UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 277 1st to 7th June 2015 (Read 11023 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Back in the swing of things after my Australia trip... decided to up the training intensity this week...

M: Logport wall for a lunchtime blast - much better than the previous week. Creaked up some of the harder problems

T: Logpotty wall for another lunchtime power hour or more.. main section was being re-set so all on the 45 degree wall. Lots of jug hauling and my core ached in benefit for it..

W: rest

Th: CragX on the way back from Hull to Manc.. wasn't expecting much - really just wanted to re-acquaint myself with Jericho road.. bottom break was wet ish - but to my surprise managed to do the problem - but started from the sidepull and crimp (stood high on the mats) so close but no cigar! Thanks to the encouragement from Toby (hello!) - despite not really doing the problem was a real "get the final hold with the last bit of energy left" attempt and it felt very gratifying... tried again 20 min later from the start but had lost too much energy...

Fr: Went up to Ousels Nest to vaguely meet RMan and Dawid. Problems there are hard! (good!) steadily gently overhanging wall climbing on positive holds, cracks and edges. Was feeling surprisingly trollied from the day before - and didnt really try hard on anything. Did Alisons wall (I think) and lost lots of skin trying the sit :)

Sa: Rest day (AKA doing something with mrsTT)

Su: Went to Helsby in't woods to potter. Had a really good session - found a new hard traverse to try.. but then turned my attention to the only problem I've not done there - a hard reverse of the 7A+ low traverse. Involves a powerful cross through. Worked the hard move successfully a couple of times - which involved a really interesting (well to me anyway) bit of micro beta. When I was was crossed through, if I jumped my feet up and back down again on the footholds (almost re-setting my body position) I was able to power through the second half. Worked on the beginning moves - and surprised myself by pulling it off... snatched the edge post cross through and just held it - then romped on to the end and top out. Superb. Not sure if I can remember what Andy P graded it as - but it felt a solid 7B to me...

Feel like I'm climbing the best I ever have at the moment. Good feeling :)

cha1n

• forum hero
I've decided to rejoin this after starting and promptly stopping before xmas due to injury.

I'm starting a Randall training program starting from next week with the short term aim of climbing French 8a (but hopefully harder) by my birthday (16th of Aug). I originally wanted to get a Font 8A tick but finger injuries have ruined that one, would have been a different story had it been grit season!

Mon - Rest
Tues - Went to WCJ with Mark20 to try a recently re-bolted route which originally got 7b but in its current state is hard 7c/easy c+ http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=16320 Did all the moves and some okish links but seriously lacking endurance at the moment as I've just ventured back onto routes after a year off from them. Keen to get back and finish it off.
Weds - Rest
Thurs - Assessment at Randall's house, including lattice board endurance tests (with chunks of finger skin missing to prove it). Mainly got told I was a weak punter (including being told that I have shit endurance, even for a boulderer?!) with finger strength figures at the very bottom of the spectrum for someone who boulders 7B, except I've climbed quite a few 7Cs! I can't really complain as I've never done more than a few weeks of fingerboarding over the years and never stuck it. Only vague positive was that I apparently have similar shoulder strength to the 'elite' athletes that he trains. :shrug:
Fri - Rest
Sat - First ever visit to crag x after living in Sheffield for 10 months! Great to finally get there (thanks Seb), even if it looked crap. Started working Zippy's Traverse and got through the crux section quite quickly but got told that the high good crimp is out (seems pointless to exclude this hold as it's not actually eliminate except for that hold). Oh well, worked out a different sequence and did it after a handful of tries after working out a new sequence. Actually climbs really well for crap limestone bouldering. ;)
Sun - Rest/Shopping/Feeling knackered

Not a particularly good week. Have been working away the previous 2 weeks and I never sleep very well away from home and it seems to have caught up on me. Struggling to keep my eyes open during the day, think it's time for an early night tonight!

A bit nervous about starting my training plan next week. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done indoors and I'm primarily an outdoor climber if it's not raining, so it's going to be a bit hard mentally as well as physically. Incidentally, if anyone is doing a similar training routine and needs to do a bunch of boring and repetitive endurance training stuff at the wall then let me know. I'm going to try and do it at a bouldering wall initially but I'm guess that it'd be easier and more relevant to do on a rope.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
a really interesting (well to me anyway) bit of micro beta. When I was was crossed through, if I jumped my feet up and back down again on the footholds (almost re-setting my body position) I was able to power through the second half.

That sort of thing is cool. I was working a 7b+ at the wall the other day that involved a big sideways reach off a gaston to a pocket. I found if I crimped the gaston instead of pinching it, I could get my hips in a bit closer, which meant I was more in control when I hit the pocket at full stretch ... etc.

I suppose the big question for improving at climbing generally is whether one can generalise from a little move-specific trick like that to recognising and being more efficient in similar situations when they come up in other places.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:32:17 pm by Muenchener »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Quite fancy an assessment on the lattice board, not sure I want to hear the results though (inserts head in sand icon), or get one of the programs.

STG strength phase, long list of routes to address
MTG - Autumn crushage

M - rest

T - routes partner bailed so 2 hours bouldering at Tor; tried to do AnCap back home but that lasted 4 moves; 6 sets of Repeaters instead. Battered

w rest

Th - First look at Body Machine proper (had a quick play on the start last year), did some good links. Max hangs, 2 x 6 grips. PB on the 35s.

Fr - Board - hour of limit bouldering; AnCap - 3x4x 50s, 1:40 rest, last set was a struggle, completely powered out afterwards; 3x10 lock-off laps. Good hard session.

S - unexpected last-minute outing in the afternoon, originally headed toward some mediocre limestone but diverted to Lawrencefield. Led Boulevard, just (then fell off Red Wall). First trad since 5th June last year.

S - Board - hour of open-hand, small feet bouldering. AnCap as Friday, only failed final rep, final set but hard to say whether it was down to improved fitness or simply an easier session previously. Another good, pleasing session though.

Fun week. Unfortunately weight has crept up a bit, need to nip that in the bud straight after tonight's chinese

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
STG: be able to walk normally
     (1-3-5 medium rungs)
MTG (2015): 7b redpoint
            Beastmaker 5A routine: 93.0%
            Muscle Up
            Sautanz
LTG (<= 5 years): Big alpine rock routes: Totenkirchl West Face (Dülfer),  Marmolada south face (Vinatzer Messner)

M: Wall, Freimann. Routes 5b 5c 6b 6a+ 6b 6b 7b+ 7b+ (attempts) 6b+ (pumped dnf) 5c. Managed the first ten metres bolt to bolt in two goes on the 7b+, but the finish looked desperate. And one of the 6b's was big roof onsight: successfully working my mental weaknesses. All in all a rather good session.
T: Bike to work 30km
W: rest
T: Sport climbing, Zellerwand. I have a 7a/+ project here that felt ok last time I tried it, and I thought it should go today.  :lol: :lol: :lol: No. Not on south east facing limestone with the temperature around 30. Had a couple of "burns" on it - literally - and gave up. Tried a nearby 6c "friction" slab with similar results  :lol: Then abandoned the comedy tactics and did a few easier routes.
F: Left calf spontaneously self-destructed in the night:'( Barely able to walk.
S: Spent most of the day sleeping, having spent most of the night awake at A&E undergoing tests for Deep Vein Thrombosis (negative yyfy). Leg significantly less painful, possibly because I'm stuffed full of high dose ibuprofen.
S: Wall, Thalkirchen. Half an hour one-footed bouldering to warm up, then campusing

nik at work

• forum hero
STG - Gotham Extension (if it's dry now...) watch loonies on motorbikes
MTG - Trad projects, 8A, Mini Sukarra and get a motorbike
LTG - 9a
BHAG - Bruderliebe

M - nothing
T - nothing
W - Kilnsey, bit of climbing but highlight was meeting up with Rob for good day of talking shite and eating cake.
T - Stoney Bank, the place above Goredale, did Jocasta which was excellent, had a nice day in the sun and ate ice cream.
F - The Tor, Make It Funky is hard and wet. Then went to Stoney West which I enjoyed as a bit of mid/low grade sporting. Again the highlight was not the climbing but meeting up with Andy and having a day of talking shite and eating cake.
S - Birchens, a few solos and a bit of belaying kids. A great day spent with friends in the sun (and wind).
S - travelling home.

So my week in the UK actually didn't end up being a very hardcore event. Firstly the downpour early in the week meant Kilnsey was actually largely wet on Weds, Thurs was just a steady day, Friday MIF was wet (and very hard) and Saturday was family time. The overarching feel of the week was social, meeting up with some good friends and having a laugh, and it was brilliant. Also I was (and still am) in the grips of some prolonged IBS flare up that is deeply unmotivating (oh woe is me, etc etc...). I had a great week aside from that, so no complaints.

The wife has a lot of DIY lined up this week but hopefully a few evenings out will materialise, and some BM sessions. But not tonight, tonight I rest.

webbo

• forum hero
Mon. Bike 62.33 miles 3hrs 34 mins. Managed to cut a chunk out of my thumb preparing dinner.
Tue. Board bit of a shit session partly as a result the hole in my thumb. Got a workout though.
Wed. Bike 61.79 miles 3 hrs 52 mins.
Thu. Bike 1 hour intervals.
Fri. Board managed one of projects and repeated an old problem, then did some laps on things.
Sat. Board worked a project, still can't do one of the moves. Repeated a couple of old problems.
Sun. Bike 80.45 miles 5 hrs 4 mins. A mega battle in the wind.
2 weeks holiday has got my cycling fitness to roughly where I wanted, but eating and drinking shed loads has sort of created another issue.
I'm now a fatter man on a bike.

tomtom

• forum hero

a really interesting (well to me anyway) bit of micro beta. When I was was crossed through, if I jumped my feet up and back down again on the footholds (almost re-setting my body position) I was able to power through the second half.

That sort of thing is cool. I was working a 7b+ at the wall the other day that involved a big sideways reach off a gaston to a pocket. I found if I crimped the gaston instead of pinching it, I could get my hips in a bit closer, which meant I was more in control when I hit the pocket at full stretch ... etc.

I suppose the big question for improving at climbing generally is whether one can generalise from a little move-specific trick like that to recognising and being more efficient in similar situations when they come up in other places.

I think so - it's experience - so you may try something similar on a different problem in the future etc.. I love stuff like this - a tiny change can make something work when before it was desperate..

andy popp

• forum hero
surprised myself by pulling it off... snatched the edge post cross through and just held it - then romped on to the end and top out. Superb. Not sure if I can remember what Andy P graded it as - but it felt a solid 7B to me...

Feel like I'm climbing the best I ever have at the moment. Good feeling :)

A great feeling!

If I graded it at all I think I gave it 7A+, but that would have been guess work mostly. It's called Bodger's Delight.

JackAus

• junky
STG: More V7s. Sub 75kg.
MTG: V8. Fear Factory List. 6!/10 done.
LTG: V11.

M: Rest.
T: St Leonards. New stuff. Flashed nearly everything besides the 3 hardest probs (and one easier prob that I intentionally tried to do with the stupid convoluted sequence that the setter intended... Did it 2nd go.). Got bored and had a good solid fingerboard session
W: Sissy. Usual session. Warm ups up to V4, fell off the last move of a V6 (happens every time. Cruise up to it then very low percentage dyno.) Started working Travis V7. Gonna be a long process I think.
T: Rest. Donated blood.
F: Rest.
S: Wing Cave. Only been here once before and I kinda got spanked (middle of summer). Warmed up campussing a V3, ticking a V2 and a great V5. Then got onto Weak Ape Test Zone V7. I'd done nearly all the moves last time (like 2 years ago) but was there by myself then and with only one pad. Not ideal. Got on it and pretty quickly realised it all came down to the one rh bump from a big pinch to a jug. Came off this move so many times. Got dark and I managed to stick the move by head torch. Ended up doing the prob next go. Felt cruisy too dammit.
S: Fear Factory. Solo mission with rope and no pad. Cleaned up 2 more lines on the List. Back To Funk V3 and 2000 Light Years From Home V5. Did a couple moves on both then got rid of the rope and did Back To Funk first go. Great problem with a broken legs landing. 2000 Light Years scares me though. It's only had 2 ascents in the 15 years its been established. Tiny landing with a death roll down the hill if you come off and its 8m high, insecure arete climbing. Reckon I could do it pretty quick if I kept my head together. Think I have a sequence. Pads and decent spotter would do it.

That makes it 6 down, 4 to go. Getting into the serious territory now... Harder lines and the sketchier landings...
Doing good though. Feeling better on rock. Could still do with more weight loss but I'm not going to the gym atm (not really rest day activity....) and weight is still coming off.

T_B

• forum hero
87Kg :'(

M - Back still bad, but did 4 x 10 mins on, 2 mins off at lunch time.
T - Back felt better. Went to the Tor with Cavey. Never seen it so busy, literally queues to get on Mecca. Didn't warm up properly then bouldered up the start of Rattle and Hump, then reminded myself why I haven't done this - I just can't do the moves from the jug. I think it's a body size thing. Then faffed a bit not being able to do the starting move of Out of my tree (always found this desperate), nor get the split crimp on PUTP. Then we got on Ring of Fire. Worked everything apart from the final couple of moves on the top slab. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but felt the crappest I've been on rock for a very long time.
W - Pulled lower back again getting out of bed, but luckily it sorted itself quickly enough to be able to cycle into work.
T - More rest.. still tired
F - Light Schoolroom session at lunch time, just warmed up really.
S - cragx. Felt decent warming up on the F/board. Got stuck into The Pinch and quickly did the first move, which I've never been able to do. Then did it about 30 times, but failed to get feet in the right place to be able to hold the next move. Felt like it would go next time. Then slapped the sloper a few times on The Thing (albeit not slowly enough to have a chance of holding it). Amazing breezy conditions on cool, dry rock - psyched.
S -

Been really tired all week and feeling like a creaky old man, so rested accordingly. Partly lower back, partly just knackered from last week's Cave action I think. Tuesday was my first really sh*t climbing session in absolutely ages, but strangely still enjoyable (just being on a rope was fun, but standing on your feet pulling on small holds felt desperate). I'm ridiculously heavy and not sure why, perhaps 7 months of bouldering? Never bouldered for so long and not done routes.

iain

• forum abuser
STG: Dominatrix, Body Machine from break
S/MTG: Secret Gudgeon Society when shoulder's up to it, The Prow (maybe full), Stone the Loach and E4/5 lime trad.
MTG: Dolomites in September

M: Works with Ms, felt tired after previous day's session but did a few 4x4 in amongst a shortish circuit.
T: Doorframe aerocap.
W: Supposed to climb at Cheedale but roadsworks and laziness saw us at the Tor. Got back on Body Machine after thread on here and pleased with sequence and how things feel on the route. Next time I get on I'll try a redpoint from the break.
T: Cheedale two tier. Very still, humid and midgy. With friends alternating on Celebration and the start of Minos there was a chance to play on Aberration. Did all the moves despite the conditions and whilst the moves were fun I'm not sure I'm that psyched for the line.
F: Had mean to do a circuit and aerocap but cold sets in, 5th of the year I think!
S: Ill
S: Ill but better.

Frustrating week with yet another cold interrupting things but the 2 days out on rock were good. Aim for more of that this week and fit in 2 aerocap and 1 ancap when I can.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
STG:
Redpoint Sueños de piedra in Sant Llorenç del Munt. I tried this briefly last summer and got to the big rest above the main difficulties when the infamous evening fog came in, rendering climbing all but impossible. Going to a friends 40th birthday party in Barcelona this weekend, so that'll give me a chance to have a rematch.

MTG:
Flashing a few non-vertical white boulderprobs in the gym.
Onsight one 8a or five 7c+'s this year. Preferably both.
Do something fairly challenging in Taghia in September.
LTG: TBD

Mon: rest. Heat wave hits southern France
Tue :  Tried an 8b I'd one hang before. Couldn't put in the clips.
Wed: Rest
Thu: Climbing in 30°C no wind. Hard.
Frid: As above. Soul-crushingly hard to climb.
Sat: First day of a strength training/maintenance program that I designed for me and Mrs Jwi

2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
1. Pullups w/ added weight
2. Pushups w/ weight and feet on chair
3. Swiss ball one leg curl with plate strapped to waist
4. Supermans with plate in hands
5. Hanging rows w/ weight
6. Situps, swiss ball between feet, plate behind head
7. Oblique crunch on swiss ball for me, and side bridge on swiss ball for Mrs

That's all. Can be done fairly quickly, and will not make climbing the day after too hard.

Sun: 35°C in the shade. Went to the gym for bouldering (no air conditioning, no fans). Expected to do very bad. Did very well. Did a steep boulder on the white circuit in a handful of tries after having flashed it from halfway in. Almost did another white that I had previously tried, but never did all the moves on when it was 18°C. Flashed a couple of problems from the second to hardest circuit.

Progression:
Weight: 70-71 kg
8a's onsighted this year: 0/1
7c+'s onsighted this year: 2/5

andy popp

• forum hero
Goals: Harmers project, whatever else I can get on.

M - Have to drive to Aberystwyth. Had hoped to get away early and stop somewhere nice but a sick child means I don't get away till nearly two, by which time the weather has turned. Stop at Pantymwyn for a look as I've never been. Don't take anything down with me as its raining properly but get psyched when I get there. Run back to fetch pad etc.. It's bitterly cold - I get proper hot aches - and most of my pad is getting soaked but manage to scratch my way up Robert Duvall, 7A, in about half an hour. Drive through unbelievably bad weather to Aber, takes forever.
T - examine PhD, drive home - knackered
W - board, warm up and then 3x3 on easy problems. A very light session but it actually feels like a light session this time, which I take as a good sign.
T - back to Pantymwyn to try Firestarter. Is this really only 7A? I get the moves worked pretty quickly but get pretty spanked trying to put it together. Maybe still a bit tired, and its my anti-style, but ... excuses, excuses. Good problem. It is however, a really shit problem to try with only one pad, as two bone crunching falls on to my back from near the start prove.
F - Nothing
S - Nothing
S - am at Harmers by 7.30am to try the project for the first time in a two or three weeks. Make a nice refinement on a move on the top half, taking the move from doable but touch and go to much more reliable. Make a good link. Then I eventually manage the second of two undone moves on the lower half, which feels like a break through. Even better I then I find a way to do the move before that as well. So that's all the moves (except one foot move, which is obvious, I was just tired by then) - it's a goer!! Psyched - but I feel a link is someway off.

A good week with lots of climbing that also felt like it's had a good training effect. Obviously its great to realise the project is possible, but I'm also enjoying getting to some new places now and again.

gme

• forum hero
Mon- yoga
Tues- school. Warm up, boulder 30 mins. 6 x 15 move ancap. rings 45 mins.
Wed- aerocap 45 problems up and down in works no rest.
Thurs- ancap circuits in works. 6 x 15 moves before pain in hands is too much to bare.
Fri- rest
Sat- yoga 45 mins
Sun Steady day bouldering at the Stell. New crag to me 20+ problems 6B-6C.

A better week this week but climbing constantly stopped with skin issues. Doing circuits is just misery. Nice to go climbing somewhere new on sunday and just climb. Not the best crag but fun.
Still eating and drinking too much but not to fussed at the minute. My finger is also still fucked but i seem to be finding stuff i can do to get round it.

petejh

• forum hero
STG: The Oak (by June 13th) or The Brute (in August)
MTG: Onsight attempts on The Hurting, Cathedral, Banana Wall, Anubis (next winter)
LTG: 8c (within three years)
Ultimate goal: undecided

M. Mill. Power Endurance top-up sesh. 4 sets of 2min15secs on / 3 mins off, on a hastily constructed replica of The Oak using the 4 different campus rung sizes with feet on a workbench, barrel and upturned swivel chair. Worked surprisingly well and it felt like I was on the route if I closed my eyes. Finished with 1 set of continuous foot-on laddering on small rungs until forearm failure - 5mins 30 secs.
T.
W. Massage. Well-good.
T. Malham. Oak sesh 8. Two burns - undercut damp so stuffed tissue into back and it worked well enough to get through move. New high point, going for but not holding the 3rd gaston on traverse.
F. Lovely sunny morning on the tops after sleeping in van. Lazing around drinking coffee, reading and listening to music - van life at it's finest. Malham. Oak sesh 9. Two burns - new high point on first burn: held 3rd gaston then in the heat of the moment forgot foot sequence and tried to freestyle through, almost did. Second burn - sent. Totally inspired by the legend next to me beasting Rainshadow.
S.
S. Back up to Malham as I'd pre-arranged with partner before sending. Nice lazy day feeling content. Did some shuffling around, Appetite's good.

A deeply satisfying experience. I attached a lot of meaning to getting back into the game following back surgery 18 months ago. Feels good to go from despair at physical conditon to first 8b. Keenly aware how it could all fall apart tomorrow. Also realised that I'm only 3 weeks into a 6 week period of good form so I'm going to use it for some hardish trad projs on home turf and try to consolodate with some low 8s.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Awesome effort, Pete. Really pleased for you.

kelvin

• forum hero
Nice one Pete!

T_B

• forum hero
Good effort Pete!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
STG - lose weight get strong
LTG - do some cool stuff.

M - Some antagonistics and strengthening using weights and theraband. Could have climbed, but took sensible option after fairly hard climbing session day before so being sensible.
T - Surf. Surprisingly clean waves for windswell, shifty peaks meant a lot of paddling, but got half a dozen or so great rides in about an hour, and one two punishers for taking chances. First time in water since March.
W - ended up working too late, so only got down wall by just after 8 and had a farily hard session until it closed at 10.
T - rested.
F - some theraband and a light fingerboard session to see how elbow reacted. Feels fine! Mowed half the lawn.
S - Swim with kids, mowed other half of lawn.
S - up fairly early to make most of best of the weather and tides, had pretty good session down on coast. Did 7 new problems (well 6 as one was a SS to the Stand?) 3 of which are very good, and one I've been wanting a rematch with for a while. Also earmarked 6 more to do with a bit of platforming  / more pads and spotters.
Great session. Spent afternoon running around after kids in the rain and eating burnt meat. AKA a summer barbeque.

Elbow state 7/10.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Great work Pete!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Good effort Pete.

STG- Finish film without becoming irretrievably crap at climbing.

MTG- 100 routes at 24HHH and The Show Me State in September, Wall of Horrors in October.

LTG- Flash Jade.

M- Rest.

Tu- Pullups and chinups. These are hard now. I can do max 8 of each in a set. God knows what Tom Randall's assessment would make of me.

W- Really sore.

Th- Pleasley Vale. Usual 4-attempt "Power Hour" (it actually takes 80 minutes with about a 50/50 split of climbing and resting) on the long traverse. Did it first and third goes, dabbed once due to sequence mistake (I'm really poor at remembering sequences- it really shows on limestone) on the second go. No chance on the fourth. Getting much better on this- hopefully do 3 or possibly 4 successful laps this Thursday.

F- Rest.

Sa- Black Rocks, getting the very last bits of footage I need. First time in a month! Started the day with half an hour of scrubbing scratched/ charcoal graffiti off the Angels' Share block only to find that there's now huge black spraypaint graffiti on prominent bits of the crag top. Felt like crying  :'(. A fair bit of easy soloing.

Su- Editfest.

Making progress in the little training I'm finding time for. Less than two weeks to go on the film now and while I reached the milestone of "picture lock" in the early hours of this morning  :dance1: I still have lots to do and the added pressure of promoting the premiere. Hopefully still be able to get my Plez on this Thursday.

iain

• forum abuser
Good work Pete !

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
STG: The Oak (by June 13th)  Second burn - sent.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Feels good to go from despair at physical conditon to first 8b.

Brilliant news - well done  :clap2:

11.6-8

M.
T.
W. Eve Went to Tor and bouldered for a couple of hours on Undercut to Crimp and start of Bens Roof. Made some progress on Bens compared to last Saturday having packed a more suitable shoe for toe hooking. Drove on to Ramshaw and met Nick C and Simon C there. We all tried Tierdrop without success. Got to the rail a few times but couldn't commit to dynoing - the last hold is so far away. Disappointing not to do it but on a positive note I couldnt even get to the rail when I tried it 10? years ago T.
T.
F.
S. AM Tor with Nick. Quite cold in wind. Put a rope on Anger Management (8a+). Put in some time on this in the past but dont think I tried this last year. Felt good on the moves. Jugged back up for two more goes at working it. Discovered a more static way to do the crux (basic lockoff on right hand to reach for a layaway with the left). More powerful but less moves and lower % than the on/off way I was trying before (holding an undercut and windmilling with right off a bad foothold to get the aforementioned sidepull as a gaston). Maybe I wasnt strong enough to do it static before.
S. Gardening   

Only two sessions this week. Basically I'm pretty much back up to where I was strength wise. Weight is up and touched 11.8 on friday compared to 11.2 5 weeks ago. Will stick with alternating between trying Anger Management and bouldering at the Tor and home training upping the volume compared to the last 4 weeks probably day on/day off .

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Nice one on the Oak send. Good psyche for the coming week...

STG: finish Still Waters at Cheddar , v close now or any 7b for that matter
MTG: finish Bullworker at Brean Down after falling off top move 3 times in December
LTG: E6, 8a route, surpass previous best of V7/7a+ bouldering

m: nothing
t: did a few routes at New Quarry down at Avon. 2 x 6b+ survived the polish. Then had a go at Bitter and Twisted 7b really full on bouldery routes. Got draws in and worked out moves then had a pretty good blast doing it with a rest. Was knackered so went home.
w: nothing 
t: rest
f: Evening at Cheddar. Finally got back on Still Waters after a quick blast on Dada (7a) as some sort of warm up. Third session on the route but first one with red point attempts. The previous two had been dogs at the end of a day. Had three good attempts getting higher and higher each time. Managed it with one rest falling off doing some foot swap move at the end. Felt like real progress. Such an amazing route. Its banned till later in the year at the end of the month so have 23 days left to get it done! 
s: nothing. ached a lot and tweaky pec + quad
s: drank from lunch till whenever. quad in agony esp when walking down stairs. it will pass, massage painful.

Great progress this week. Managed two sessions outdoors which is a rarity. Feel really good about getting up this route next time I go out, hopefully this coming week.

iain

• forum abuser
Basically I'm pretty much back up to where I was strength wise.
That sounds good, how's the hand healing/feeling?

fried

• forum hero
M - Nothing
Tu - Indoor, hot, ticked off loads of easy stuff as I haven't been in for a while.
W- Nothing
Th - Nothing
F - Should have done a BM session but is was 31° and I couldn't face it.
Sa - Nothing
Su - Early start before it gets too hot. Go to Segognole, to try to finish off a couple of red circuit problems that I should have done last time I was here. Especially this http://bleau.info/segognole/10584.html . I was expecting it to get done fairly quickly, sadly I couldn't hold one of the move, it was hot, my thumb/ wrist still aches, those are my week's excuses. Ticked off another red, then it was too hot. Did the first half of the orange circuit. Bit disappointed after some good recent sessions.

Dolly

• forum hero
Nice one Pete.

I tweaked a finger at Anston do decided to ease off for a few days to give it chance to recover

M Kettlebells at the gym before Pilates
T Foundry lunchtime
W Quick lunchtime run. Hot
T Kettlebells up the garden
F Walked about 10 minutes to Headingley from the car.
S Gym in the morning for Kettlebells and Bulgarian Bag
S

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
Mon: Rest day. Felt tired and down.
Tues: Heavy kettlebell session - 10 sets of (25 swings, 4 turkish getups, 3 shoulder presses per arm, 3 dumbell snatches) - all with a 24 kg kettlebell or a 24 kg dumbbell. Felt beasted afterwards.
Wed: Sneaky lunchtime one arm max hangs hangboard & mobility session. PM bouldering. Got burned off by strong(er) people.
Thurs: Solid hangboard session - sloper max hangs, CWP one arms and repeaters on small BM edges and 35 degree slopers.
Fri: Trail run - felt sinusy.
Sat: Still sinusy. Got up early for a surf but the promised swell hadn't arrived so went home without getting wet. PM hangboard - ne arm max hangs and encores on small BM edges and 35 slopers.
Sun: Bouldering. Fell off last move of my 7C+ project twice before others arrived to try it and my psyche evaporated. Annoying as I felt strong. Next time. Finished off with some one arm max hangs & mobility when I got home.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Basically I'm pretty much back up to where I was strength wise.
That sounds good, how's the hand healing/feeling?

Pretty good thank you. Just have to be careful not to knock or scrape it. Taping my fingers works well.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
A deeply satisfying experience. I attached a lot of meaning to getting back into the game following back surgery 18 months ago. Feels good to go from despair at physical conditon to first 8b. Keenly aware how it could all fall apart tomorrow. Also realised that I'm only 3 weeks into a 6 week period of good form so I'm going to use it for some hardish trad projs on home turf and try to consolodate with some low 8s.

So psyched for you Pete! Inspired!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

LTG- Flash Jade.

Shame you got robbed of the onsight.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
73.5kg

STG:
Lose 2kg.
OS E3.
MTG: E5 by end of September. Get flock of ducks in a row to enable trip to Picos, amongst others, this summer.
LTG: Long hard (for me) rock routes in the Alps, Dolomites, Picos and Scotland. 7b+ RP.

M - Shoulder stability stuff.
T- Westway: Bouldering to ~V3, Routes to 6b.
W - Mini fingerboard session.
T - Westway: 4x4 routes to 6a+. Shoulder stability stuff.
F -
S - Fair Head. Strolled around the top of the crag. 40mph winds and showers. Went for a cream tea.
S - Fair Head.  Windy and chilly. Warmed up, two E1s on The Prow. Tried The Embankment (E2) but ran out of small gear and psyche so bailed into Railroad at 30m. Punter!

Fair Head is predictably amazing: 'Ceuse for trad. climbers' (Connor). I can't believe I've never been before. Getting a feel for the place and the climbing, so probably won't be climbing E3+ on this trip though.

Plan: enjoy Fair Head. Ease back into fingerboarding and harder bouldering on return.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
STG: The Screaming Skull (7b), Flowers for the Dead (7c)
MTG: Diamond Project (August), 7b+ in Ceuse (September)
LTG: 8a

M: Still ill

T: Llanymynech - rushed late session so tried doing Screaming Skull while putting the clips in as a warm up. Conditions were awful and fired off a wet crimp low down. Tried my best to dry the route. 2nd go it started throwing it down and going dark, still managed a good effort and fell off the jugs at the top 2 moves from the chains, so pumped as had been overgripping on wet holds all the way.

W: Rest

T: Llanymynech - Ticked The Screaming Skull first go today while putting the clips in as a warm up, super happy but got mega right arm flash pump from not warming up before hand. Did really recover from it put tried onsighting a 7a anyway, came off going for a non-hold. had another go but was just too pumped.

F: ill again

S: Family camping holiday/ ill

S: Family camping holiday/ ill

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
STG: Crush ze boulderz

Mon. Campus - did a few 147, did 157, almost did 158. Bit on the 40 degree board.
Tues. 40 degree board.
Wed. Left arm feeling destroyed, tried to train but gave up after 20 mins. Did all the slabs problems instead. Took this as a sign to lay off for a few days, I have done a decent 4-5 weeks doing a lot of strength/power so this was probably due.
Thur. Rest
Fri. Rest
Sat. Rest
Sun. Rest

Back on it this week, hopefully get out at the weekend too. STILL ABSOLUTELY PSYCHED OUT OF MY TINY MIND. Moony and Ondra have only added to this.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Why what have Moony and Ondra done? I've not heard

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

S: Wing Cave. Only been here once before and I kinda got spanked (middle of summer). Warmed up campussing a V3, ticking a V2 and a great V5. Then got onto Weak Ape Test Zone V7. I'd done nearly all the moves last time (like 2 years ago) but was there by myself then and with only one pad. Not ideal. Got on it and pretty quickly realised it all came down to the one rh bump from a big pinch to a jug. Came off this move so many times. Got dark and I managed to stick the move by head torch. Ended up doing the prob next go. Felt cruisy too dammit.

Love that crag! Do you know if anyone has repeated my V10/11 prob from 2003 it's right of Groove Terminator - called Sheffield Steal?

JackAus

• junky
Love that crag! Do you know if anyone has repeated my V10/11 prob from 2003 it's right of Groove Terminator - called Sheffield Steal?

I don't think its ever been repeated!
Still only gets V10 and always spelled Sheffield Steel. Is it supposed to be Steal?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
TBH I thought it was harder than Groove Terminator which got V11 but didn't think it would get 8A in the UK so gave it V10 instead. These days if I climbed a prob abroad I'd grade it in line with the rest of the crag rather than the other side of the world. Might have got a repeat if it wasn't a sandbag.  :-\
Yeah it was supposed to be Steal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal