UKBouldering.com

Good hobbies if you live in Sheffield (Read 21744 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
Jules recommends cross-stitch.

Lots of cash but what about flying in some form?

Isn't there a gliding club just outside Hathersage. Probably one of the cheapest ways into flying I'd imagine.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I'd forgotten all about paragliding

Still on my to do list

webbo

• forum hero
I have given up  climbing twice, first time late twenties having moved to Hull  :o for work got in to cycling. Did time trials, road racing and cyclocross, was reasonably successful at TT at a local level. Career change and working shifts meant it was hard to race as often as I liked. Did triathlons for a couple of years at good local level. Before getting back in to climbing late thirties, got injured early forties. Back to cycling started mountain biking, did ok in x country races although lacking skills due to still living in the Dull area.
Started road racing and was fairly successful before starting climbing again at 46ish because my daughter was keen. Still ride and climb which these days is easier time wise as I’m retired.
As someone said above if you like structured training a road bike is the way to go.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
There's always other types of weight training Barrows, weightlifting, crossfit etc. The opposite potentially of your sport climbing exploits!

Plattsy

• forum hero
Rowing - club at Ewden I think.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
An authentically Sheffield pursuit?  Surely ironmongery is the only choice? I look forward to the Barrows-brand range of bespoke metal-ware, from cutlery to claymore swords.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Ooh yeah!

I rowed for a bit when I was at Durham Uni. Very motivating. The best team experience I've had.

(strength and power combined with skill and team work)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:22:36 pm by lagerstarfish »

submaximal gains

• player
Open water swimming is what I've been doing following a pulley injury. It takes you to some nice places around the peak district.

SamT

• forum hero
Caving innit. 

Loads to go at. Super adventurous.  Largely non conditions dependent.  Evenings, nights, daytime.  Just need a good team to get involved with. 

ali k

• junky
Thanks everyone. Imagining Barrows doing a lot of these suggestions is bringing a smile to my face. I can just picture him introducing his brutal training regime to the local caving club. Doing ‘tight squeeze’ repeaters through smaller and smaller pipes in his cellar.

Not to mention what he’d bring to the table at the Embroiderer’s Guild.

Ged

• junky
ANother vote for not dismissing running.  There's loads you can do to injury proof yourself in terms of strength work, as well as not doing much on roads.  Plus a massive variety of stuff to aim for, from fast flat 5k's to Bob Graham type challenges.  If you're worried about injury, get a bike and do some of that on the side as cross training.

I spend most my time being completely torn between climbing and running.  I sometimes wish I would get a proper injury that would rule one of them out for a while so I can actually focus on one.  I'm sure I'd eat my words if it actually happened.

Mullett24k

Tinder

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I've pretty much stopped climbing over this winter as well, been largely mixing running and cycling. maybe comprising on the MTB road issue and get a gravel bike? Road biking is more fun than it looks, incidentally

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
MTB and road bike seem very obvious choices. I’ve dabbled very lightly with MTB for a few years after my son got into it and really enjoy it. Road biking was something I thought would be shit, but is actually great fun. I’m about a year in.

They do actually complement each other quite well, my MTB days became a lot more enjoyable when I had a bit of hill fitness from road biking, and doing steep fast descents on a roadbike seem quite east after doing gnarly roots stuff on a MTB. I got a cyclocross bike on the RTW scheme when my thumb was so fucked I couldn't even change gears on a MTB let alone climb. I even actually used it to go to work occasionally.

White water kayaking? Logistically a chore, and very conditions dependant, but what I've done has been great fun. 

abarro81

• forum hero
Thanks for the input all

Trad - yes, clearly will do some trad pottering. Bear in mind that trying hard on anything vert and edgy is likely to injure my finger as much as climbing 8c in a roof, so can't do much hard apart from the odd specific grit headpoint. Not like I can just go Pembroke and try hard or I'd obviously do that. Off width is a viable option though!

Road bike - looks so unfun when driving past!

MTB seems more and more like a good one to try properly.

Skydiving, paragliding etc sound fun too so will definitely see if I can try them a bit.

Hill running would be obvious as well but like I said I don't back my legs. Ran a bunch as a teenager but injured my ankles, knees, shins and stress fractured my tibia. In climbing I'm bombproof by comparison! Even a 30min jog makes my shins sore.

Caving could be interesting.

Weights not so sure due to back issues (caused by deadlift)

Kayaking sounds great but is there much in the peak?

andy popp

• forum hero
Wait a bloody minute. Why has no-one suggested golf yet?!

Clay pigeon shooting?

ali k

• junky
Trouble with some of these suggestions (kayaking, flying of any kind) is they're so conditions dependent they'd realistically have to be combined with something else to fill your time. At least with MTB or road bike there's rarely a day summer or winter that you couldn't do it. And even then you could do some turbo training indoors to get your fix.

I often wish I could be a bit 'jack of all trades' and have several things on the go depending on conditions instead of all or nothing in one sport, but I just don't seem able to. Sounds like you're similar.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I often wish I could be a bit 'jack of all trades' and have several things on the go depending on conditions instead of all or nothing in one sport, but I just don't seem able to. Sounds like you're similar.

You don't. It's very expensive, makes for a lot of room taken up with kit, and is frustrating as hell when you do something for the first time in ages that you love and realise how much you have regressed. And it means you need a large van for holidays. Never get frustrated for something to do though.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Kayaking sounds great but is there much in the peak?

https://www.nwscnotts.com/nwsc/water-sports/ Notts. Might be closer.

andy popp

• forum hero
I am so unsporty. I kayaked and skateboarded before I found climbing at 14 but have had zero interest in trying any other sport since then and still feel the same way. But I've always loved to walk and if I lived in Sheffield and couldn't climb that's what I'd be doing.

I thought about suggesting yoga - but I don't know Alex and have no idea if that would be a non-starter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
In spite of the things I do, I don't see myself as "sporty". I always think that term refers to the more traditional "school" sports which I avoided like the plague when at school. I still struggle to class climbing as a sport, more an activity.

Stabbsy

• junky
Hill running would be obvious as well but like I said I don't back my legs. Ran a bunch as a teenager but injured my ankles, knees, shins and stress fractured my tibia. In climbing I'm bombproof by comparison! Even a 30min jog makes my shins sore.

Obviously you need to do something that interests or inspires you in the same or similar way as climbing does and if that isn’t running then fair enough. However, I wouldn’t write it off on the basis of the above as you need to build up slowly. You’ll have the aerobic fitness to run for 30 mins easily, but not the relevant conditioning. For most (general population), the aerobic system will be the limiting factor, whereas I’m guessing it won’t be for you. My nephew had a similar issue coming to running from biking at a reasonably high level - he could run up hills without any issue, but ended up with a stress fracture because he jumped in with both feet and didn’t give his conditioning chance to catch up with aerobic system. For most I’d say this can be avoided/fixed but obviously you’ve got to want it enough to go through the period where it doesn’t feel like exercise.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.

Obviously you need to do something that interests or inspires you in the same or similar way as climbing does and if that isn’t running then fair enough. However, I wouldn’t write it off on the basis of the above as you need to build up slowly. You’ll have the aerobic fitness to run for 30 mins easily, but not the relevant conditioning. For most (general population), the aerobic system will be the limiting factor, whereas I’m guessing it won’t be for you. My nephew had a similar issue coming to running from biking at a reasonably high level - he could run up hills without any issue, but ended up with a stress fracture because he jumped in with both feet and didn’t give his conditioning chance to catch up with aerobic system. For most I’d say this can be avoided/fixed but obviously you’ve got to want it enough to go through the period where it doesn’t feel like exercise.

Running on the sort of terrain local to you is a hell of a lot less likely to result in shin splints/soreness than pounding the pavements. Trot through some semi boggy country for 20 mins a few times a week and build it up from there. Some targetted glute medius exercises, squats and single leg calf raises will see you right.

You'll also find it should strengthen your lower back given proper form. That's coming from me with Spondy.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Ooh yeah!

I rowed for a bit when I was at Durham Uni. Very motivating. The best team experience I've had.

(strength and power combined with skill and team work)

I rowed in my first term at uni. Breakfast at 6, on the river at 7.  It was rubbish.

andy popp

• forum hero
I rowed a little in sixth form. The school didn't know what to do with me when most people were playing team sports (or taking rowing seriously), so they let me take a single scull out by myself once a week. Gently sculling my way up the Wye a bit and then back down was an incredibly pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal