UKBouldering.com

Cooking Injuries (Read 12644 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 08:21:54 pm
I just chopped the tip of my left thumb off (3mm of flesh under the skin) w/ a Chinese chopper!

Ha ha!

B O S S !!  8)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 08:35:33 pm
I'm sorry mate, but I find that quite amusing.  But only 'cos it's you  :-*

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 08:43:36 pm
Don't  worry, I'm in high spirits also.  Zee frau not so, he he!

Photobucket is shit slow, in time this will rotate R.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 08:45:35 pm
What has a picture of your cock in a hat got to do with anything?   :-\

I've had various cuts and burns.  Nothing hugely amusing I'm afraid.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 08:57:58 pm
'Him indoors' once chopped some fiery chillis, then forgot about it, got in the shower and washed his bits....

:lol: :lol:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 09:31:03 pm
Yowser.

My favorite is chopping chillis and then taking my contacts out. That smarts a bit.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 09:36:57 pm
Always found hashish on the tips plus contact removal tough.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 10:08:54 pm
'Him indoors' once chopped some fiery chillis, then forgot about it, got in the shower and washed his bits....

:great:

dave

#8 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 10:39:47 pm
I once badly cut my thumb opening a tin of corned beef.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#9 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 25, 2008, 10:45:53 pm

I did a similar thing. 1999 in a gite near Font. Crumbled up some dried chillies whilst cooking. After putting the food on to cook, I went for a wee. A few minutes later a warm sensation on my "old man" was become more and more uncomfortable. I realised straight away what I had done and jumped into the shower - this didn't work, the burning kept getting worse; in fact I was making it worse due to all the chili acid still on my fingers - the warm water seemed to hurt it even more. I had proper red, angry looking burn marks which were starting to scare me. I next tried standing with my burning organ in a glass of cold water - it still hurt a lot and was still getting worse. Finally, as I was thinking about getting proper medical help and trying to work out how to explain the situation in french, the then Mrs Starfish managed to fight through the floods of tears that were accompanying her howls of laughter and suggest that I use a pot of yogurt to sooth the pain - so I ended up standing there naked (from being in the shower) with my genitals submerged in a pot of yogurt (Danone Activia, plain), but so relieved that the very scary burning pain was finally going away that I didn't mind the pointing and screaming/laughing that I was subjected to for the next hour or so.
I haven't made the same mistake since.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 06:41:05 am
Best cooking injury must be disturbing the logs underneath a pan of fat n' bangers 30 years ago in Cub Scouts; it toppled on my hand affording said appendage a delightful Stay Puft Marshmallow Man look.

I've done the chilli thang too, though I was savvy enough to get it in a glass of milk pronto.  Hot water must've killed.

Yet to inspect the mess under the thumbs dressing . . .   Maybe tonite.  Felt kinda strange throwing a bit of nail and flesh in the bin . . .

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 07:52:39 am
Yowser.

My favorite is chopping chillis and then taking my contacts out. That smarts a bit.

Fuck me. The memory of that pain still makes me shudder.  :'(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 08:27:37 am
Yowser.

Bin there done that. How many people have scars on their arms and hands from brning them when takign stuff out the oven?

Something in dairy products (the lactose maybe?) neutralises whatever it is in chillis and curries that makes them hot? Why you put yoghurt in curries and drink lhassi. ( I think I learned that form an Iain Banks Novel?)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 08:37:06 am
Never considered just how useful my thumb was till now.  Using a fork is a chore  :(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 08:49:54 am
Never considered just how useful my thumb was till now.  Using a fork is a chore  :(

Now you know how we evolved from the apes.  ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#15 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:00:39 am

Is there a separate Powerball league for similarly injured heroes?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#16 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:03:38 am
Sending it west:  The guy on this vid was also injured by a Chinese chopper.  It's not work safe, it's not home safe.  It's fucking horrific.  He was a thief who got caught on the job.

You need to log-in to watch this video.

RE: Powerball, nah it's me left thumb tip.  It's fine, not a A & E job.  A mentally handicapped league might be a good idea though . . .  I chop my fingers regularly . . .  :-[

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:10:02 am by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:22:58 am
Seriously Doc's.

How does one treat a slicing injury?  Just removed the wadding from it, obviously it tore the scabby interface & my hand is above my head to stop it bleeding.  Yes, it 'kin hurt.  I'm keeping it in the open-air for a bit till all the blood has coagulated then I'll dress it again.  But what do you put on it?  I really didn't enjoy taking the last dressing off, even after soaking.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:30:42 am
I've got expensive antibiotic gel (Tyrosaur - cetylpyridiniumchlorid) which I'll smear on the fresh dressing.  I'd really like to keep the wound dry, but the gel will make it juicy again  :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:35:09 am
But what do you put on it?

fatdoc's Stump cream  ;D

More seriously, that doesn't look or sound comfortable, hope it heals soon.  My bro did something similar a few years back, not sure if he lopped off quite so much, but it was sizeable chunk missing from his finger tip.  Didn't get as deep as the bone, and it all grew back (eventually).

And that video is très nasty

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:38:44 am
Wish I had an E1 11 . . .

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#21 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:50:19 am
Sitting here now, looking at the blood on a wound slowly coagulate . . .   Oskar the hamster in his cage but feet away . . .  Thinking about all the hamsters that we used at University (their blood, taken from the sub-ocular sinus with a hypodermic syringe - sometimes they never recovered) so that I could do research into the action of a liver fluke on the process of fibrinolysis:  breaking down blot clots . . .  Maybe this is karma?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#22 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:52:01 am
I've got expensive antibiotic gel (Tyrosaur - cetylpyridiniumchlorid) which I'll smear on the fresh dressing.  I'd really like to keep the wound dry, but the gel will make it juicy again  :(

When I lost a big chunk of hand in Thailand (falling off a cliff into the sea trying to escape from curious sea snakes whilst fishing on my own miles from anywhere) I bought some antiseptic powder that kept the wound dry and free from infection - don't know what it was called, but it did the trick.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 09:59:07 am

When I lost a big chunk of hand in Thailand (falling off a cliff into the sea trying to escape from curious sea snakes whilst fishing on my own miles from anywhere)

Sorry mate but to me that's an even funnier mental image than the cock in yoghurt story.  :lol:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#24 Re: Cooking Injuries
March 26, 2008, 10:02:17 am
Sea snakes have the most potent venom on Earth. 

Yes I know the powder.  I've just smeared over the clot w/ antibacterial gel.  It's weird comparing thumbs...  I nearly chopped the fucking thing off!  Ha!

:lol: :alky:

(Note to self, drinky poos after cooking not before)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal