing.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:24:30 pm
Look!

Let's get something straight:  the shit heap is my turf!  This is where I hang out and do rude stuff! 

Why has someone polluted the filth of the shit heap w/ a serious subject?   

wtf?

:furious:

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:32:48 pm
because there was a high chance that those limits had been there a long time and that I am just a half wit  ;) chill houdini, feel free to check out some more meat instead of checking replies.

dave

#7 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:37:14 pm
yeah its been like that on the chequers bit for a week or so now.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:40:35 pm
The Stoney ones have certainly been there for the past month. I don't remember them being there last Autumn which was probably the last time I drove that way up until the last few weeks.

yeah its been like that on the chequers bit for a week or so now.

I am blind.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#9 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 05:44:30 pm
You've been in the Raw Meat thread too long!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 10:20:37 pm
I think this may be part of the council's response to the local complaints about quarry traffic up this road. This is one of the reasons the longstone edge quarry is so unpopular.

The snake has been all 50 for a while now and I think it will spread.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#11 Re: Speed Limits
June 10, 2008, 10:56:09 pm
It seems Derbyshire CC / Police are dropping a lot of speed limits at the moment. The Buxton Road that covers Staffs and Derbys' now has a speed limit change from National Speed limit in Staffs to a 50mph limit at the Derbys' border.

Yet more proof that West is best  ;D

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#12 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 09:28:45 am
Get out of the shit heap!!!    :furious:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 01:18:56 pm
Lots of reductions in the Chapel en le Frith/Chinley/Buxton area too. Though one of them (the Whaley to Chapel back road) was long overdue IMHO.  I'm a really slow driver these days anyway so I don't notice.... (needs old man with cane avatar)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 01:35:37 pm

I saw one of the Derbyshire Filth's "stealth speed vans" on the Snake a few months back. It was an old battered looking blue builders van parked untidily in a tiny pull-in spot. Only reason I spotted it was coz I was in a line of already slow moving traffic.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#15 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 03:35:15 pm

I saw one of the Derbyshire Filth's "stealth speed vans" on the Snake a few months back. It was an old battered looking blue builders van parked untidily in a tiny pull-in spot. Only reason I spotted it was coz I was in a line of already slow moving traffic.

I was got by one of those at Ringinglow last year, parked behind the millwheel. I imagine either not breaking hard enough on the way in or that I had accelerated out of the 30 a little too zealously for their liking.

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 03:45:54 pm

Now thats not on is it.

I still can't see the benefits of the 50's out of stoney, even if what JB says is correct.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 03:50:24 pm
I think this may be part of the council's response to the local complaints about quarry traffic up this road. This is one of the reasons the longstone edge quarry is so unpopular.

The speed limit for lorries is 40mph on all single lane roads already so a 50 limit won't make any difference to quarry traffic.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#18 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 05:11:46 pm
The Froggatt bit is 30 which is what I was referring to. Its not like the quarry trucks stick to 40 though is it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Re: Speed Limits
June 11, 2008, 05:48:50 pm

Well no, but nor do cars stick to 50/60 - the only things that really slows down traffic properly imho are SPECS cams, but they're very expensive and they'd just get vandalised in the Peak.

fatkid2000

• junky
#20 Re: Speed Limits
June 24, 2008, 07:57:42 pm
Apparently people are sticking to the speed limit more frequently now - mainly due to the cost of fuel, and people realising slower = more efficient. If you have ever seen a person after a car accident in the peaks you may understand why the limits may be being more harshly applied.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#21 Re: Speed Limits
June 24, 2008, 08:08:28 pm
If you have ever seen a person after a car accident in the peak you may understand why the limits may be being more harshly applied.

I agree there, but as far as I am aware there has never been proof that speed= accident.  It sounds totally logical, but all government causes of crashes are errors unrelated to speed?  Correct me if I'm wrong, which I may well be.

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Speed Limits
June 24, 2008, 09:26:42 pm
I think you're correct but what someone pointed out to mewas the relationship between speed and energy, that energy usually ends up being dissipated through things/people and thus faster = nastier injuries.
In my experience of crashes (yes there have been more than one) there has always been an error (replace with twat) responsible. After seeing some of the suicide manoeuvres out in the peak district I'd wager a large majority of incidents are due to really dodgy overtakes.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#23 Re: Speed Limits
June 24, 2008, 09:36:30 pm
Being a biker and having been nearly taken out loads of times, I'd say it's people performing manoeuvres without being arsed to look and see who they are about to kill.    :wank:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#24 Re: Speed Limits
June 24, 2008, 09:54:16 pm
Apparently people are sticking to the speed limit more frequently now - mainly due to the cost of fuel, and people realising slower = more efficient. If you have ever seen a person after a car accident in the peaks you may understand why the limits may be being more harshly applied.

Well I'd be very bloody happy if people stuck to the national limit all the time. 60 is a fine speed for fuel effeciency and actually getting somewhere in a half-way tolerable time. And indeed a fine speed for some of the roads in question (albeit as an absolute minimum for some of the straights). So if people are sticking to it, why the flaming fuck are the limits being reduced to teethgrinding 50s and lower - which not only ends up with some bumbly pissing along at 40-45 (hardly even worthy of being called a "speed", it's practically in reverse...55 on a decent road is fine but 40-45 on the same road is just beyond the limits of common sense and tolerance) but also a queue of people behind too scared to trip over the bollox 50 limit and overtake, leaving a few nutters reduced to performing actually dangerous manoveures as PaulB points out, and me at the back chewing the steering wheel in frustrating at the stupid cuntishness of it all.

And yes I can understand that on some routes like the Snake, people were going way over the limit and a few were racing like lunatics so there is some vague need for enforcement there and that the 50 limit is not to keep people to the utterly ludicrous joke speed of 50 but to keep people from going way above the old 60 limit BUT I'd be far happier to keep the 60 limit and have camera enforcement of THAT - the day where I'm forced to stay at 60 for the whole Snake but actually DO stay at 60 for most of it apart from the bends, rather than 45-, would be a happy driving day for me.

Of course if they put half the effort into maintaining the surface so it wasn't so much like a fucking rollercoaster rather than a road in the middle of it, and maybe put some extra decent warning signs for the bendiest bits and some vaguely sensible middle markings, instead of new limits and cameras and such toss, it might actually make it a safer road to drive rather than merely a more frustrating one.

Bubba can you please move this to Shooting The Shit, it's a very worthy topic and I at least have only just started with the ranting...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal