UKBouldering.com

UK election 2017 (Read 133034 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

jfdm

• obsessive maniac

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#377 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 08:13:03 pm
Also, if you have time; I think it's worth reading through the Twitter convo of Steve Hilton. His additional comments defending his position on May, I found more revealing than his original Tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveHiltonx/status/871605682629353473

tomtom

• forum hero
#378 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 08:24:51 pm
Controlling the 'tinternet won't stop extremism - or nutjob cheb-ends making plans - after all, OBL directed shit via hand written scrawled notes etc..

Plus whatsapp/FB messenger etc.. are all (fairly well) encrypted (the cat is out of the bag) and the web is so huge - people could communicate in code via the UKB Shark-Oak thread for example ;) It would make it spicier - but anyway...

But - some sort of www regulation/control would add a layer of complexity for jihadi wannabe fanboi's to get information/get in touch with people/material/videos/instruction manuals etc.. But not a particularly effective layer of complexity.

Still, it would stop my mum accidentally finding the recipe for TATP....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#379 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 08:31:48 pm
I say! This is a bit off!
Not exactly Corbyn's fan boy myself, but surely the Political Editor of the Sunday times should be a little more circumspect than:

There's cant and then there's utter partisan bullshit.
Again, the Big C man might not be my chosen PM candidate, but has he made any arms deals with the people who actually fund real terrorists?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#380 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 09:06:52 pm
I know, I know, enough already etc...

But, I don't delve into Twitter so often; however, today has been hilarious in a rather dark way:

chris j

• forum abuser
#381 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 09:18:37 pm
Again, the Big C man might not be my chosen PM candidate, but has he made any arms deals with the people who actually fund real terrorists?

On the other hand, can anyone find a terrorist group Corby hasn't met members of, laid a wreath to commemorate,  or been an apologist for at some point in his long career?

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#382 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 09:25:57 pm
But - some sort of www regulation/control would add a layer of complexity for jihadi wannabe fanboi's to get information/get in touch with people/material/videos/instruction manuals etc.. But not a particularly effective layer of complexity.

Still, it would stop my mum accidentally finding the recipe for TATP....
Exactly, if you think back to when ISIS first appeared, images that were flashed up on mainstream news every few days were a propaganda coup for the nut jobs. Clips of captives in jump suits being beheaded, jihadi John etc. We no longer see clips like this, the press seems to acknowledge that some kind of censorship is/was needed.

If we look back over the last 5-10 years countless dispatches/panorama programmes have been made regarding Islamic radicalisation and links to Saudi/Pakistan. The money links need to be followed. Money needs to be shut off that supports radicalisation.

It's nothing major just joined up thinking, which seems to be absent.
Terrorism can't be beaten but we can put in place further steps to minimise young people from being brainwashed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:34:05 pm by jfdm »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#383 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:12:48 pm

On the other hand, can anyone find a terrorist group Corby hasn't met members of, laid a wreath to commemorate,  or been an apologist for at some point in his long career?

ISIS?   

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#384 UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:13:45 pm

[emoji848]

The Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea, Black January Army of Justice Friday Army Faction?

BBC doesn't seem so Tory'centric lately:

'Give us more resources,' Met Police Commissioner says
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40156799

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#385 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:18:39 pm
One of the latest lot featured on a C4 doc called Jihadis next door, praying to an IS flag in a London park. Talk about hiding in plain sight. Maybe the Rozzers don't watch C4.  :slap: TM is the most useless yet dangerous Home Sec/PM we've ever had. How people think JC would be worse I can't comprehend.  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#386 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:31:12 pm
One of the latest lot featured on a C4 doc called Jihadis next door, praying to an IS flag in a London park. Talk about hiding in plain sight. Maybe the Rozzers don't watch C4.  :slap: TM is the most useless yet dangerous Home Sec/PM we've ever had. How people think JC would be worse I can't comprehend.  :shrug:

Well, Dianne Abbott (I may have too many ddoouubbllee letters in there sorry) is the shadow home secretary - but I suspect if JC somehow gets in she will not be in that position...

As I think I posted before.. be wary - its the hope that kills you...

I'd (puts on Keegan voice) LOVE it if May loses the Tory majority, but I bet they'll win...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#387 UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:33:16 pm
So... This is real.
I blanked the names myself.
Just screen capped it from Polly's timeline.
Remember, these people can vote.

5 comments before the op pointed out that the bombers were already dead. 5 (five).
Was that "Cheb Ends" TT?

tomtom

• forum hero
#388 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:57:23 pm
Watch this to the end. I don't 'think' it's a spoof...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gt7lWRtfve8

chris j

• forum abuser
#389 Re: UK election 2017
June 05, 2017, 10:58:15 pm

ISIS?

Supporters of should not be prosecuted for expressing their valid political beliefs, I think was one of his from around 2014, with reference to ISIL fighters returning to the UK...

Given the choice between the omnishambles of the tory campaign and JC, I am baffled why smaller parties aren't doing better in the polls (other than that the only media coverage I can recall of anyone outside Labour, Tory or SNP is Tim Farron refusing to say homosexuality isn't a sin...)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#390 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 12:20:12 am

ISIS?

Supporters of should not be prosecuted for expressing their valid political beliefs, I think was one of his from around 2014, with reference to ISIL fighters returning to the UK...

Given the choice between the omnishambles of the tory campaign and JC, I am baffled why smaller parties aren't doing better in the polls (other than that the only media coverage I can recall of anyone outside Labour, Tory or SNP is Tim Farron refusing to say homosexuality isn't a sin...)

I suspect there is a lot of nose holding going on.

tomtom

• forum hero
#391 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 06:59:15 am

ISIS?

I suspect there is a lot of nose holding going on.

TBH, I'm really not fussed whether Tim Farron likes holding his nose or scraping a cheese grater over his cock...

tomtom

• forum hero
#392 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 08:15:28 am
For OMM especially - why Qatar has been blacklisted... Seems they paid a $1bn 'ransom' to Iran/Terrorist groups.
Good work by the FT here: https://www.ft.com/content/dd033082-49e9-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#393 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 08:59:58 am
I'd (puts on Keegan voice) LOVE it if May loses the Tory majority, but I bet they'll win...

Indeed. Sorry to keep banging this drum but the bookies still have Conservative Majority as a sizable odds-on chance (1/5 with 365 when I looked).

I have done some "emotional hedging" on various flavours of massive majorities.

tomtom

• forum hero
#394 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 09:02:40 am
Wasn't noBrexit and Clinton both odds on too? (NoBrexit certainly was)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#395 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 09:07:27 am
There's no chance they will lose. My gut says people vote for those they see as "firm" when they are scared and they are scared right now.
Thanks Tom, not got into the papers today, bit of an overdose yesterday...
Rumour mill continues to grind however, nothing new though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#396 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 09:11:09 am

Yes - Brexit was a big price (9/1 IIRC pre-first ballot result). One of my old colleagues lost 250 quid backing Remain as it was "such a sure thing". Bet he had some explaining to do to the missus.

I actually emotionally hedged Trump at 4/1 for a tenner. Donated the winnings 50/50 to Syrian refugee / woman's rights charities. Made me feel a tiny bit better about the actual result.

If I end up making profits from my UK election bets I'll be sending them to the Working Class Movement Library.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#397 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 10:25:19 am
Interesting theory on the sudden election u-turn:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/anthony-barnet/why-is-she-frit

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#398 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 11:09:03 am

Yes - Brexit was a big price (9/1 IIRC pre-first ballot result). One of my old colleagues lost 250 quid backing Remain as it was "such a sure thing". Bet he had some explaining to do to the missus.

I actually emotionally hedged Trump at 4/1 for a tenner. Donated the winnings 50/50 to Syrian refugee / woman's rights charities. Made me feel a tiny bit better about the actual result.

If I end up making profits from my UK election bets I'll be sending them to the Working Class Movement Library.

Polls are always right, yeah?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-poll-latest-tories-majority-seats-short-labour-votes-yougov-model-conservatives-a7774961.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#399 Re: UK election 2017
June 06, 2017, 11:15:14 am
Can't deny that there is apparent value in betting against Tories (or at least the majority) based on the polls. I think you can back a minority Tory govt at about 5/1 or something which is probably a decent bet.

I just think that based on last election, it looked close but somehow a load of Shy Tories seemed to be out there that weren't accounted for. I think as a rule that polls overly skew towards the lefty/liberal end, and undercount the rightward-leaning options.

I mean, who in their right mind (no pun intended) would want to openly admit they are a Tory?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:26:53 am by tommytwotone »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal