UKBouldering.com

Grading long problems (Read 14839 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 12:46:43 pm
Being a long problem enthusiast i was quite interested to hear about the latest link up in North Wales:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=333

Having tried this line myself and after seeing some good, strong climbers on it i was a bit bewildered when the consensus from the crag that day emerged as French 7c for this monster. I thought a V7 into a V6 into a V8 (albeit with a few jugs inbetween) would clock in at about V9/V10, 7c/7c+, not French 7c! I haven't climbed the line so maybe i should listen to the 3 ascentionists and shut up! But then again, maybe they're underestimating there own strength/ ability. One thing i can say is i know the likes of Ding Dong and Jim Mccormack don't fail on French 7c very often. Anyway its a cracking traverse whatever so props to Rob Lamey.
 :thumbsup:
What do you all think? Should these 30 move+ problems even be given bouldering grades or would French grades give a more accurate appraisal?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 12:51:08 pm
I've climbed loads of French 7c routes. Most have one V6 crux section at most. Even the short bouldery ones rarely push V7. V6 into V7 into V8 does not make French 7c, even if you step off and go for a brew between each section.

Doylo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 12:55:07 pm
you can see most of the traverse in this pic:

and this vid shows sorle climbing it minus the first V7 section:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHt3foMbRX4&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHt3foMbRX4&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Doylo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 12:56:11 pm
I've climbed loads of French 7c routes. Most have one V6 crux section at most. Even the short bouldery ones rarely push V7. V6 into V7 into V8 does not make French 7c, even if you step off and go for a brew between each section.

Yeah me too Jon, i don't get it!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:01:00 pm
Example - Weedkiller Traverse 7a+/V7. Most sport climbers (who know a thing or two about sport grades) consider it solid French 7c+, it used to be referred to as 'the 8a traverse' when I started climbing at the tor infact.
Either the boulder prob sections are overgraded or that French grade is way off.

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:06:01 pm
Well the V7 start is solid, the bit in the middle is prob a soft V6, the end (Happy New Year Start) could potentially be V7 but its basically a harder version of Karaoke Massacre which everyone seems to think is a solid V7 (except sorle- too strong) so prob is V8?

Doylo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:10:08 pm
Example - Weedkiller Traverse 7a+/V7. Most sport climbers (who know a thing or two about sport grades) consider it solid French 7c+, it used to be referred to as 'the 8a traverse' when I started climbing at the tor infact.
Either the boulder prob sections are overgraded or that French grade is way off.

good example, this traverse is in another league of difficulty to weedkiller!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:11:12 pm
 From an outsiders perspective it looks like the current Welsh scene is rife with faux-modest undergraders.

Doylo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:13:49 pm
From an outsiders perspective it looks like the current Welsh scene is rife with faux-modest undergraders.

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#9 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:20:17 pm
I climbed a link of three problems at woodwell last year. Closer (V6) into crucifix kiss (V7 dubious in my opinion ) into the footless marathon ( V6/7 ). I thought about it for a while and thought about V8. After speakin with a friend he agreed but could be tough one. Not sure how others would perceive this? 

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#10 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:22:38 pm

Perhaps so, but this is taking it to ludicrous levels. Consider Power Ranger at Malham which could be considered a long V4 into a V8; it's probably 8b+.

Linkups in general are difficult to judge without knowing the details of the problems. For example, it's a lot easier to link a 3 move V8 into a long V7 than the other way around... Also, how good are the rests?
From the vids, and depending on the quality of the rests on this linkup I'd have thought between 8a and 8b+ for this.

There is a tendency to underestimate the equivalent french grade of long problems. I think this is because the difficulty of working things on a rope tends to make things feel harder, relatively speaking. We covered similar ground in the thread following my ascent of make it funky.

Doylo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 01:27:46 pm
There's basically two rests, a good one after the first v7 and a reasonable one (well good enough to chalk up) after the second section. These are by no means no hands rests though (unless your names mcclure).

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#12 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 02:48:26 pm
I tracked Rob down and discussed the grade issue and he said that he thought it was slightly harder than Left Wall Traverse (now rated 7b or F7c+ish), but that the height and position of the moves did add a degree of extra spice.

I still think this is a conservative assessment - Ding Dong failed to do this twice on Saturday. That boy doesn't even notice this sort of grade, especially not on his home territory.

Some things have actually come down in grade since their first ascents. This is normal, especially on a venue like Breck Road where the rock was quite dirty in its untouched state, but I don't want to go into the next guidebook with a load of sandbags (like happened last time). This obsession with grade crushing has to stop somewhere.

Doylo has produced a 7 + 8 list for the limestone, which I'll put on line as soon as I've made it look pretty and added in the FA dates. Hopefully that will add a little comparative context for any new lines.

Doylo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 02:51:29 pm
its miles, miles harder than left wall, i'm pulling my hair out

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 02:52:46 pm
When it comes to grading, Pete should be ignored

Doylo

• forum hero
#15 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 03:09:27 pm
I tracked Rob down and discussed the grade issue and he said that he thought it was slightly harder than Left Wall Traverse (now rated 7b or F7c+ish), but that the height and position of the moves did add a degree of extra spice.

I still think this is a conservative assessment - Ding Dong failed to do this twice on Saturday. That boy doesn't even notice this sort of grade, especially not on his home territory.

Some things have actually come down in grade since their first ascents. This is normal, especially on a venue like Breck Road where the rock was quite dirty in its untouched state, but I don't want to go into the next guidebook with a load of sandbags (like happened last time). This obsession with grade crushing has to stop somewhere.

Bear in mind that Ding Dong did Halfway house V12/8a+ that day for the first time since he broke his wrist so its not like he's climbing rubbish.
Simon i saw you piss Left wall the other day (i know you've been doing it for years etc..). Do you think you could even climb this thing in two halves cos i know i can't!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#16 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 03:20:28 pm
I'm convinced BRL is at least 7c. Sure, it is broken by two rests, but the second (and more important) one is more of a chalking up point; you're not going to be getting much back hanging off those holds. The comparisons to LWT don't make sense to me, but then again I have that so wired I'm probably not the best to ask.

In the end a consensus grade is built on many, many opinions. Pete, Sorle and Rob are fully entitled to think what they think, but my guess is that as others do/try the link the grade will get nudged back up to a sensible level.

Doylo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 03:23:41 pm
but my guess is that as others do/try the link the grade will get nudged back up to a sensible level.

yeah hopefully before the next guide comes out and we're all made a laughing stock  :lol:

Paz

• junky
#18 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 03:38:21 pm
Just doing the math and not having been (or at least not having done anything other than the really easy traverse on the left wall of some cave, if I even did that) I agree with Bonjoy and Stu, it's circa 8a+, plus or minus one (plus).  However if it's a 30 move link up, that's still an average of 10 moves each for the V6, 7 and 8 sections, so these in themselves are still pretty long problems - I've done routes with few than 10 hand moves (including most of my own), maybe the whole thing is only 8a or even 7c+, which would tie in with the LWT comparison.  I'd say (as I always do) just give the lot sport grades, or font traverse grades, you're pumped aren't you?

Doylo

• forum hero
#19 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 04:52:14 pm
just had a thought, doesn't plumbline traverse get 7b+ or so. Say no more.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#20 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 07:02:37 pm
Doesn't the Lakesbloc guide for Woodwell give Tom's Traverse Reverse (font7a/V6) an equivalent sport grade of F7b+?  This has always seemed a fairly reasonable callibration to me (though perhaps slightly generous) - I can generally onsight sport F7aish so being able to do a short and close to the ground F7b+ on rock that suits me seems feasible.  The only other sport/boulder comparison I have seen is for the mid-level traverse on Ilkey's Calf which used to be described as a V8/9 (ft7b+) and approx. equivalent to sport F8a. 

So, from those two disparate and highly dubious "facts" I would estimate a sport grade of F7c/+ to be roughly equivalent to a long, "sport-like" V8?  Presumably either the graders of that Welsh link-up find bouldering much harder than routes (do they use ultradense quickdraws when redpointing...perhaps fashioned from osmium?) OR the link somehow manages to miss out the hardest moves of its component problems (is pulling-on the crux)?!

Kingy

• forum hero
#21 Re: Grading long problems
March 10, 2008, 11:23:30 pm
Left Wall Traverse (now rated 7b or F7c+ish

What does Left Wall High get in route grades? 8a+? Its certainly more like a route than a bloc.

I guess Staminaband is an obvious comparitor in this debate - supposedly 8b+ route grade but as its a traverse and no upward movement is required, its difficult to assess. The individual boulder probs would be around V8 + V7 into start of Powerband and a reasonable shake and then a V9 (Powerband) to finish....or if you prefer, two V9's with a shake inbetween.

Doylo

• forum hero
#22 Re: Grading long problems
March 11, 2008, 11:27:19 am
Left Wall Traverse (now rated 7b or F7c+ish

What does Left Wall High get in route grades? 8a+? Its certainly more like a route than a bloc.

I guess Staminaband is an obvious comparitor in this debate - supposedly 8b+ route grade but as its a traverse and no upward movement is required, its difficult to assess. The individual boulder probs would be around V8 + V7 into start of Powerband and a reasonable shake and then a V9 (Powerband) to finish....or if you prefer, two V9's with a shake inbetween.

Left wall high is a soft V9, about 8a/+  routes grade. Still easier than this latest linkup in my opinion. I've always viewed staminaband as v8+ to get to powerband and then a V9 (Powerband).

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#23 Re: Grading long problems
March 11, 2008, 11:54:34 am
Sorles link is at least V8+ and harder again if you are short, I found a mathematical equation for link ups that goes like this V7+V8=15 add 4 then divide by 2 which gives a V9/10 grade, Iv`e tried this equation with loads of other link ups and It`s pretty accurate to within half a grade. So there you go maths say`s V9/10 and maths don`t lie ;)

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#24 Re: Grading long problems
March 11, 2008, 02:24:22 pm
Some examples for you.
Lou Ferrino into Halfway House = best part of V10 into 12 so 10+12+4=26 divided by 2 = V13 Directors Cut.
Leftwall into start of Rockatrocity is V11+RAV9+4=24/2=V12   Pilgrim.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal