UKBouldering.com

Identity and Conflict. (Read 6826 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#25 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 26, 2019, 09:52:46 am
I recall seeing a very interesting documentary about the social relations and politics of chimps in their natural environment. The identity-related issue goes as follows: when a group thrives and reaches quite a big size, it seems that the chimps start to loose track of who is "us" and who is "them". Maybe because they can't recall too many faces with certainty. When the critical size is reached, a period of very unstable chimp-politics occurs, a civil war of sorts, until finally the group splits in two. At this point the political order within the two now-independent groups is quickly re-established and the two remaining tribes can go on with their usual monkey bussiness (including fighting, killing and eating their neighbors)

Presumably they eventually end up introducing regulations on bananas.

(great post btw - chimps teach us so much!)

Hypothetically...

We’re supposed to have advanced beyond this.

At least, we don’t (often) eat members of neighbouring tribe.*

*Without a nice Chianti and some Fava beans, anyway.

luckyjez

• addict
#26 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 26, 2019, 02:25:00 pm
I'm back. Great replies as always on here, which was why I posted in the first place.
I think I was really bemoaning the importance of identity (and the rejection of others) and the hierarchy of these; 1. species, 2. gender, 3. colour etc etc (arrange in an order appropriate to yourself). "Hey man - we're all humans. let's just get along together ok?"
I'm thinking that having identities are evolutionary biological drives and probably very hard to resist. I also completely recognise that I'm able to think that they shouldn't be as important as they are, because my identity is part of a perceived norm in my society. I have white/class/education privilege. If something about me defined how everyone else reacts to me, I'd probably think it was pretty important too.
I was also thinking how we tend to give others identities from visual cues (probably another biological imperative - does it/they look like a threat) - hence the importance of skin colour and style of dress in assigning identities to yourself and others. That could be why there has been such shock and vitriol following the Brexit vote. Those who we thought were the same as us (nationality, colour, language, education) are now the 'other' because of their expressed views and assumptions of being the same identity/tribe have been demolished.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#27 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 29, 2019, 03:36:38 pm
On the above note, and not too far off topic...

Having now read this review, I feel I should read the book.

Sort of.

However, I’ll be buggered if I’m going to buy it, so it’ll have to wait until I find an abandoned copy or it drops to £0.01 on iBooks...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/24/white-by-bret-easton-ellis-review-sound-fury-and-insignificance?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1556102560

So I buckled and went to buy it.

But, right beside it was Metzl’s “Dying of Whiteness” and I picked that up instead...

andy popp

• forum hero
#28 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 29, 2019, 04:04:37 pm

But, right beside it was Metzl’s “Dying of Whiteness” and I picked that up instead...

Good choice. Ellis' book sounds fucking awful

Metzl was talking about Dying of Whiteness at a DC bookstore this weekend when he was interrupted by a small groupd of white supremacist protestors chanting "This land is our land." Idiots.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#29 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 29, 2019, 04:13:07 pm

Good choice. Ellis' book sounds fucking awful

Metzl was talking about Dying of Whiteness at a DC bookstore this weekend when he was interrupted by a small groupd of white supremacist protestors chanting "This land is our land." Idiots.
Well there’s some historical inaccuracy to begin the week!

Next GOT to be taught in Kentucky schools as “what happened next” sequel to Bible...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#30 Re: Identity and Conflict.
April 29, 2019, 08:00:27 pm
Drifting slightly, this struck me as worthwhile few minutes viewing.
I miss Mr Burke and the technological optimism of the 80’s:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal