UKBouldering.com

To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint (Read 16022 times)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#50 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 10, 2013, 09:48:27 am
I've heard plenty of people say they weren't pumped on a route but just didn't have anything left to make an easy move all of a sudden, but I've never thought to much into it until now.
When this happens to me, I tend to associate it with being inadequately warmed up. Perhaps you need to add one more warmup at a higher grade before getting on the project?

I always get that "I might do too much of a warm up and feel tired on my project" feeling. But I should try a longer warm up for sure.

I also get about 2 good redpoints then it's all down hill from there. I read somewhere that If your first redpoint is the best and the subsequent ones are worse then it's a lack of endurance.

My other dilemma as of late is whether to train strength or power endurance.

I know people that have got up harder climbs through being strong at bouldering and have not done a lot of sport climbing. I'm presuming due to the moves being less taxing thus not getting as pumped because the climbing is not making them cross their anaerobic threshold at all/as quick.

Makes me want to just go bouldering loads and come back stronger and see what happens. But then I read a lot about PE training and the benefits etc... I guess doing both would be the best idea...

It's difficult to decide on what to do when people around you get by purely on strength rather than specific PE training. Like what biscuit said above, burning out because the moves are hard, if I got stronger surely this wouldn't happen...

Decisions decisions decisions...

Doylo

• forum hero
#51 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 10, 2013, 10:27:05 am
Simple- train both!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#52 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 10, 2013, 10:37:08 am
Simple- train both!

I fell off throwing for the top of the crag on Black Wednesday yesterday evening pumped out of my mind pal... haha. I litrally can't rest anywhere on that route!

I figured training both would be best.

So I've been thinking... I sport climb 3 times a week. So I'm pretty much getting pumped 3 times a week. I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense to then do extra PE training on top of that? I could probably fit in 2 strength/power sessions.

That's 5 training days a week though...

Doylo

• forum hero
#53 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 10, 2013, 10:40:44 am
Comes at you at the end doesn't it!

biscuit

• menacing presence
#54 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 11, 2013, 09:58:56 pm
Think of the progress you could make if you could get an extra 2 decent redpoints in a session.

Only having a couple of burns on a project is not many - is that in a full day though or an evening session ?

You do a lot of climbing in a week though already and that's always the best way.

Trying to identify what's holding you back is often v hard. Get someone else, who knows how you climb, to give you an idea or 2.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#55 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 15, 2013, 09:03:46 am
Think of the progress you could make if you could get an extra 2 decent redpoints in a session.

Only having a couple of burns on a project is not many - is that in a full day though or an evening session ?

You do a lot of climbing in a week though already and that's always the best way.

Trying to identify what's holding you back is often v hard. Get someone else, who knows how you climb, to give you an idea or 2.

In an evening session I get about 2 good blasts at a project. It does seem to be Power Endurance that's holding me back at the moment but then it's back to my dilemma about thinking that getting stronger surely would just make this less of a problem.

I'll just continue to pick away at both and stop stressing over training!

andy popp

• forum hero
#56 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 15, 2013, 09:17:26 am
I'd have thought IPJF was more the toward the P end of the PE continuum. It can't be more than about ten hand moves to the base of the crack (where it should be over really). Being stronger isn't going to hurt.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#57 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 15, 2013, 10:41:10 am
I'd have thought IPJF was more the toward the P end of the PE continuum. It can't be more than about ten hand moves to the base of the crack (where it should be over really). Being stronger isn't going to hurt.

Yeah, It is roughly 10 hand movements, I get really zapped of power right off the first crux through the overlap at the start.

I think choosing a steep (compared to what i'm used to), powerful, bouldery route wasn't the easiest way to get myself to the next grade, seems  as i'm used to technical routes. But atleast it sure as hell will be good when it's done!

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#58 Re: To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint
July 15, 2013, 12:50:58 pm
2 good burns in an evening session a short bouldery route like I punched Judy seems reasonable to me. Personally I tend to have about 3 decent redpoints in a whole day/session but time of an evening limits me to about 2 on something at my limit.

As said earlier it would certainly be more at the power/strength end of things IPJF rather than the endurance end. So being a bit more boulder strong would probably get you up it.

I generally find most of the routes at Dinbren very bouldery for their respective grades.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal