UKBouldering.com

Toddler friendly UK bouldering destinations? (Read 4187 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Ruthven boulder has a short approach and flat base. Good climbing too.
Also an RSPB site on a loch with a short walk thorough woods, plenty of wildlife indulging magnifIcent Slavonian Grebes at the right time of year.

Good additions from AtA and nai. I've never known a toddler not get excited by Slavonian Grebes! Looks like some locals have been developing new stuff in Strathspey too, scragrock......

Forgot to mention Primrose Bay has a great cave for exploring, and if there is any swell the beach is great for bodyboarding with kids. Lossie is better for that, but I'm not sure the bridge has been fixed yet.

JamieG

• forum hero
Might have been mentioned already but both Humphrey Head and Eskdale Fisherground in the Lakes are pretty easy with a toddler. Langdale boulders too. We went to all of them with a 1 and half year old with no trouble last year.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Fuck off Will x

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
On second thoughts, South Devon and Dartmoor are really awful and everybody should really stay away...

To be fair, if I was considering North vs SW in September, I know I'd be heading SW; works of the crowds have gone, Winter swells starting to come in.

Only trouble is it would mean having to visit my parents in Dawlish.

Saying that, SW Wales would be pretty good too, assuming by Wales you mean N Wales.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
We've been to the following places with ours chris.

Northumberland - Bowden, back and other places I can't remember the name of, Gimmerknowe(?). Often short approach and flat and grassy at the crags. so really good for toddlers as an area - beach too.

Lakes - we stayed in the cottage by the campsite at eskdale. 30 seconds walk to the boulders, ideal as I could squeeze in climbing around a normal day. miniature train. bouldering not extensive but it's really nice. this part of lakes is a bit quieter.

Bowderstone for obvious reasons.

Can't think of any others.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
We’ve bouldered at most of the venues mentioned with our toddler, while he was between the ages of 1 and 3. Including some of gnarlier ones. If you’re happy with a bit of rope work, I use short roping a fair bit with our lad. It can turn a potentially epic, miserable approach into a great adventure.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
We’ve bouldered at most of the venues mentioned with our toddler, while he was between the ages of 1 and 3. Including some of gnarlier ones. If you’re happy with a bit of rope work, I use short roping a fair bit with our lad. It can turn a potentially epic, miserable approach into a great adventure.

This.

A good full body harness, a natty helmet, lowering them off and raising them over obstacles etc.
Mega adventures abound!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal