UKBouldering.com

BetaDb - Website for finding videos of problems (Read 18602 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Well done anyway Ed. You should be well proud of what you’ve done and achieved 👍👍

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
that's a shame, it is a great idea and held promise. Well done regardless Ed, fantastic effort  :2thumbsup:

yetix

• forum abuser
Sorry to hear that Ed. Take a break from it and have a look back once you've had some time to decompress. Hope you're alright.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Sorry to hear that Ed, we think this is a real shame. I was looking forward to working with you on this.

We first approached Ed last week after we became aware of the project. Since it was similar to something we have been working on for the UKC logbooks, we were keen to see if we could combine efforts, however we did need to establish permission to use our database. Ed was slow to respond but, when he did, we explained the situation and increased our offer to open up our database. This was inline with what many have requested on this thread: to link the database so that new problems only need to be entered in one location. It would have also maintained consistent names and areas. Unfortunately Ed didn't want to collaborate although we have never had a discussion as to what shape the collaboration would take since we have only received two short emails from Ed despite making ourselves fully available for discussion.

If you have a change of heart and want to get it going again then we would be happy to work with you and the offer we made remains open.

For people's information, The Copyright and Rights in Databases Regulations 1997 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/3032/contents/made assigns copyright to the effort of creating the database, not the data itself, which is mostly uncopyrightable facts like route names. At UKC we have never claimed we own data, just the database it is assembled in. It also assigns responsibility to protecting that database in both upkeep and when and where it is used. In this case we bent over backwards to try and make something that would work but we had to do something since, if we didn't, we would have been neglecting our responsibility to our database which would have left it open to use by significantly more commercial concerns than Ed.

For what it's worth I found that a thoroughly reasonable post, obviously without knowing Ed's side or the details.

Ed, great effort setting it up, hope you stay well and you can always look at it again down the line.

a13c

• regular
That's a real shame Ed, the site was great and it was only getting bigger and better.
Take care of yourself.

macca7

• addict
Well that is a real shame and I can't help but feel really disappointed for Ed and all of the hard work he put in.

The BetaDB site is surely what UKC have been wanting to add to their site since video was added to the photo section for each crag and presumably ultimately to each problem/route.

It does feel a little bit of sour grapes on UKC part that a young man on his own managed to get it up and running before they did and they were worried that the BetaDB site would be receiving a lot of traffic that they feel they should be receiving.

As has been said a lot of those problem names were added by a fair amount of the users of this site.

Ed could you not just have the site that we as users populate with vids and the names of the problems as well. I know more room for error and miss-spelt problems and duplicates etc but if you grouped them by crag it might be a bit easier for people to scan through. Just feels like the big losers are the climbers that would have saved a load of time and effort by having the page and Ed maybe missing out on some advertising revenue.

Good luck Ed take care there is certainly enough to be worrying about at the minute and Paul if UKC aren't going to let anyone else do it, bloody hurry up and get on with it or employ Ed to do it!

Gutted! :wavecry:BetaDB

Macca

Alan James, Rockfax

• player
    • www.ukclimbing.com
... or employ Ed to do it!

That was part of the offer we made to Ed.

Alan

tomtom

• forum hero
Probably too late - but one of my suggestions I didn’t post last week would ha w been a BetaDB search widget or embedable search box. So sites like UKC could have the functionality but within a search box or frame from/for the BetaDB site. Or something like that...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Wouldn’t a collaboration with Peakbouldering.info have been viable?

macca7

• addict
Alan

I thought it might have been, shame it didn't work out but im sure Ed has his reasons.

Over to you  :goodidea:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Just found this which is the same idea but US focused. Has an international section where you can add climbs and crags so no cross-site infringement. Works with ig and youtube/Vimeo:
https://www.betacache.com/

remus

• forum hero
Wouldn’t a collaboration with Peakbouldering.info have been viable?

Would be good for the peak (obviously) but I think you'd run in to problems pretty quickly if you wanted to expand the scope. Trying to merge lists of problem names is hard (misspellings, different names from different guidebooks, differences between crags etc).

Also I don't think Ed is based in the peak, so kinda annoying to run this cool tool that doesn't have any of his local problems in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal