UKBouldering.com

UK election 2017 (Read 133051 times)

dave

#500 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:09:43 am
Let's not fuck about, in the face of the majority of papers being Tory backers, and the bias of the BBC coverage of Corbyn, and half the parliamentary labour party being on his back from day one, this is nothing short of an absolute triumph for Corbyn. If for example that reptile Murdoch had been onside like in 1997 (not that I want him on side) it would have been an absolute landslide. Complete and utter disaster for May and the Tories.

Plus I made £70.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#501 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:18:51 am
https://media.giphy.com/media/v6hN7PzmrE5Jm/giphy.gif

Who's laughing now!!!

Big question why did Tory vote increase in Scotland/Wales?

Although the election will go down as a Labour loss, it kind of feels like a win.
After everything that has gone on over the last couple of months a positive result?
Sometimes it is better the devil you know, the big sharks are swimming around and can sense blood - bozzer, grove, rudd- things could get worse before they get better.

EU negotiators will be laughing their heads off, Britain can't get it's shit together.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:27:27 am by jfdm »

sdm

• forum abuser
#502 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:21:44 am
I might post this question here as well:

For free and fair elections I tend to use the uninformed prior: i.e. that the outcome is 50/50, but that this can be updated closer to the election as people prepare themselves for voting and polling improves. Can someone explain why everyone is so sure that this election is very lopsided in favour of the tories? The voters have had 0 days to make up their mind so far.

Give people time, and they might change their opinion.

Give people a second re-run election, they might even change their opinion again.

Whilst there are elements of relief in this result, the trajectory for exiting the EU looks ominous. I suspect the history books will judge the Tory administration since 2010 very harshly.
#weakandwobbly

tomtom

• forum hero
#503 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:27:41 am
Boom! Gave up at 4am :)

I recon Corbyn should try and form a minority government with one of the key items on the queens speech being introducing PR. Hoover up support of the small parties..

sdm

• forum abuser
#504 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:29:58 am
FPTP maintains the 2 party system. Why would Corbyn give that up?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#505 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:30:38 am
Let's not fuck about, in the face of the majority of papers being Tory backers, and the bias of the BBC coverage of Corbyn, and half the parliamentary labour party being on his back from day one, this is nothing short of an absolute triumph for Corbyn. If for example that reptile Murdoch had been onside like in 1997 (not that I want him on side) it would have been an absolute landslide. Complete and utter disaster for May and the Tories.

Plus I made £70.

That evil shit will be dead by the next election, or at least so feeble he'll be ineffective.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#506 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:31:58 am
FPTP maintains the 2 party system. Why would Corbyn give that up?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I thought you lot said he was a fair minded man?

Nigel

• forum hero
#507 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:32:32 am

Plus I made £70.

Right, I've had very little sleep and am still pissed so I might be dreaming, but spot on Dave. Really don't want to say "I told you so" so I won't (except just there). But this is all Corbyn's, there's going to be a lot of humble pie getting scranned today by experts, pundits, journos, and labour MPs. Surprising number of trots, entryists, commies etc. all throughout the country.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#508 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:34:46 am
Boom! Gave up at 4am :)

I recon Corbyn should try and form a minority government with one of the key items on the queens speech being introducing PR. Hoover up support of the small parties..

A progressive coalition.

Has a nice ring to it, in my mind.

Sturgeon is reaping the rewards of over egging her referendum, that's what pushed so many Scots to choose the party most likely to block a second ref.
Stop talking about a referendum and that blue tinge will evaporate.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#509 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:40:08 am

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#510 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 08:45:49 am
Went to bed at three (having switched to herbal tea several hours earlier - I didn't want a hangover like on Brexit day) thinking the Tories might have pipped it.  Blimey what a triumph for Corbyn and a disaster for May.   She's finished... The Torres have got some work to do over the next few years if that youth vote stays consistent.  Off to work but looking forward to a weekend reading all the papers  :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#511 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 09:04:20 am
An interesting thought, along with the rumour that Murdoch stormed out of the Times election party, in a tantrum, after the exit poll was announced:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hstmoore

• player
#512 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 09:22:44 am
I'm 100% behind Corbyn and accept that he has been thoroughly demonised by the mainstream press, but Another Angry Voice is a (digital) rag as guilty of ad hominems and hyperbole as some of the worst right-wing offenders.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#513 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 09:58:38 am
An interesting thought, along with the rumour that Murdoch stormed out of the Times election party, in a tantrum, after the exit poll was announced:

err the guardian and the indi?

I've read nothing from (let alone heard of some of) the publications he lists.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#514 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 10:41:21 am
ConDUP coalition, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Hasn't the NI parliament collapsed because Sinn fein DUP could agree on things.
Cant see how the strong and stable thing could work out.
DUP could start an argument in a phone box!

dave

#515 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 10:46:51 am
Surely the DUP will force a soft brexit?

jfdm

• obsessive maniac

dave

#517 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 10:59:07 am
I don't know much about the DUP but saw this genius line on twitter:

Just seen someone describe the DUP manifesto as "basically just the bible, with fortnightly bin collections"

sdm

• forum abuser
#518 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 10:59:34 am
Surely the DUP will force a soft brexit?
I don't know enough about the DUP but I was under the impression that they had broadly similar plans.

I would have thought her own party (Clarke, Soubry etc) may be more effective in forcing a change in brexit policy. Without a majority, she will find it much harder to push things through if they threaten to rebel.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#519 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:11:03 am
I think this could be a match made in heaven...

From Jan in the Independent

Power-sharing has collapsed in Northern Ireland, ending more than a decade of joint-rule between unionist and nationalist politicians.

Mr McGuinness resigned last Monday, citing concerns about the Democratic Unionist Party’s “arrogance” at how they had handled allegations of a financial scandal. The party’s leader, Northern Ireland First Minister Arlene Foster, is implicated in a government scheme which was badly handled under her tenure.

The Renewable Heat Incentive scheme, which was set up in 2012, was designed to encourage local businesses to use renewable heat sources, however it appears to have been seriously flawed in its implementation and instead paid businesses money to pointlessly burn fuel. It is estimated that the affair has cost the tax payer more than £490 million.

One of Ms Foster’s party colleagues added further criticism when he alleged she had asked civil servants to alter documents in order to reduce the appearance of her role in the scheme. She denies the allegations.

Ms Foster denies any wrong doing and has refused calls to step down. Mr McGuinness therefore resigned on Monday. Under power-sharing rules, both politicians must govern jointly. Therefore, if one resigns, their counterpart also loses their position.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#520 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:22:14 am
We just became a Theocracy, May the God Botherer-in-chief and the Monks of doom!

https://www.facebook.com/TheIndependentOnline/posts/10154883268651636

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#521 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:38:58 am
We just became a Theocracy, May the God Botherer-in-chief and the Monks of doom!

https://www.facebook.com/TheIndependentOnline/posts/10154883268651636

I can just imagine hearing the hallow tone of St Teresea

"The country have given "me" the mandate I need to form a Brexit Government. I have been working with our partners in Northern Ireland the DUP to create a great democratic and patriotic alliance needed to steer us through these difficult times.
I wont be taking any questions at this time as I have very important Brexit meetings to attend today.
Finally I would like to thank once again the public of Great Britain for believing in me."

Hollow and empty rather than strong and stable.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:57:23 am by jfdm »

Duma

• forum hero
#522 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:50:19 am
"Of course, Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that process of normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have rescinded violence can be brought into the normal democratic process is a good thing. But for the Tories to end an election campaign which they spent attacking Corbyn for his alleged links to former Northern Irish terrorists by going into coalition with a party founded by former Northern Irish terrorists would be a deep irony."

from https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-ramsay/so-who-are-dup

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#523 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:57:38 am
The big losers last night were SNP. They just lost a huge amount of credibility and it has to stymie Indy ref 2...

SamT

• forum hero
#524 Re: UK election 2017
June 09, 2017, 11:57:50 am
Interesting that, gives my seat as a potential Lab win.
I was assuming it would be a fairly safe LibDem (Cleggy) done deal. Therefore standard tactical voting protocol would have dictated that I vote LibDem, but I suppose since the Tories have no chance here that I should actually vote Lab this time with no real risk.

I will definitely not be voting Labour in Sheffield Hallam. Nationally, Labour cannot win outright unless there is some miracle turnaround in Scotland. Therefore the best we can hope for is a rainbow coalition of the left. I can't think of another MP who will bring more valuable recent experience to that coalition than Clegg.

I was planning to vote Green but am a bit conflicted due to this. I don't think another inexperienced Labour MP would have much to offer in comparison, and locally the Labour council (as witnessed by the Amey Tree 'care' contract) is verging on the rotten.

Edit:
be nice to see that last bit of non-Labour South Yorkshire coloured red

As above, no thanks. Not being a rabid FPTP supporter I'd like to see as much diversity represented as possible. Ideally Sheff Central might go Green too.

TV cameras are out in Nethergreen at the moment interviewing following Cleggs demise.

I was torn between Green and Labour (central ward) and in any other election  would probably have voted Green.  (as I'm not sure I particularly like Paul Blomfield)
However, I couldn't bring myself to moan about labours defeat if I'd not voted for them.

Whats slightly concerning is the tories got more votes in Central than the Greens by quite some margin.

Labour Paul Blomfield            Votes 33,963    70.9 +15.9

Conservative Stephanie Roe   Votes 6,215   13.0 +1.8

Green Party Natalie Bennett   Votes 3,848   8.0 -7.8

Liberal Democrat Shaffaq Mohammed   Votes 2,465   5.1 -4.5

UKIP Dominic Cook                   Votes 1,060   2.2 -5.2

Which I guess is down to former green voters moving to labour rather than the cons getting more of the vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal