UKBouldering.com

Targasonne (Read 4265 times)

Asterix

Targasonne
May 07, 2008, 10:46:26 am
Anyone been to Targasonne?  I'm planning a trip there this summer and would welcome some advice.  In particular, is there much in the lower grades (up to V3/V4)?  Is the granite there of the skin-wrecking (e.g. Dartmoor) variety?  Any views on the campsite at La Griole (good/bad, busy/quiet, etc)?

Cheers

mark

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Targasonne
May 07, 2008, 05:49:26 pm
Anyone been to Targasonne?  I'm planning a trip there this summer and would welcome some advice.  In particular, is there much in the lower grades (up to V3/V4)?  Is the granite there of the skin-wrecking (e.g. Dartmoor) variety?  Any views on the campsite at La Griole (good/bad, busy/quiet, etc)?

Cheers

I went in 2003. I think we were there in late spring or early summer. It was hot, anyway. In the middle of the summer I imagine it's  baking, so don't expect good bouldering conditions. I thought the place was great. Beautiful surroundings, good rock, interesting problems. Should be no problem finding plenty to do in the lower grades. The granite is pretty rough: big, sharp-edged grains. No idea about the campsite. We stayed in a gite nearby. Overall I though Targasonne was terrific.

Asterix

#2 Re: Targasonne
May 07, 2008, 06:17:33 pm
Thanks, Mark, that's helpful.  We've been a bit concerned about the temperature, but thought the altitude might help to keep it down (otherwise we may just have to limit climbing to mornings and evenings, with long liquid lunches and sleep in between!).

the_g_man

#3 Re: Targasonne
May 12, 2008, 02:37:02 pm
Just got back from a trip in the Ariege.  We headed up to Targassone for a few days.  We camped at La Griole, which is about 10 mins walk from the 'Chaos' sector, plus there two area's within about a 10 second walk of the camping field (You could easily spend a few days, without hardly leaving the campsite).  Campsite itself was ok, had toilets, showers, slackline, nice setting next to the boulders, all the usual stuff.  Supermarket about 10min drive up the road.  Pretty quiet when we were there, but people were coming and going all the time so I imagine it could get quite busy.

I agree with Mark, beautiful place with good range of problems, there's plenty to do, I think there was around 1100 problems in the guide.  I think there are still some undeveloped area's too.  I didn't think the rock was to bad on the skin, they felt a bit sore, but no flappers.

Temperatures while we were there, were around the late teens, maybe early 20s, bearing in mind it's quite high, so lower down i guess it would be around mid 20s.  We found the best times were early in the morning and the evening when it cooled loads, and chilled at the campsite in the afternoon.  It dropped quite cold at night around 2 deg I think.

I really enjoyed Targassone, could of spent a few weeks there.  Hope this helps.

Asterix

#4 Re: Targasonne
May 13, 2008, 11:37:29 am
Thanks, g-man.  Sounds perfect ... i'm really looking forward to the trip.

grimpeur

#5 Re: Targasonne
May 14, 2008, 03:15:49 pm
Hey Asterix. I'm in the south of France all summer, mainly around Lodève and the Ardeche, but will eventually be working my way down to Targasonne at some point. I Haven't been before either and climb at a similar grade to you, so who ever gets ther first can give the other some tips ;D

Asterix

#6 Re: Targasonne
May 15, 2008, 03:49:16 pm
Hey Monsieur le Grimpeur, we're planning to get to the campsite in Targasonne around 5th August and stay for a week or so ... hope to see you there  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal