UKBouldering.com

Good hobbies if you live in Sheffield (Read 21386 times)

yetix

• forum abuser
Could take up doing all the mantle based problems around as something to pass the time whilst climbing but in a v unconventional style which might not aggrovate fingers? Not sure? But a suggestion maybe worth considering idk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
To help us narrow this down, I think it's safe to say that the following are likely to fall into the "not for me" camp:
RC cars
Toy soldiers
Racing pigeons
Fishing
Brewing beer
Allotment life

Bikes of some kind seems like the obvious. Road biking looks like no fun to me, but I did used to like MTB when I was in my early teens so that's probably worth a look.

music production (not specific to sheffield but you just need a laptop to start).
Interesting one, I could imagine that being fun

Is this due to injury?
Yeah, injury. Motivation definitely not the issue for me, at least for sport climbing (but maybe is for bouldering). I think I need to take 12-18 months of putting my energy into something other than climbing. Then if I found something else I like just as much it's all good, and if not then maybe my finger will have enjoyed a year of pottering. Smashing my head against the brick wall of injury isn't fun anymore, is breaking me mentally, and no matter how much I want it I can't currently have "it" back any time soon.

Last time I gave up I went full throttle for MTB.

What do/did you like most about climbing? My impression is partly it was the training/pain/suffering/ pushing yourself to the limit for you?
I like having something to go all-in on. Trying my hardest in all aspects, not just at the time, if that makes sense? Not very good at dabbling in lots of stuff.

Too many things to list what I liked, I guess it had/has it all for me. I think I need something that's outdoor-focused and something that involves pushing myself physically. One thing climbing had that I liked was that it also had a fear/excitement aspect, but without speed (never been v good at the speed aspects for mtb, skiing etc). Problem solving aspect too, esp for redpointing. And social scene... And movement... And...  :'(

Have you ever looked into serious/mixed gas/deep Scuba diving?
If you go beyond the standard PADI type recreational stuff, it’s incredibly demanding physically and mentally. You sit in a very good position for taking that into overhead/cave environments there and I see there are clubs and schools in Sheff.
The travel opportunities for that sort of activity rival climbing and surfing for locations, globally and the equipment is even more expensive than climbing.
Like climbing, it also has the family recreation aspect.
Honestly, hitting 130msw and resting my hand on the hull of the U533 (the second human touch since it sank), thirty miles off the coast of Iran, whilst the support vessels were being harassed by Iranian gun boats and US Navy aircraft simultaneously, is definitely a life highlight of mine.
Much safer and better equipped and organised now than it was 20 years ago, too.

Oh, and the maths/physiology knowledge required is pretty extensive, especially for mixing gases to give optimum partial pressures and deco windows.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I was down to do a Sheffield Scuba Club introductory session at Ponds Forge in March last year

For obvious reasons it didn't happen but I am keen to try it ASAP.

T_B

• forum hero
You could start by getting some ultra cushioned shoes that look like Neil Armstrong's boots, and drop a few quid on some running school analysis to teach you proper technique so you aren't pounding the shit out of the ground all the time.
Not this. Or at least, not necessarily this. I'm not into the barefoot running thing (I'm sure it works for some people), but equally the super-cushioned shoes don't necessarily provide injury protection or might lead to different injuries. Just go to a decent running shop (Front Runner/MyRaceKit on Sharrow Vale, Up and Running in the centre) once they're open and ask their advice. Chat through the issues you've had, give them an idea of the sort of things you want to do and try some stuff on a treadmill. They should be able to look at your running to determine what might or might not work.

True, not intended a panacea, usual caveats apply. I'm guessing thigh overetension due to too many kneebars!

Unfortunately I do think it takes time to work all this out for yourself and unless you’re really lucky you’re probably going to get injured running! If you’ve got a history of running injuries, you’d be better off on a bike IMO. I run on everything from the roads to really rough fell terrain and I think you can get different types of injuries. Obviously it’s not just about the impact forces. Most people who dabble seem to have issues. And I know plenty of people who are good on a bike who just can’t seem to run and therefore don’t like it.

Another one to try might be Diving? Good scene at Ponds Forge I believe. My kids have lessons there.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
Another vote for road biking from here...

Sheffield and Yorkshire in general is world class, I agree it does seem boring at first but once you're into it it's great! 60mph down hill wearing nothing but lycra certianly pumps up the excitement factor... The added bonus is that you'll also stay lean so once you're back climbing you'll not have to diet or owt like that.

Have you ever skateboarded? Sheffield has a great scence, The House skatepark is ace! Dev Green, Millhouses and a fair few street spots that are mint too! Downside is you'll probably get more injured (4 trips to A&E for me in the last 18 months!!)...

MTB is alright too I guess ;-)

Doylo

• forum hero
 Just have a kid Barrows. Your life’s practically over then anyway.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Failing that, why not learn a language? In about 800 to 1000 hours you can get to a high level of fluency in any of the languages closely related to english (German, French or Spanish). In about 3000 hours you can get to a high level even if you go for the ultimate bosses of Arabic, Chinese or Japanese. Thousand hours works out to two hours a day for one and a half year, or two years if you take two days off per week. By that time your finger will be ok and you will be able to argue with idiots on the internet in two languages!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Ever so slightly off topic, Adorno has some interesting things to say about hobbies and free-time.

http://xenopraxis.net/readings/adorno_freetime.pdf

I like this bit.  “ Time and time again, when questioned or interviewed, one is asked about one’s hobbies. When the illustrated weeklies report on the life of one of those giants of the culture indus- try, they rarely forego the opportunity to report, with varying degrees of intimacy, on the hobbies of the person in question. I am shocked by the question when I come up against it. I have no hobby. Not that I am the kind of workaholic, who is incapable of doing anything with his time but applying himself industriously to the required task. But, as far as my activities beyond the bounds of my recognised profession are concerned, I take them all, without exception, very seriously. So much so, that I should be horrified by the very idea that they had anything to do with hobbies – preoccupations with which I had become mind- lessly infatuated merely in order to kill the time – had I not become hardened by experience to such examples of this now widespread, barbarous mentality. Making music, listening to music, reading with all my attention, these activities are part and parcel of my life; to call them hobbies would make a mockery of them.”

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Great thread!

Tinder

When in a similar position in my mid twenties, and having had a chaste and sober youth, I went down the tried and tested route of sex and drugs and rock and roll (and raving). Is it too late to consider these?

Also did depression, voluntary work, and going back to study. Never seriously considered another sport. What, after all, could replace climbing?

abarro81

• forum hero
Thanks again all. Plenty to ponder and experiment with

Not sure my wife would be up for tinder being my new hobby  :lol:

Scuba - only done a PADI course about 15yrs ago, was fun though I much preferred freediving when I tried that. If I lived elsewhere I imagine freediving would be my go-to.. not convinced from Sheffield though.

Language could be a good shout (and not conditions dependent).

Robbo

• regular
  • Once a Royal Marine, always a Royal Marine
Shaolin gung fu

tomtom

• forum hero
Surprised no one has mentioned gardening...

Plenty of demand for good old fashioned weed rather than super skunk.

Lots of different aspects to think about there :)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Surprised no one has mentioned gardening...

Plenty of demand for good old fashioned weed rather than super skunk.

Lots of different aspects to think about there :)

I'm all for that - people growing weed keeps me in a job (I'm a fire investigator).  My first thought on seeing a burned and collapsed roof at a tenanted property is variably "I bet it's a cannabis farm"... mind you, the risk of electrocution from crappy meter bypasses is something I can live without.

mark s

• junky
Weight lifting
I'm sure Sheffield has a load of gyms.
Don't expect to climb hard after going the gym for a year or 2 though

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Fossil hunting? I'm not entirely sure this would be your bag but seeing as literally everything else has been suggested... And seeing as you like limestone.
Think looking for broken needles in solidified haystacks.
As per JB's pond microscopy the victorians mostly got there first and what passes for guidebooks are only a hundred years out of date if you're lucky. You can mostly fill in the gaps though if you have access to scientific journals and a lot of spare time. There is definitely still scope for finding new species though. The crux is identifying the old ones. My thing is Peak trilobites (https://www.instagram.com/carboniferous_fossils/) of which I've found at least five new species, possibly two new genera. Which is nice if you like finding and naming things.
Kit is mostly just a sturdy hammer and a jeweler's eyepiece.
All that said, I think I'll eat my kneepads the day I see you crouched behind a drystone wall smashing rocks open looking for novel pygidia.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:23:58 pm by Bonjoy »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Shaolin gung fu

What? Not BJJ?

I thought that was all you Green lids did?

😉

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
Video games certainly won't fit the physical bill, but you can take your pick from a massive selection of experiences from epic storytelling to frustratingly addictive arcade stuff.

Depends on the game, over lockdown last year i bought a decent sim racing rig (Paul B will attest to this). a couple hours racing or rallying give a decent workout with the force feedback of the wheel and feel of the pedals.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Which is nice if you like finding and naming things.

If the names Myfriendthetrilobite, Bonjoyophites or Crusty McCrustaceanface weren't used I'm disappointed.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I think Yossarian mentioned modular synthesis earlier in this thread - a fine and noble way to make bleeps for thousands of pounds. It's a dangerous rabbit hole to crawl down albeit an immensely pleasurable one.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yeah! I've found that, of all the possible esoteric subjects to distract yourself when you have an extremely overdue book to finish, modular synthesis is right up there. (Others include small yacht restoration / singlehanded sailing, custom motorcycles, and intercontinental bike tour planning.)

First you watch this - http://idreamofwires.org
There are then a few iPad based apps you can start playing around with.
This is typically followed by watching about 1000hrs of YouTube videos discussing the merits of tidal modulators.
Then, in my case, you go to see a bloke in Hackney Wick who lets you fiddle with his knobs and then you convince yourself you're going to be the next Aphex Twin...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Underground of this parish has a seriously impressive modular collection.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
If you want to see one of the world's best collections, check out my mate Jon Paul's rigs. He's very talented indeed. Drink The Corpse Vomit on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCimEvR7tH0YNf0_X4P3houg

This is particularly serene:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Drink The Corpse Vomit is up there with Nigel Tufnell's Lick my Love Pump.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I had a lot of fun using the Korg emulator on Nintendo DS (Korg DS-10) connected to a guitar amp. Something about the touch screen interface that just worked.

I see that there is a similar app now available for iPhone

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
I had a lot of fun using the Korg emulator on Nintendo DS (Korg DS-10) connected to a guitar amp. Something about the touch screen interface that just worked.

I see that there is a similar app now available for iPhone

Auxy or AuxyPro (subscription req. for Pro) on iPad/Phone isn’t bad for messing around or a quick vid soundtrack.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal