UKBouldering.com

Good hobbies if you live in Sheffield (Read 21595 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Good hobbies if you live in Sheffield
April 05, 2021, 05:13:43 pm
Anyone got any good inspiration?

- Preferably something that won't just make me want to live somewhere else even more (i.e. not skiing, snowboarding, surfing!).
- Not running (historic injuries).
- Not anything that's bad if you have a bad back.
I realise I'm leaving limited things to work with here...

kac

• addict
I know its the obvious one but mountain biking is great fun and has been my go to to hobby when ive had finger injuries. I found getting a full suspension bike massively more fun and kinder on my back.

mark20

• junky
Racing pigeons

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Mountain bikes, enduro motorbikes, music production (not specific to sheffield but you just need a laptop to start).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Patioing

Cleaning off esoterica

Luck based scrittle

RC cars

Toy soldiers

Trying to make the slightest sense of DCC's peak parking plans

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Snooker

Fishing

Brewing beer

Allotment life

ali k

• junky
Is this due to injury? I’ve had chronically low levels of motivation for climbing the last year, not for the first time in my life, so been musing similar things. Last time I gave up I went full throttle for MTB.

What do/did you like most about climbing? My impression is partly it was the training/pain/suffering/ pushing yourself to the limit for you?

Road biking would be the obvious one to get stuck into. Plenty of suffering to be had on a bike and it takes you nice places similar to climbing. And easier on the legs than running.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Less obvious stuff

Volunteering - scouting, charities, Samaritans, BMC

Dancing

Local politics

abarro81

• forum hero
To help us narrow this down, I think it's safe to say that the following are likely to fall into the "not for me" camp:
RC cars
Toy soldiers
Racing pigeons
Fishing
Brewing beer
Allotment life

Bikes of some kind seems like the obvious. Road biking looks like no fun to me, but I did used to like MTB when I was in my early teens so that's probably worth a look.

music production (not specific to sheffield but you just need a laptop to start).
Interesting one, I could imagine that being fun

Is this due to injury?
Yeah, injury. Motivation definitely not the issue for me, at least for sport climbing (but maybe is for bouldering). I think I need to take 12-18 months of putting my energy into something other than climbing. Then if I found something else I like just as much it's all good, and if not then maybe my finger will have enjoyed a year of pottering. Smashing my head against the brick wall of injury isn't fun anymore, is breaking me mentally, and no matter how much I want it I can't currently have "it" back any time soon.

Last time I gave up I went full throttle for MTB.

What do/did you like most about climbing? My impression is partly it was the training/pain/suffering/ pushing yourself to the limit for you?
I like having something to go all-in on. Trying my hardest in all aspects, not just at the time, if that makes sense? Not very good at dabbling in lots of stuff.

Too many things to list what I liked, I guess it had/has it all for me. I think I need something that's outdoor-focused and something that involves pushing myself physically. One thing climbing had that I liked was that it also had a fear/excitement aspect, but without speed (never been v good at the speed aspects for mtb, skiing etc). Problem solving aspect too, esp for redpointing. And social scene... And movement... And...  :'(

kelvin

• forum hero
I'd be tempted to have a proper look at the various 'martial' arts - it's a big city and there'll be a huge choice.
One will suit you for sure, all will condition you and enable you to have a real focus. Not all are full contact, some are hardly any contact at all. There are even gradings 😉

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Off-width climbing.

Glad you're not dismissing snooker at least.

ali k

• junky
Parkour? (depends how shit your knees are).

Trials biking? (lots of tinkering with machines in between the actual activity). Skill/problem solving of MTB without the speed aspect. Motorised and non options available.

Both could get you into the outdoors. You could do some parkour along the base of the tor for everyone to enjoy.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
music production (not specific to sheffield but you just need a laptop to start).
Interesting one, I could imagine that being fun

Message me if you'd like to know anything about getting started. I came to it from a background of playing guitar and singing in bands as a teenager, started using software to record demos, discovered synthesisers, ditched the guitars and microphones and now I'm well down the rabbit hole of making weird stuff that barely resembles music anymore, but I really enjoy it! I find it compliments an active hobby like climbing/mountain bikes nicely.

Another suggestion for active hobbies that includes pushing yourself, fear and excitement and problem solving is jiu-jitsu. Obviously not until the gyms open again though.

abarro81

• forum hero
You could do some parkour along the base of the tor for everyone to enjoy.

This would definitely lighten everyone's inter-redpoint mood!  :lol:

User deactivated

• stalker
Another vote for snooker! Better than climbing!

Paul B

• forum hero
Get on a road bike Barrows. You'll be good at it, you'll also love how sorted the training is compared to climbing.

MTBing seems prime for semi serious injury whereas road biking the injury risk seems to be dictated to a certain extent by the conduct of others (in 1000kg+ vehicles).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
If it's injury that's sucking the joy out of it then why not do some trad? You still get to climb, you'll go to a load of crags you probably haven't been to or haven't been to in ages. If you do a bit of headpointing/ground upping you'll find it challenging but not in a tendon mangling sort of way and it doesn't have to be death defying.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Bikes of some kind seems like the obvious. Road biking looks like no fun to me, but I did used to like MTB when I was in my early teens so that's probably worth a look.

I've pretty much stopped climbing in the last two months, partly a niggly shoulder injury I've been working around for a year but mostly not enjoying being out at the moment with the crowds and rule bending.

Started mountain biking a lot again and really quite enjoying it.

Been doing a combination of working the local trails around Blackamoor, Lady Cannings and Totley Moor, getting them wired trying to improve times, pretty much redpointing, become a bit of a Strava twat.

Also going out on rides from up on the moors around Castleton and Hope. Great to be up high on a nice day, grinding out climbs then enjoying nice swoopy flowy descents, and some shaky rocky stuff as well.

Having used a 2002 model bike for, well 19 years, buying a new one was an absolute revelation, they just handle so much better. I've never been that fast, too scaredy-cat downhills, but the new bike just soaks it all up and is giving me the confidence to push it.

Been having an absolute blast.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
If it's injury that's sucking the joy out of it then why not do some trad? You still get to climb, you'll go to a load of crags you probably haven't been to or haven't been to in ages. If you do a bit of headpointing/ground upping you'll find it challenging but not in a tendon mangling sort of way and it doesn't have to be death defying.
I'd agree with that, can also add in long enduro solo linkups at crags you may not have been to. I did a mix of trad anf solo linkups when I was coming back from injury in the past

T_B

• forum hero
Get on a road bike Barrows. You'll be good at it, you'll also love how sorted the training is compared to climbing.

:agree:

It’s the obvious choice, especially at this time of year. You clearly love the forearm burn, just move that feeling to your thighs. Get hooked up on Strava and unleash your competitive spirit without apology.

(P.S. let me know if you want to buy a Cannondale Synapse with 105 groupset  ;))

nik at work

• forum hero
MTB and road bike seem very obvious choices. I’ve dabbled very lightly with MTB for a few years after my son got into it and really enjoy it. Road biking was something I thought would be shit, but is actually great fun. I’m about a year in.

Both have the potential to be horrendously expensive...

I know that you have ruled out running but perhaps worth looking at trail/fell running. Road running is horrible, dull, repetitive, injury causing misery. Trail running is ace adventures, arms waving, running like a kid. Just putting it out there in case you are seeing running as purely road based torture.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Wait a bloody minute. Why has no-one suggested golf yet?!

Bradders

• forum hero
Popping out a kid seems to keep most people busy for a year or two  ;)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Maybe longer term (and travel dependent) but what about mountaineering?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
Jules recommends cross-stitch.

Lots of cash but what about flying in some form?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal