UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291832 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#925 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:24:26 am
Phil Burke who lives in or near Litton has reported on UKC that he has passed non-local boulderers (5x) each time he has walked past Rubicon!

Massively disappointing and at a very public venue so also very bad PR for the rest of us who will be tarred with the same brush.
WCJ dale is notoriously difficult access wise. I can think of few less appropriate places climbers (locals or not)could be seen to climb on at this time. Moronic.
I would question the notion that PB knows of every climber within walking distance thought.

To be fair he said he knew some had come from Sheffield not that all were non-local so I expressed myself poorly there. His update now is even more disturbing

Philb1950 10:45 Tue
In reply to UKB Shark:

Walked past before 9 this morning with the dogs and the couple I saw yesterday are actually bivvied there!

:wall:

abarro81

• forum hero
#926 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:26:00 am
I can confirm that I hate fuckers posting board vids Will, and that it makes you an immoral cunt.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#927 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:36:31 am
I can confirm that I hate fuckers posting board vids Will, and that it makes you an immoral cunt.

Nice one. Hate is so hot right now.

abarro81

• forum hero
#928 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:40:55 am
I'm a trend setter. Hatin on haters since '87.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#929 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:48:14 am
the players gonna play
And the haters gonna hate

Wood FT

• forum hero
#930 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:50:47 am
Haters gonna hate
Potatoes gonna potate

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#931 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 11:53:16 am
For what its worth Will, i dont think posting board videos makes you a cunt, nor do i hate you for it, though I will update you as and when that changes. I think the training psych is still there, so please post away. It will keep me and Ben training if nothing else.

There was a good piece in The Times today about celebrities posting lurid things about their luxurious lockdowns and copping a load of flack as a result. The class issues of the lockdown are very obvious and would make for a good thread.

I genuinely dont mean to come across as mindlessly angry. This is just a good example of someone pushing the rules to their absolute maximum and being dumb about it at the same time by posting online. This has the potential to piss off locals, affect access and encourage other people out. I think its fair enough to call it out, even if discussing shopping preferences might be a bit excessive.

Bradders

• forum hero
#932 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:14:40 pm
I see the police are now using ANPR to track people and call them out for 'unnecessary' journeys...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dozens-fined-for-heading-to-the-beach-during-lockdown-11972845

This starts to make my 'big brother-ometer' twitch...

This is an interesting area to me. I get why this would make your big brother antennae tweaking, but I think it's absolutely right for the police to be using the tools they have available to help enforce the law.

For one thing, those cameras are already there. It's not like some massive undercover surveillance system has suddenly been rolled out; it's been around for years to help manage traffic flow and prevent  / detect crime. It's being used for exactly that second purpose now.

For another, detecting people flagrantly flouting the rules is a clear social good in my view, and would be a hell of a lot harder without the technology. I mean the examples given are extraordinary; 200 miles for a fishing trip, 150 miles for a walk on the beach. I suspect those are the tip of the iceberg tbh, and identifying them, sanctioning them and then calling them out publically surely helps achieve our goal of stopping the virus spreading.

Interested in other views though, as clearly there is a line the police need to be careful not to cross, and I am very concerned about long-term infringements on civil liberties.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#933 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:22:04 pm
I see the police are now using ANPR to track people and call them out for 'unnecessary' journeys...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dozens-fined-for-heading-to-the-beach-during-lockdown-11972845

This starts to make my 'big brother-ometer' twitch...

This is an interesting area to me. I get why this would make your big brother antennae tweaking, but I think it's absolutely right for the police to be using the tools they have available to help enforce the law.

For one thing, those cameras are already there. It's not like some massive undercover surveillance system has suddenly been rolled out; it's been around for years to help manage traffic flow and prevent  / detect crime. It's being used for exactly that second purpose now.

For another, detecting people flagrantly flouting the rules is a clear social good in my view, and would be a hell of a lot harder without the technology. I mean the examples given are extraordinary; 200 miles for a fishing trip, 150 miles for a walk on the beach. I suspect those are the tip of the iceberg tbh, and identifying them, sanctioning them and then calling them out publically surely helps achieve our goal of stopping the virus spreading.

Interested in other views though, as clearly there is a line the police need to be careful not to cross, and I am very concerned about long-term infringements on civil liberties.

At the moment, I'd be in favour of armed drones to just get this shit done with. Frankly I'm finding the current situation pretty grim. People taking the piss may be helping to prolong lockdown and risks for health and care workers, and supermarket staff among others.

Paul B

• forum hero
#934 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:36:27 pm
Was that a prod at me to respond to your earlier post? There seem to be two arguments here - travel and SD.

Really not. I typed a response but there's been so many posts since then I'm going to duck out. I think essentially most people I've quoted or responded to are actually on a fairly similar page!

Doylo

• forum hero
#935 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:39:35 pm
 :chair:

Doylo

• forum hero
#936 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:47:18 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#937 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:55:06 pm
@bradders @toby yeah - I can see the need - made it twitch not start registering :)

abarro81

• forum hero
#938 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 12:59:14 pm
People taking the piss doing anything non-essential like walking or biking or running or skipping or yoga or buying alcohol or shopping more than once every few weeks or... may be helping to prolong lockdown and risks for health and care workers, and supermarket staff among others.

Fixed. Bored of making the same points now so suspect I'm done posting

JamieG

• forum hero
#939 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 03:40:56 pm
I think this whole discussion boils down to even if people are not officially breaking the law, are they acting in the spirit of it? Everyone draws the line at different places and everybody 'breaks the law' regularly (speeding etc), but most of us try to act in good faith the majority of the time.

It seems some people are not acting in the spirit of the law/guidelines at the moment by climbing at very public crags. It is hardly surprising that is quite frustrating when you are trying your best to help avoid the spread. If you really must climb it isn't hard to keep it quiet.

galpinos

• forum hero
#940 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 04:49:50 pm
In general, I actually think people are being pretty good. I live in South Manchester, it's pretty built up, and people are taking it seriously - sensible in the parks, crossing the road on narrow pavements, runners generally in the road, not on the pavements. Obviously there's the odd twat in full lycra with 80mm deep rims that is obviously not just getting his 30 mins in (it's ok Barrows, we all hate cyclists, you are not alone) but the vast majority are on board.

Re the van lifer. The "stay where you are rule" is fine, unless you then drive round the peak interacting with multiple local communities. It does seem like he is taking the piss but who knows. At least the chumps at Stanage have picked a decent crag. Van lifing in the UK is pretty rubbish anyway, I hope he has a septic tank on board.

Re Will and your board vids, keep them coming. I'm looking forward to the day you actually finish a problem instead of just grabbing the top of the board*...........

*Is my board jealousy visible in that sentence?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#941 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 05:06:13 pm
I've actually got some slopey screw on things which I'm going to screw to the top bar to try and use as finishing holds. No idea if they're too good or too shit yet. Suspect it might be quite difficult as the last footholds are quite far away at that point.

205Chris

• forum hero
#942 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 07:10:45 pm
Re: the whole climbing at the crag as my van is parked there.

Bonjoy hit the nail on the head with his earlier post. It's not about how you interpret the Government guidelines on exercise or whether you happened to be parked at Stanage / Raven Tor when the lockdown was announced. It's about access.

The BMC (which does a fantastic job negotiating access to crags, mainly through a small number of dedicated volunteers, many of whom post on here) has advised people to not go climbing. It's clear cut advice, with no grey areas for interpretation. For what it's worth, UKC are saying the same.

I can well imagine that local residents will be getting twitchy seeing climbers out and about whether they are acting illegally or not. Especially in prominent places like Rubicon where access is delicate at best.

A tongue in cheek post on the Yorkshire sport climbing Facebook group was picked up by a local who was rightly concerned about a potential car load of climbers rocking up to go climbing during lockdown.

Is Whitehouses not in people's recent memory? Sensitive access issues, upset locals? End result, the irreversible destruction of the crag.

Anyone who is still climbing outside in the current climate is acting in a selfish irresponsible way t that only risks jeopardising access for the rest of us when restrictions get lifted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#943 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 14, 2020, 10:12:44 pm
I hope he has a septic tank on board.

I'd have thought they would have flown back home.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#944 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 15, 2020, 11:27:54 am
Anyone who is still climbing outside in the current climate is acting in a selfish irresponsible way t that only risks jeopardising access for the rest of us when restrictions get lifted.

I've been told this morning of access being lost to 2 crags due to landowners seeing climbers there during the lockdown. I'm trying to find which they are.

Meanwhile I have also been told (2nd hand) that a local A & E has seen a sharp increase in injured cyclists due to inexperienced riders dusting off their old bikes again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:35:44 am by Ru »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#945 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 15, 2020, 11:57:24 am
I've seen a few folk wobbling about on bikes without helmets.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#946 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 15, 2020, 12:05:58 pm
I've seen climbers without helmets too.

SA Chris

• forum hero

T_B

• forum hero
#948 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 15, 2020, 12:51:34 pm

I've been told this morning of access being lost to 2 crags due to landowners seeing climbers there during the lockdown. I'm trying to find which they are.

Someone told you access had been lost to 2 crags but didn’t tell you which ones they were? Who told you that?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#949 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 15, 2020, 01:16:26 pm
Someone told you access had been lost to 2 crags but didn’t tell you which ones they were? Who told you that?

It was incidental information in an email from a BMC access rep.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal