UKBouldering.com

Boulder Problem routes (Read 20269 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 01:02:38 pm
Time for another list. Routes that are generally considered to be boulder problems with a few bolts.

Sport

9a+ - Violent New Breed, Giggleswick - V15
9a - The Fly, Rumney - V13
8c+ - Hubble, Raven Tor - V13

8a+ - Pump up the Power - V9

7c+ - Hurricane on a Millpond, Cuttings - V10
7c - Hall of Mirrors, Cuttings - V7

Trad

E4 6c - Life in a Radioactive Dustbin - V7

What other classics are there? Maybe some in lower grades?

sonja

#1 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 01:24:52 pm
caviar 8a+
pump up the power 8a+
hotfun closing 8a
culloden 8a+

sonja

#2 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 01:28:29 pm
not sure v grades :lol:

Paz

• junky
#3 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 01:46:50 pm
Does it matter if there's a 6a start to a ledge?
Hurricane on a Millpond F7c+, V10.

r-man

• forum hero
#4 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 02:45:30 pm
caviar 8a+
pump up the power 8a+
hotfun closing 8a
culloden 8a+

Need the bouldering grades really. That's what I'm curious about.

r-man

• forum hero
#5 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 02:47:37 pm
Quote from: "Paz"
Does it matter if there's a 6a start to a ledge?
Hurricane on a Millpond F7c+, V10.

Nah, if there's an easy section that makes no difference to the grade of the climb, it's still a boulder problem on a rope.

Incidentally, what V grade do you reckon Hall of Mirrors would get? I suppose that could go on the list too.

chris

• menacing presence
#6 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 02:50:04 pm
whats the point to the list....id like to see you do caviar without the bolts, long way to fall considering there is an old trad e7 on that wall.

most of the older sport routes that 'could be' bouldered out have bolts in them because, A: they didnt have pads 'back in the day' and B; if you want to 'dog' the moves on the upper section of hubble fuck bouldering out the start each time:wink:

r-man

• forum hero
#7 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 02:56:41 pm
The point is that they are routes that need bouldering rather than stamina ability. I'm just interested to see roughly how hard you have to boulder to climb various routes of that style (and yes I know clipping makes it all harder).

Obviously the reason they are routes is because generally they wouldn't be that easy to do without a rope (though hasn't the fly been done sans string?).

dave

#8 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 03:29:14 pm
Quote from: "chris"
whats the point to the list....id like to see you do caviar without the bolts, long way to fall considering there is an old trad e7 on that wall.

apparently quentin fisher used to the soloing caviar without mats.

this is the sea  is pretty bouldery. as is salar.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 03:32:38 pm
Quote from: "r-man"
(though hasn't the fly been done sans string?).

Yup, by Jason Kehl http://climbing.com/current/boulder03/

Paz

• junky
#10 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 04:41:56 pm
Quote from: "r-man"

Incidentally, what V grade do you reckon Hall of Mirrors would get?

Not that I've got my beta sequence map in front of me or anything  :wink:  but there's a hard clip (some people skip it, I'm planning on reversing from there but every time I do that I can't start the rockover) and about 12 none trivial hand moves, with more to follow after that and another clip in the middle.  The climbing's definitely of a bouldery style, if highball then, but I'm sure it's not Font 7a (cos they're desperate aren't they and if I could've started it off the ground I'd have done it already, it'd be way eaiser then, even though the start's only 6a!), I reckon V5 though it might get V6 on portland but you know what they can be like.  I like it cos you've got three points of contact on some of the hard moves with funky chicken palms and heels on the aretes, which is unusual for a sport route, but I'd rather have some proper holds to pull on or do some stupid jumps off of.

r-man

• forum hero
#11 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 05:00:49 pm
V5 my bum! Like you said the bottom bit is only 6a or something, and the meat of the climbing is definitely a boulder problem. It wouldn't be 7c if it was only V5, surely? I was going to suggest V7/8, but even if that's too hard, it must be at least V6.

I've only done it on a top rope - I was planning to skip the clip on the lead, scary but easy climbing once you've got the flowstone. Let me see, what was my sequence - I started by leaping from the good jugs into a rockover, slapped right hand higher, got stood up, heelhooked and crossed over to the crimp on the bulge. Then stood up in corner, left hand higher up to the edge of the bulge, left foot up high and smearing, pulled up and into the groove. Balance and lean over to grab the flowstone on the left. Breathe.

That's only about 8 hand movements from the starting jugs, depending on what you do with your hands getting into the groove. Perhaps there's an easier sequence though?

about 12 none trivial hand moves, with more to follow after that and another clip in the middle.

It does sound like a lot more hand movements than I used. Doing it my way felt harder than most V6s I've done. V7s too. I'm certainly interested to know what your sequence was though...

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 05:45:17 pm
Now I've never been anywhere near this route, but can Hurricane on a Millpond really be V10 if its 7c+??

It's either not V10, or it's not 7c+. V10 is about 8a+/8b if not harder, with bolts in.

I'm guessing it's not V10...

PUTP is about font 7c/V9. I know I gave it V10 in the guide, but I've changed my mind.

Paz

• junky
#13 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 06:14:08 pm
r-man, I'm  psyched if you think it's V7/8.  I was pissing the start of Subyouth using a knee bar (need to finish it really, `only' a jump to a jug from there) but I didn't think I was bouldering at anywhere near that level.  
I don't think anyone on here is going to get annoyed about the beta, but anyway.  

clip the higher staple from the scratchy incut (cut your finger nails) on the right, go back down.

1) LH (crossover, off the break or the big sidepull to the) jug
2) RH incut on right,
3) LH 3 finger flowstone dish, thought you had to twist your R leg in at the back of the roof for this or put your RH to the jug (you can get that straight away, skipping a move) but the next bit's all about pulling anyway:
4) RH undercut pinch, foot on jug (left most bit) on lip of roof, some how rockover matching the pinch/undercut to get the last bit of umph - LF on a little edge out left above the bulge
5) LH arete/sidepull (nothing)  swing right
6) RH R arete of sentry box LF smear just above the jug left of the dish RF on incut (some people do use a heel hook but you can weight your foot his way).  Squeeze.  
LH on a ripple (nothing) at base of ramp?
7) RH Cross over to crimp.  LF back out left on little hold you already used.  clip under rihgt arm.  RF smear you've already used LF high on to various things at the base of the ramp
8) LH pinch arete just above the crimp, rock over L, R heel /toe/ twist back right under arete (of sentry box) to take a
9) RH keyhole pocket (thumb up to lay off it)  RF either to an edge, a black smear or a dimple that works very well (annoyingly right by the rope)
10) High step LF on to the crimp, good to get weight over and round the arete, start slapping left hand up the left arete, there's a good flowstone pocket up high, but you don't need it, stand up
11) Pretend to put your right foot on.  RH to a big ledgey rail hoping your RF doesn't barn door off (it hasn't barndoored on me yet) . A very annoying 5a move that sod's law says I'm going to fluff.  
12) Match. Bridge out left to a good foot hold.  Shake out.  Breath, as you say, etc.

For my benefit the finishing 5b moves are, RH to a crimp RF smear, LF good flowstone edge, LH? good high crimp, RF on to edge and rock up and resist the temptation to dive into the big muddy break.  Stand up on a bomber heel on the ledge using a finger lock in flowstone flutings to clip the lower off.  

I've heard of a knee bar in the sentry box which I couldn't get in for the life of me, and of various methods that go up the groove, including a tantalising no hands rest.  The guy I got most of the above sequence off was trying to go up the groove by doing a bigger rockover off the crimp, but always ended up falling off slapping for a ledge (the thing you bridge to in 12), never looked like he was going to do it that way so I never bothered looking there (it's not like there's any holds).

Paz

• junky
#14 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 06:29:05 pm
Quote from: "Ru"
Now I've never been anywhere near this route, but can Hurricane on a Millpond really be V10 if its 7c+??

It's either not V10, or it's not 7c+. V10 is about 8a+/8b if not harder, with bolts in.

I'm guessing it's not V10...

PUTP is about font 7c/V9. I know I gave it V10 in the guide, but I've changed my mind.

So you think boulder grades are useful for routes, someone was mentioning something about that on rocktalk...

It's one of these odd Oxley routes.  That's why I'm suspecting there's a different set of grades for us big heavy folk!  Pete gave it 8a, until it got done in a day.  

It's a bit of an overlap/vertical face -"The most technical face moves in Dorset" and less steep things can get undergraded as sport routes.  I'm pretty sure 7c+ was the crag knowledge unless I've misheard someone or people are being slack and
bandying about adding pluses on.  You'd believe V9/7c wouldn't you?  I would.  But as I say, they probably just mean Portland V10  :wink:

r-man

• forum hero
#15 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 06:46:05 pm
Hmm, it's been a while since I was on it, so I don't remember all the details well enough. Basically the rockover was my first move - I leapt into it from both hands on the jug. The crux for me was once I pinched the arete, pulling up to get stood up on smears. I'd forgotten about the right hand hold just above, but I think I did use that. So were you actually on the sentry box itself then? Think my feet were in the groove all the way.

Paz

• junky
#16 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 08:21:56 pm
Sorry, I've officially declared it to be a project and consider myself an expert.  

I don't know what you mean by jumping into the rock over off the jug - I'm rocking over onto the jug.  The method I'm using sort of goes up the rib/buttress in between, using the arete of the sentry box and the arete of the groove, and about one foot hold in the groove and one foothold in the sentrybox.  

The other thing I've not been able to work out is what the hell Mike Robertson's doing with that left egyptian in the photo in the old (well, the middle) Dorset Rockfax.

Ru, there's (or there was as holds have come off) actually another one at the even shorter even more bouldery New (`Nu') Cuttings.  The Fibonacci Sequence 7c+/ V10.  It's Jimbo's route (he's also done Hurricane ITMP) so he's probably the guy to query.  Ask him why you can't see a harness in the FA photo on rockfax (probably just the FA of the problem).  I kind of agree with you, as some of the 7b+s there have V7/8 starts - as far as I'm concerned there are easier ones in the world.  Thankfully it seems to be limited to only a few routes, even within Portland, though on the flipside there's a cool looking long V10 traverse of a break that was thought to be more like F8a.

r-man

• forum hero
#17 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 09:04:46 pm
I don't know what you mean by jumping into the rock over off the jug - I'm rocking over onto the jug

Literally that. I found it a stretch to reach that high left hand hold, which was what my friend was doing - though it seems you found a good way with more intermediates.

I had my right hand round to the right of the jug and my left hand on the left of it, and from there I jumped into a rocked over position (with right foot on the jug), then slapped right hand upwards. Odd move, but it works for me.

All this talk makes me want to go to portland! It's been over a year since I tried HOM, and that was in the last couple of hours of the last day of my weekend - I've been meaing to go back and lead it ever since...

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Boulder Problem routes
November 25, 2005, 09:12:23 pm
we should do that shizz next summer dude

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#19 Boulder Problem routes
November 26, 2005, 06:43:25 am
Life in a radioactive dustbin at burbage nth has is definitely stretching the description of a route. More like 7a+ above a bad landing

r-man

• forum hero
#20 Boulder Problem routes
November 26, 2005, 09:17:57 am
Quote from: "Control freak"
Life in a radioactive dustbin at burbage nth has is definitely stretching the description of a route. More like 7a+ above a bad landing

Good idea, lets have a trad list...  :)

Mr K

#21 Boulder Problem routes
December 02, 2005, 10:49:24 pm
Hurricane is no where near V10, more like V7 or 8. I think the words "most technical moves in Dorset" should be followed by "over 40 feet above the ground". Try out problems like Solar Stone or Jimbo's Wall (sorry about the name) far more technical in my opinion.

Fibonacci was never climbed with a rope - the top is piss and the problem revolves around the bottom section. The French route grade is irrelevant and should be ignored. How can you give a boulder problem a meaningful route grade?

Keep trying on Subyouth - don't forget the top part to the belay is tricky too!

JIMBO

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#22 Boulder Problem routes
December 03, 2005, 03:52:22 pm
Stanage Without Oxygen, highball V6/7 or E5 6c tested the fall repeatedly but you'll need cold conditions.  Word of advice, the top mantle when there's snow on it is f--king desparate and quite scary.

Then there's half the crag at Earl / Slipstones.  Sinbad I think is a scary highball V4 or E3 6b

uptown

• junky
#23 Boulder Problem routes
December 03, 2005, 03:56:51 pm
How can you give a boulder problem a meaningful route grade?

It's hard to, but I think we've all tried in the past. (pre onset of bouldering for the masses.)

I originally gave Faze action at Rivelin E4 6c - now regarded as 7b, and The art of white hat wearing at Curbar likewise E4 6c - I guess this would prove a classy 7b too if people took mats to the bottom.
I remember discussing the grade of WHW with Mike Lea at the time - he reckoned any unprotected 6c moves should warrant E4 - We all learnt from the Dawes' grades in those days.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#24 Boulder Problem routes
December 03, 2005, 04:48:18 pm
How can you give a boulder problem a meaningful route grade?

You can't with pure, safe boulder problems (e.g. right hand end of slipstones - previously mis-described with route grades).

But with highball  boulder problems / micro-routes, you can in the same way you give any other route a meaningful route grade: How hard is the crux, how sustained is it, how serious is it, what other factors are there that affect the overall difficulty of the climb??

Really quite easy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal