UKBouldering.com

Two months endurance training (Read 15087 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#50 Re: Two months endurance training
March 21, 2013, 05:27:41 pm
The shortest you can get away with is more about the length of the problems on my board, rather than hoping to develop the stamina for overhanging 60 metre routes by doing 2 move problems.
The straight up problems are 4 hand moves to the finishing hold 5 to match it.

Can you contrive a circuit on it ?

webbo

• forum hero
#51 Re: Two months endurance training
March 21, 2013, 08:43:45 pm
I can do circuits on it, its about 10ft high by 12ft wide 40 degrees. I thought 4 x 4 was the modern way of doing things.
I currently have a 22 hand move circuit on it, I need some better holds to aid the down climbs and more matting to do any thing longer.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#52 Re: Two months endurance training
April 02, 2013, 12:07:17 pm
I've just come back from my El Chorro trip following about 6 weeks endurance-focus 'training'. If anyone's interested, this is how it went for me.

Each week I generally achieved one routes session doing double laps on routes, up to my onsight level. I would have done 4x4s but didn't feel achievable in overcrowded Westway on Tuesdays/Thursdays. I supplemented this with one 'boulder PE' session, where I either did 4xs on boulders (also hard at crowded wall) or boulder circuits up to about 50 moves. I never felt I got the balance right on these - was either going at boulders too hard and falling off half-way in my circuit or too easy and not feeling super-pumped. I also kept one boulder session a week going as I didn't want to lose the strength gains I'd made over the autumn/winter. I think this was successful.

I found that as the weeks went on I was feeling drained and less sharp. Had a lot of work on and probably never got 8 hours sleep on any worknight in the last month of training. As I was feeling tired a lot of the time I decided not to add any other training sessions, eg. fingerboard training sessions (I was also carrying finger injuries into the training cycle). The last 2 weeks of training I felt I achieved about 3 good sessions out of 6. My last routes endurance session I achieved my top performance grade/difficulty wise, but my overall volume had dropped. My last training session was a good hard outdoor bouldering session where I was pleased with my performance (one grade below PB). I then had a week where I just stretched and did antagonist exercises. This was good as I was aching all week from the boulder session on Sunday.

In El Chorro I felt quite fit (but not fit enough for the 30m routes), and strong enough to pull on most of the moves I tried. What I struggled with was mind - hadn't done routes outside for four months or more and was finding it difficult to deal with runouts. Also was finding it hard route-reading and using my feet well. Too much plastic pulling! In the first days of the holiday I just didn't perform up to my expectations or my usual standard. On the second last day I had a day of easy volume which I really enjoyed. On the last day I matched my personal best redpoint of F7b (though this one was almost certainly 7a+). Ultimately, I was pleased with how I was climbing by the last day of the trip. If I'd had another week I might have actually started climbing well!

What I'd do differently for another trip: more falling practice before going. More easy volume in the first few days of holiday to get my head in gear and my route-reading working better. More sleep in run up to holiday to recover from training. Rehab injuries effectively and not just add training volume and hope. Do boulder circuits more than 4x4s. Train at less busy times where possible and do routes up-down-up. This sort of pump replicates the feeling I get on outdoor routes more than doing a route twice.

My plan now is to focus on rehab for my injuries but try to keep climbing indoors and out on easier stuff so I don't completely lose my gains.

Hope this long rambling post helps others in their endurance training plans in the future. 

thrashhard

• player
#53 Re: Two months endurance training
April 02, 2013, 04:39:38 pm
Gratulations.

But i have 2 questions.

1. Do you really feel you need to climb a route up-down-up or at least twice to get as pumped or exhausted as on 30m outdoor routes?
i´m living in an area where 35m routes are somehow "the standard" and i´m pretty used to that lenght but on 17m gym routes i get way more pumped due to the lack of really good rests.

2. is there not one sunny crag where you can climb outdoors in the winter to train real rock climbing? would be a lot easier to climb in el chorro if you would have spent at least 2 sunny days a month on real rock i´d guess.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#54 Re: Two months endurance training
April 02, 2013, 05:05:57 pm

2. is there not one sunny crag where you can climb outdoors in the winter to train real rock climbing? would be a lot easier to climb in el chorro if you would have spent at least 2 sunny days a month on real rock i´d guess.

Would it be a fair guess that you don't live in the UK thrashhard?

thrashhard

• player
#55 Re: Two months endurance training
April 02, 2013, 06:09:22 pm

Would it be a fair guess that you don't live in the UK thrashhard?

Good guess.
Austria

2 Tru

• regular
#56 Re: Two months endurance training
April 04, 2013, 10:50:40 am
Found that really helpful Rocksteady.

As a consequence of this thread I started my own endurance training before a planned trip to Kalymnos. Sadly I broke my collarbone mountain biking 3 weeks before the trip thats why I'm writing on forums now instead of crushing tuffas.

I definitely found from past trips that it takes a few days to get you head in gear sometimes even if you have been climbing outside as the rock type and route style is often very different from what you are used to. Best to learn these differences on easier routes to protect your ego and then gradually ramp up as the week goes on.

Off topic but anyone got any advice on exercises I can do to slowly prepare my body to climb again? 5 weeks in and I'm going spare.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal