UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291870 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#125 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:04:12 pm
Given how the new cases has just rocketed - I’d be amazed if we make it to Monday morning before a complete lockdown...

gme

• forum hero
#126 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:04:55 pm
Had two hours out up here. Never saw a soul, no walkers either. Typically of county crags it didn’t actually look like anybody had been there in months.
15 mins drive from the house, no high balls and guess my feet never went more than 6 ft off the deck.
Can’t see how I put anyone at risk and it’s cleared my head after a mental week.

Duma

• forum hero
#127 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:20:24 pm
Is this Brean, Duma?

No, Tirpentwys (S Wales sandstone). Brean is about the last crag I'd describe as fairly quiet! I wouldn't consider it at the weekend atm.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#128 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:42:36 pm
Is this Brean, Duma?

No, Tirpentwys (S Wales sandstone). Brean is about the last crag I'd describe as fairly quiet! I wouldn't consider it at the weekend atm.

I was going to say.

Will pm you.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#129 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:58:08 pm
Started a poll.

Having read comments and reflected I agree travelling to and climbing on Malham Catwalk is unacceptable.

Undecided what outdoor climbing, if anything, is acceptable.

:'(

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#130 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:04:17 pm
For reference current BMC guidance with caveats is here:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/should-you-go-climbing-outdoors-and-hill-walking

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#131 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:12:12 pm

Having read comments and reflected I agree travelling to and climbing on Malham Catwalk is unacceptable.

Did you go to Malham today? Heard it was like a bank hol weekend up there...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#132 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:25:55 pm
Took the dogs a kids for a walk today. Kept away from everyone else, took a flask.
Felt ok about it.

But, this evening, there are a good deal of posts, like the one below, by various MR teams. They don’t want to have to get together to come get you if you fuck up.

And, I kinda see their point.

Just can’t see walking or climbing as an infection risk. As long as nothing goes wrong.
Then a Welsh friend shared pictures of the Snowdon car parks today.
It’s nuts.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#133 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:27:19 pm
Started a poll.

Undecided what outdoor climbing, if anything, is acceptable.

:'(

I went to Rubicon today. Deserted, although extremely muddy.

Bradders

• forum hero
#134 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:31:12 pm
why do you think the UK isn't going to follow in terms of infection rates?

I don't. I think the measures in other countries are impractical and unsustainable, especially when they infringe on activities that are very unlikely to spread the virus if practiced safely. But that's just me.

I went to Simon's Seat today. Very busy with walkers, almost all seemingly family groups. Three pairs of climbers. Didn't go anywhere near anyone the whole time and Fiend's idea of taking a flask of hot soapy water was genius.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#135 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:32:09 pm
Had two hours out up here. Never saw a soul, no walkers either. Typically of county crags it didn’t actually look like anybody had been there in months.
15 mins drive from the house, no high balls and guess my feet never went more than 6 ft off the deck.
Can’t see how I put anyone at risk and it’s cleared my head after a mental week.

Totally agree with this. I really think getting outside somewhere quiet and on your own or with person you live with will be very good for the head over the coming months.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#136 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:35:50 pm

Did you go to Malham today? Heard it was like a bank hol weekend up there...

Anston, Woodys. Just me and my son there.

Duma

• forum hero
#137 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:43:26 pm
Re the poll, there's a big diff in my mind between solo bouldering on highball/sketchy landings/remote stuff and solo bouldering on lowball/decent landing/nearby stuff. Also I do think it's possible, though tricky and more effort, to sport climb with a partner you don't live with. Not lift sharing to start with would make a big diff.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#138 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:57:30 pm
I’m not going to climb until we’re in a less scary stage of this. Probably an easier decision for me to make than most given that I don’t climb on my own these days anyway and had a long period of not knowing when or if I’d climb again fairly recently.

Explored a new bit of Bleaklow with my other half today- it was great and we didn’t go near anyone.  :ang: Parking situation was like you’d expect for the first nice weekend of any spring but we only saw one group larger than a family unit.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#139 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 08:59:59 pm
[
Just can’t see walking or climbing as an infection risk. As long as nothing goes wrong.
Then a Welsh friend shared pictures of the Snowdon car parks today.
It’s nuts.
[/quote]

Climbing is an infection risk though.  If you use the same holds as someone has that day, who is infected, or visa versa.  Not sure how long the virus stays on surfaces outdoors but the duration being spoken of indoors is 3 days.  Unless you thoroughly scrub your hand before and after plus use new chalk from a unused container every time.  Then probably wash the holds down after just in case.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#140 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 09:40:06 pm
My day was inadvertently Covid mindful. I intended to climb at an esoteric crag, couldn't find it, walked for an hour though deep mud carrying mats, gave up and went home and spent an hour and a half on my neglected Beastmaker. 

Probably the best result in the circumstances - isolated exercise in the open air, then maintaining climbing strength in a fairly risk free manner. Providing there is no lockdown, I might make a habit of it - visiting crags with long walk-ins, to eye up future projects and keep psyched, but not climbing, and keeping my fingers in shape by fingerboarding.

PS Incidentally, using the Beastmaker app made me realise why I avoid repeater based protocols - too much like hard work! I thought I had decent finger strength but I can barely do the 2nd easiest routine! (it involves back 2 hangs, crikey). Still, I guess I'm  going to have plenty of time to improve!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#141 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 09:48:30 pm
This from Llanberis MRT https://www.facebook.com/llanberismrt/posts/3535354009870995/

Hope they are OK.  But still FFS

TobyD

• forum hero
#142 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 10:16:17 pm
Re the poll, there's a big diff in my mind between solo bouldering on highball/sketchy landings/remote stuff and solo bouldering on lowball/decent landing/nearby stuff. Also I do think it's possible, though tricky and more effort, to sport climb with a partner you don't live with. Not lift sharing to start with would make a big diff.

I agree totally, route climbing is definitely potentially ok in the right location, remember the primary transmission mechanism is airborne droplets not touch, which is far less likely. The fact that we're out in the fresh air makes a massive difference. Car sharing probably not really okay even if you had all the windows open!

TobyD

• forum hero
#143 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 10:17:48 pm
My day was inadvertently Covid mindful. I intended to climb at an esoteric crag, couldn't find it, walked for an hour though deep mud carrying mats, gave up and went home and spent an hour and a half on my neglected Beastmaker. 

Probably the best result in the circumstances - isolated exercise in the open air, then maintaining climbing strength in a fairly risk free manner. Providing there is no lockdown, I might make a habit of it - visiting crags with long walk-ins, to eye up future projects and keep psyched, but not climbing, and keeping my fingers in shape by fingerboarding.

PS Incidentally, using the Beastmaker app made me realise why I avoid repeater based protocols - too much like hard work! I thought I had decent finger strength but I can barely do the 2nd easiest routine! (it involves back 2 hangs, crikey). Still, I guess I'm  going to have plenty of time to improve!

Nice one. I intend to get a fingerboard sorted out asap. Rock rings are not going to cut it for the next few months

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#144 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 10:43:08 pm
It’s going to be shut down.

It doesn’t matter what we think or reason. Absolutely everything about the daily figures here, match or exceed the Italian numbers at the same point relative to the first 10 deaths, but we’re now behind on counter measures.
And their counter measures are not, in the main, working well enough yet.

Given the rhetoric that is coming out of Bojo’s office today, we’re days away from shut down. He’s virtually pleading.
Coronavirus: Lombardy region announces stricter measures https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51991972

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#145 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 10:54:41 pm
Given the rhetoric that is coming out of Bojo’s office today, we’re days away from shut down.

Weird for an arch Libertarian to be taking the lead on this

TobyD

• forum hero
#146 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 11:22:06 pm
Given the rhetoric that is coming out of Bojo’s office today, we’re days away from shut down.

Weird for an arch Libertarian to be taking the lead on this

Much as I've always regarded him as a self interested toe rag with no morals or integrity, I have to say I respect what Johnson is doing. I think he's trying his best to give people s chance to behave sensibly before legally enforceable measures are brought in. What they've done for wages etc already is miles further left than any serious left wing party has ever considered.
The sad thing is, Johnson may have over estimated the intelligence and public spiritedness of the British people.
The death figures increased 30% in a day today. I wonder if all those people in the pub last night had a good think about that.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#147 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 11:25:34 pm
“They” know more than we do and “They” are scared.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#148 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 12:01:06 am
Went to Ilkley Back Quarry and Rocky Valley today. I appreciate these aren't unpopular crags, but my MO was to keep social distancing up. Didn't go near anybody all day, I think the closest I got was a couple in the back quarry who were sat under Ilkley Bar Kid while I warmed up on Blue Cock Wall. They left and I eventually walked on to Crimson Tear.

Despite maintaining distance, I feel a bit uncomfortable about this. Although I kept my distance from everyone, it's not helpful to have such a large number of people all in one place. Cars overspilling the car park! And people in big multi-generational groups!

I feel like I can still keep climbing responsibly but really need to dial down the popularity and get to some of the places where no climbers go and which aren't mobbed with walkers.

Though I expect a nationwide shut down will beat me to it. Here's praying that the new board holds arrive before that happens!

The worst thing was how so many people are not heeding the advice at all. There was even a group of three teenage boys who piled out of a taxi and ran over to their mates while shouting that they'd skipped the fare. They all legged it into the quarry. That taxi driver is probably going to be trying to scrape by on 90 quid a week in a few days. Cunts cunts cunts.

tomtom

• forum hero
#149 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 07:25:46 am
Yesterday I was a 3 on the poll list - today I’m a 4.

I see all the articles about idiots going out in groups and doing things - and realise that really I’m an idiot. My trip to the boulders - whilst very good for my wellbeing - is completely non-essential.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal