UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291815 times)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#100 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 06:33:26 pm
There’s lots of good thoughtful advice on this thread but if you are climbing on the same bloc with someone you do not live with, that’s a dick move.

Sorry if that’s harsh. Still wound up by my walk.

Agree. I don't think that's any different to what many have been saying. It's not harsh, it's the (utterly mind-boggling) reality.

Stu, did your walk in any way make you reconsider your decision not to climb? I find it really hard to think of binning off climbing when everyone else is still doing way dumber stuff (going to the pub, meeting up for picnics, going out for meals etc.)
EDIT: much of the above just banned

Even with all those things banned, I still think climbing exclusively on your own is okay. In fact watching the briefing at the moment the Deputy CMO has specifically called out exercise on your own outside as something she would encourage.

It'd not ok in France, where I live, or Italy or Spain, why do you think the UK isn't going to follow in terms of infection rates? It's really difficult to maintain the discipline of restraint, whilst you see others not doing so, but I can't really see any other morally acceptable alternative.

Paul B

• forum hero
#101 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 06:38:15 pm
Stu, did your walk in any way make you reconsider your decision not to climb? I find it really hard to think of binning off climbing when everyone else is still doing way dumber stuff (going to the pub, meeting up for picnics, going out for meals etc.)
EDIT: much of the above just banned

Reconsidering your communal board sessions yet?  :worms:

I've had a similar experience to Stu today here in the Ribble Valley. The pubs were fairly packed and from early too.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#102 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 06:46:59 pm
I think our decision not to climb at all is over cautious but I’m happy with it.

I’ve never been one to think “fuck it, if everyone else is doing it...” If you keep the moral high ground and the world does go full zombie apocalypse at least I’ll not feel I made it worse.

I am still fuming though, but I alternate between being mad at the government for not being clearer and mad at the individuals for being berks.

abarro81

• forum hero
#103 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 07:19:19 pm

Reconsidering your communal board sessions yet?  :worms:

Huh? Not been to a wall (commercial or otherwise) since middle of last week and don't see that changing any time soon ...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#104 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 08:35:37 pm
I think our decision not to climb at all is over cautious but I’m happy with it.

I’ve never been one to think “fuck it, if everyone else is doing it...” If you keep the moral high ground and the world does go full zombie apocalypse at least I’ll not feel I made it worse.

I am still fuming though, but I alternate between being mad at the government for not being clearer and mad at the individuals for being berks.

The pub opposite my flat is absolutely rammed. Berks does not even begin to do justice to my feelings about these people.  Selfish assholes just don't seem to care they're prolonging the situation and effectively killing people

petejh

• forum hero
#105 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 08:46:25 pm
I don't think they're malicious, I think they just don't get their heads around exponential growth. Mass of the population have form in not grasping the compound interest they pay (but don't seek to earn by saving) is what keeps them working for the man; so why would they understand compound growth in deaths among people they'll never meet. Frustrating yes but surprising, really?   

Doylo

• forum hero
#106 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:57:38 pm
Not enough people distancing for it to be effective and there’s no prospect of it being enforced even in London. This country’s totally fucked.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#107 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:08:20 pm
Treating the closure like Mardi Gras in half the pubs in town... You cant make this stuff up  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#108 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:38:29 pm

In contrast Lyme park was full on the way there and back when we went past...

National Trust are going to seriously regret making everything free. Intentions were good though.
Fake news... (from me - sorry) car park wasn’t full (signs said it was) they’ve closed the estate to all except pedestrians.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#109 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 09:06:09 am
Went to Caley last night. Didn't see a single person and my car was the only one parked in the lay by. Washed my hands as best I could when I left the crag and then again when I got home.

Drove home past all the people in fancy dress doing the Otley run then had my riskiest moment of the day chatting to my neighbour on the drive.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#110 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 09:26:14 am
I don't think they're malicious, I think they just don't get their heads around exponential growth. Mass of the population have form in not grasping the compound interest they pay (but don't seek to earn by saving) is what keeps them working for the man; so why would they understand compound growth in deaths among people they'll never meet. Frustrating yes but surprising, really?

That doesn't mean I feel any less anger at these c**ks when me and all my colleagues are shitting ourselves about trying to get effective PPE in rural Derbyshire and being sent out to crisis patients and hospital discharges with no idea if they're infected.
I think this degree of willful carelessness should merit punishment. Unfortunately Im sure the police have better things to do.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#111 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 09:32:25 am

That doesn't mean I feel any less anger at these c**ks when me and all my colleagues are shitting ourselves about trying to get effective PPE in rural Derbyshire and being sent out to crisis patients and hospital discharges with no idea if they're infected.
I think this degree of willful carelessness should merit punishment. Unfortunately Im sure the police have better things to do.

Agree.

Given everything many of us are sacrificing for this, I don’t feel inclined to either forgive or forget, those who think it’s all a joke.

Worse, if the sacrifice pays off, the c&£nts are never going to realise their c&£ntishness.

Doylo

• forum hero
#112 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 10:06:39 am
Pretty hard to get 66 million people to behave when a large proportion of them are cunts. Bank holiday levels of business in the Pass and Anglesey yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:13:31 am by Doylo »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#113 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 03:34:39 pm
Pictures on TV over coming weeks may have an impact on people’s behaviour. Fear may do more than govt recommendations.

tomtom

• forum hero
#114 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 03:44:46 pm
Pictures on TV over coming weeks may have an impact on people’s behaviour. Fear may do more than govt recommendations.

Might be a bit late then :( pics from Italian hospitals are shocking... but only Sky are running them. Maybe a steer not to scare people too much.

Who knows.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#115 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 04:12:35 pm
The only thing you can really know is that the true picture today will not be visible for a couple of weeks.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#116 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 04:30:20 pm
Various reports of popular crags super busy with groups today 🤯

Why couldn’t have corona coincided with the terrible weather we’ve had up until now...

tomtom

• forum hero
#117 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 04:45:50 pm
Various reports of popular crags super busy with groups today...

Why are people so fucking lazy. That’s all I can put it down to. Mentally lazy really not to think of going somewhere else.

I went to Blackstone today.. 20 min walk in (good for you apparently!) cold and windy but plenty sheltered and great conditions on the rock.

Not one other person climbing in the 4 hours I was there (and there’s a lot of rock to go around too..) Lots of walkers and the car park was busy.. but no climbers.

You’re killing people ffs.

T_B

• forum hero
#118 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 04:57:38 pm
I took the kids down the park v early today and there was a group of 10 people doing an outdoor fitness class.

The Peak is heaving this afternoon.

I don’t see this as a failure of individuals or callousness on their part, the message simply hasn’t been communicated effectively.

Also, how are people supposed to understand that it’s ok to go to the supermarket with literally thousands of others, yet they can’t go for a walk with anyone outside their household?

tomtom

• forum hero
#119 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 05:18:24 pm
Agree - people just don’t get it.

It’s pretty bleeding obvious to see where this is going. It’ll be like the pubs - you ask people not to go. They still go. You shut the pubs.

Same will happen outdoors I recon. By early next week I expect. Couple of bad days of numbers and we’ll enter the lockdown proper.

To be fair that was probably always going to be where this ended up...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#120 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 05:42:47 pm
I was having a look at the guidance again earlier, and there doesn’t seem to be anything in there about not travelling, just no unnecessary travel by public transport (unless I missed something).  I wonder if people are just putting this together with the ‘get some fresh air’ guidance and ignoring some of the social distancing stuff (may not seem as appropriate outside)?

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#121 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 05:43:51 pm
Various reports of popular crags super busy with groups today 🤯

Why couldn’t have corona coincided with the terrible weather we’ve had up until now...

I know right!

monkey boy

• forum hero
#122 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 06:38:24 pm
I went to an esoteric place earlier on today and didn't see a soul all day, even walking in and out. It's totally possible to do but it seems a lot of people aren't doing it. I hear Curbar and Gardoms were very busy!

Duma

• forum hero
#123 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 06:42:37 pm
Think the lovely weather this weekend after such a miserable winter is too tempting for lots of folk. Probably an element of "it may be the last chance to get out for months" too.

I went sport climbing with the gf today, some observations:

It's very easy, even at relatively small crags with several pairs operating, to keep well over 2m distance. The groups going for a walk past were much closer together than any climbers.

Even when there's plenty of routes, there's rarely that many at a suitable grade, and not that many good ones, so it's hard to avoid climbing routes that have already been done that day.

It's a fairly quiet crag but there was at least 6 pairs there, and 4 of those seemed to be folk who didn't live together - think this and lift sharing is much more likely to be an effective vector than using the same holds as others.

Hand Sanitiser before and after routes was easy enough, but clipping without using your mouth is mostly unfeasible.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#124 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 21, 2020, 07:02:57 pm
Is this Brean, Duma?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal