UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2013 (Read 84714 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#200 Re: Aims for 2013
November 11, 2013, 01:34:16 pm
I don't have many specific aims apart from a new route on the Orme (should go if there's enough dry weather).

Done. Good idea to only have one aim- more achievable!

chris j

• forum abuser
#201 Re: Aims for 2013
December 01, 2013, 06:28:59 pm
Offshore for the rest of the year now so I may as well post up...

Rethink after epic failures on all of 2012's goals...

2013:

1. Recover from current injuries (dodgy neck, torn pulley). In progress but slow going. Belay glasses massively helped my neck
2. Not get any more injuries. Strained a back muscle for 2 weeks in the summer but otherwise good!
3. Trad - do some. I live in Devon and have easy access to Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset etc, how hard can this be? Go to Pembroke & Swanage. Managed a couple of weekends in Cornwall so technically success but more would be good. Complete fail on the Pembroke and Swanage fronts
4. Sport - Stop repeating Thread Flintstone ad infinitum & do at least a couple of 7s that are new to me. Only did one this year and that was softer than a soft thing that's been squashed by Mr Softy. Yes, but in retrospect not a demanding goal... 4 new 7a's and b's, 2 at Brean, 1 at Ansteys, 1 at Torbryan. 3 were 1st or 2nd redpoint and the 7b was 2nd session.
5. DWS - do more than the one afternoon we did this year. Complete fail, not sure I've even dipped a toe in the sea this year!
6. make use of CC membership & use the huts.No. Fail again. But to my complete surprise the missus came camping more than once and claimed to enjoy herself!
7. Take more photos. Yes, impulse buy of a half-decent zoom lens has massively improved climbing photos and a better case means I actually carry the camera once in a while which unsurprisingly means more photos...
8. 1.5 BW deadlift (without putting my back out again). So ~112kg. At which point I can justify some grown up olympic weights... Managed just before I came offshore. Loss of a couple of kilos of bodyweight helped as target weight became 110kg. More to come I hope.

No specific route goals as that invariably means I won't even get on them but vague aspirations locally: Call to Arms, the Lynch, Threadbare, Rainbow Bridge, White Rhino Tea, White Life. Writing wish lists down still means I don't do them! Made it to the last clip on Threadbare (LH start) and linked the Lynch in 2 sections otherwise haven't even looked at any of the others this year...

I think 1 to 3 will carry over to next year, 4 I need to up a bit next year and do at least one 7b+ and a 7 in my anti-style so a long vertical stamina-fest at Portland, 6 I'll carry over and change to just more weekends away and 8 I'm not sure on a target, a steady increase without putting my back out, will try and put a number to it another time.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#202 Re: Aims for 2013
December 02, 2013, 12:03:20 pm
Nothing much more likely to happen, and I'm sitting around at home with man flu, so:

1. Wales: organise successful München DAV Wales Trip. Yes. Climb E2 (Strand / Left Wall / Daisy / Dervish) No. It was probably never realistic to leap straight back into trad climbing after more than ten years away and immediately climb above my previous standard. Also learned that organising a climbing group in a (for them) foreign country takes a lot of time and energy and isn't really compatible with single-minded pursuit of one's own climbing goals. Big mental build-up for not much result. Disappointed.

2. Frankenjura: as regularly as possible. Appalling spring weather meant a late start to the season, but got some good trips in early summer. Autumn was a complete cock-up for various reasons related to family and climbing partners, hardly got out at all despite some excellent weather (right now for example). Must do better in the spring.

3. Dolomites: two or more big alpine rock routes. Went to Ailefroide instead and only succeeded on one big multipitch, Snoopy Direct. Class route though and was much impressed with the Ecrins area generally. Would definitely go again, and have already heard some mates are planning to go to La Berarde next summer.

All in all a rather mixed year. A couple of trips away to beautiful places with good people - which, however, were very modestly successful in terms of ticks ticked.

I reached my best sport climbing grade ever, but only by carefully cherry picking projects that suit my strengths: bouldery/technical/fingery. I have a huge confidence and grade deficit on things that don't suit me: thuggy/pumpy/endurance. Something to work on over the winter then.

csl

• junky
#203 Re: Aims for 2013
December 21, 2013, 07:45:24 pm
That time of year again...

Re-establish regular climbing and training - move somewhere/ meet people that makes this possible.

Gone the wrong direction and ended up in London, getting a job took precedent over climbing this year. However, am training regularly, and do enjoy indoor climbing so not all bad. Just need to get outside a little more in the new year. 

Sport

Climb more 7c sport routes, and a 7c+. Climbed one more 7c this year. Came fairly close to doing another (Dominatrix) and very very nearly climbed Privilege du Serpent.
Go to Ceuse - Finish off Vagabond. Try Les Collonetes and Priviledge du Serpent.Ceuse was sick, did vagabond and came really close to Privilege

Beat last years '7's' - 18 13/18 - But spending 10 months of the year nowhere near rock didnt help.

Trad

Get back up to E4 onsights again.
Done. Only one this year but did it after not climbing for a month so confident I could have done more.
Wall of the Worlds/ any other cool looking E5.
Not done - didnt try any E5's

Beat last years E-points - 78 Nowhere near. 22 E-points in 8 days trad climbing, did some great routes though. Great Wall and Zeppelin in particular.

Climb Freeborn Man
not done - hopefully will do this now I'm closer to Swanage.

Sub 18minute 5k Done

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#204 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 02:13:31 pm
Right this year I'm going to get my shit together.

1 - Carried forward from 2012 - the sea arch traverse. If the planets align and we get a decent dry spell it will go.
fail - was out of country in decent weather
2 - get sorted with new house
Yup, kind of got in the way of everything else.
3 - get woody up in new house
fail hopefully in next month
4 - get bouldering fitness back on above mentioned woody
partial - got some back, but at wall and on BM
5 - get to wall once a weekish and get on some routes
partial - been down the wall a fair bit, but mostly bouldering and a few routes.
6 - NYD I tipped the scales at 14 st 1.5, my heaviest yet. Aim to be back down to 13 st by the time clocks change.
fail - closest I got was 13st 10
7 - maybe take on a proper redpoint project for the first time since 2005. If 2 above pans out maybe get on this
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=198382 as it will be on the doorstep.
Fail - didn't do a route outside
8 - get on some of the 30 or so FAs I have earmarked for development
Partial - did some, still a load to do
9 - get on some traddy stuff - esp potential new local crag and some west coast spots esp Ardnamurchan
Fail - not one route
108 - yoga at least once every 2 weeks, preferrably weekly.
fail - not been once
10 - surf more. Maybe get an inflatable SUP to cruise around coast (subject to 2 as well)
partial - been in a few times, no SUP though
11 - ski / board more
all relative to previous year, but had some good days in Scotland
12 - sort out shit at work either by fight or flight
hmmmmmmmm
13 - Maybe do Passportes if UKB massive are out again. I will definitely be in Les Gets at that time.
Fail - had some good MTB when out there, but not there at Passportes
14 - Get decent desktop and get better at photo and video editing
Fail at present, but Xmas is only 2 days away.......

a few more than the 2 last year!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#205 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 02:56:24 pm
1. Finish my Red Wall Link Up Project  Only been on rock twice.
2. Boulder 7c. It'd be nice to do a 7C that doesn't instantly get downgraded too.  Ditto.
3. Reacquaint myself with Silverdale after a year of not visiting.  Ditto.
4. Build a woody, and more crucially, use it  Built and used a few times- I'll get on it more after Christmas.
5. Tick two problems from the last few years Aims For lists  Not been out.
6. Run another marathon or two  Did Manchester, and the Rivington Ultra Trail.  Doing two more UltraTrail 26s next year.
7. Go to Font  Tick. Nothing hard but had fun.
8. Do at least twenty new Wainwrights  Never got past 12!
9. 7b in Font. No chance.
10. Read ten more books from the BBC Big Read top 100  Working my way through Bleak House still.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#206 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 03:09:47 pm
Trad
Solid E2 - not solid but did one or two in canada depending on which grade comparison you check
Some E3 - Seconded some clean in Canada
Sport
Lead 7b - Jam Session at bruixes
solid 6c onsight - all have been second go so pretty close but not really sports climbed since early june
Bouldering
7A - no chance with out a miracle

Specific stuff:
Top out the cheif - Tick Banana peel>granville street>Squamish buttress>butt lite link
The grand Wall - Squamish by best possible style - Was not ready so did not try I did feel better when I heard of tom and petes epic :)
Pebble Wall - Fail dont think I have been on it this year other than pullling on twice poor show really with the amount of time I have spent at almscliff
Flying arête - Ticked Finally
Crucific traverse and low - not really put any effort into this
Climb at gogarth - fail
So to end my year far too much red .. Oh well off to font on friday

galpinos

• forum hero
#207 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 03:13:10 pm
The arrival of my daughter in April affected my climbing and running more than I had anticipated.....

Climbing:

Font 7c - Nothing harder than 7a+
30 new 7s (new to me, not new problems) - Managed 10 before mini-galpinos arrived
Tick the problems on The List - Nope
E5 (Optimistic)- Nope
7c (Doubtful)- Nope
Orion Face Direct- Nope

Running:

Sub 19 5k- Nope. Didn't even run a 5K
Sub 40 10k- Nope. Managed a 48 off the couch not long after the arrival.
Sub 90 half- Nope. Managed a 98 on the back of 4 weeks training so not the end of the world. My wife said I was very satisfying to support as I looked like death

Party Trick:

One arm pull-up (both arms)- Ha ha, not a chance

Despite it looking a total failure:
1. Was going really well pre-daughter and think I can get back to this level reasonably easily. Just need to push on.
2. Ticked 2 new 7as and 2 new 7a+s the day before my wife went in for the induction. Best performing day for me ever.
3. Managed a 7th place finish (in Class) at the Saunders MM off the back of not a lot of training so bodes well for this year's events.
4. Have put up a fingerboard and am actually using it. Just need to not be a fat knacker. (Easier said than done....)
5. The missus has been back in the 1st XI at hockey since the start of the season and been man of the match 3 times so my giving up Saturday's climbing has not been in vain!

galpinos

• forum hero
#208 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 03:17:18 pm
Is that officially "getting your shit together" Chris?  ;)

maybe_si

• player
#209 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 03:44:03 pm

Redpoint 8a..... lets see what happens!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#210 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 09:06:30 pm
Is that officially "getting your shit together" Chris?  ;)

Umm, not quite. House is a bit more of a "project" than we anticipated, so a lot out of window!

String of niggling injuries too. What a drag it is getting old.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#211 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 09:14:27 pm
Not read the thread.. Should of... But as in times gone by  I hit the ablility to climb 7a outside.. Just gets me able to keep on posting here with a modicum of respect....

Can hit 20ft gap jumps on my bike.. Can launch 15 strep ups and step downs.. Not got hospitalised, that's a result.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#212 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 09:25:06 pm
Should of

oh what's the point

it is Christmas after all

more to the point - this impressed me

Can hit 20ft gap jumps on my bike.. Can launch 15 strep ups and step downs.. Not got hospitalised, that's a result.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#213 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 09:54:54 pm
8a - woulda, shoulda, coulda got Call of Nature if weather and partners hadn't been so fickle this year. Be looking to get it done early and move on to Chimes, Powerplant, Roof Warrior, Raindogs, Statement depending what dries and how many away-days I can wangle.

more E4s, ultimately Flaky Wall & Resurrection

Another 7C, stop just talking about it and give Brad Pit a good go. Revisit Tetris

try to be strong and fit (relatively) rather than just one or the other
couple (or more) of Wales trips
boulder somewhere in Yorkshire other than the cliff (I know, I know, strike me down)

clear the garage and build my board at last

A year plagued by tweeks and niggles, peaked on Jan 10th with Left Hand Man and went steadily downhill from there.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#214 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 10:02:40 pm
If you need to a partner to complete those trad aims this summer let me know

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#215 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 10:13:07 pm
Bouldering

5 x new Font 7as
Done: Dirty Bitch, Ripper - both Baslow, Perrin's Crack SDS - Ysgo, Laser - Rampart, Body Rocker - Ilkley (appreciate there are a few *ahem* "tourist ticks" in there!)
Font 7b
Nope, thought I'd done one with Ripper but turned out it was only 7a+ with the finish I did
Top 10 finish in one of the Leeds indoor bouldering leagues
Done - Boulder Leeds 2012/13 9th place!

Other

2 x gym sessions a week chucking kettlebells around
Done...ish, been pretty good but a month in Sydney on business killed my routine!
3 x meditation sessions a week
Nope. Need to carry that one forward.
Do at least one 16kg Turkish Get Up, both sides
Done quite early in the year, then repeated recently after long layoff on them.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:26:24 pm by tommytwotone »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#216 Re: Aims for 2013
December 23, 2013, 10:20:41 pm
What a drag it is getting old.

Thanks Mick

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#217 Re: Aims for 2013
December 24, 2013, 12:04:42 am
1. The project. Facilitated by the means stated below (to be religiously adhered to)

i) A training plan that incorporates running to stay lean
ii) Continue to eat as healthy and disciplined as I have done for the past month and a half.
iii) Stretch three times a week.

2. Make the most of my time until August in Leeds to exploit prime grit days and tick some classics.

3. Continue to tick through the classic novel collection on the shelf.

3.Work out what I'm going to do with respect to Part II of education. Something might have to give (to be written about).

4. The year we finally get the greyhound.

5. PASS THAT BASTARD DRIVING TEST AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! / Don't be a pussy.

6. Trip to the US with m'lady and get some classic Yosemite bouldering ticks.

Bests to all.

1. FAIL - Living in Leeds hasn't helped but home now. Can't wait to get back on it.

2. TICK - Hard to quantify but did have some ace snow days out on grit with a handful of ticks. Great scene in Yarrrks.

3. TICK - Worked this out very quickly and had probably worked it out before writing this. Offered £12,000 p.a for a job in practice was the nail in the coffin and I'm eternally glad that I set out on my own business quest.

4. FAIL - Not practical since each of us having to move back to our respective homes. Sick of spunking cash on rent and setting up in business means I'm rarely in one place at one time anyway. Soon little doggy. Soon.

5. FAIL - Sitting test Jan/Feb 2014 and chomping at the bit to pass now. Totally marooned without car access.

6. TICK - Was treated to a surprise 6 day NYC pre Christmas trip where best mate from first degree lives. A lifelong desire ticked and had the best week imaginable. Never got the Central Park bouldering tick but being -4 with an icy death wind didn't exactly have me rushing to get my shoes on.

It's been a year of uber hard work in setting up in business. It's been probably the biggest year of my life in this respect in terms of commitment needed and progress made. I feel in a great place mentally and not too shoddy physically. Ever improving and ever content.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#218 Re: Aims for 2013
December 24, 2013, 08:01:26 am
Train really hard all year with minimal injury
Worst injury was an insect bite to the finger in Ceuse, despite training pretty hard in London over the winter, then climbing loads from Leeds and in the south of France.

Lou Ferrino
Only had one session on it, which was mainly spent reworking the sequence. Made the drive to North Wales a few times but realised that I'd much rather go to Twll Mwr instead.

Enchantress
YESSSSSSSSS! And Magician, very unexpectedly (as I can't span between the holds on the original sequence and had work out a sequence using the back of my neck). I seem to be best at a style of bouldering that very nearly doesn't exist, i.e. overhanging quarried slate. It would be so much more convenient if I could climb on grit!

Start sitting on my arse in Parisella's and climb out (i.e. The Wire or Greenheart) (optimistic)
See above. Now I live closer to rock, I'm going to try and keep hard linkup projects to local crags.

Sport 8a+/b
climbed out of a cave in Boffi at 8a+ (Big Bug).

Infinite Gravity
Only got down to Swanage twice, first time the route was totally soaked, second time, 30 foot waves made the approach a bit too dangerous :o Bit gutted as I reckon I'd have had a really good chance on this at the peak of my Euro fitness, but at least it means I still have a reason to get on the best route in the country!

Climb more on slate
Did a lot at Forest Rock, and had some sessions on the Quarryman. Wish there was some slate closer to Bristol!.

Don't go big walling
Major success on this. Closest I came was a 500m bolted 6a slab in the Ariege.  Feel like I've improved quite a lot physically from clipping bolts all year and now I want to try something big again to put it to good use!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#219 Re: Aims for 2013
December 24, 2013, 08:53:21 am
What a drag it is getting old.

Thanks Mick

I've done Mother's Little Helper. Hard for the tall! Nibs pissed it.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#220 Re: Aims for 2013
December 25, 2013, 01:17:25 am

1. Finish off Zoo York - only had 1 session on it then got a strained pulley on my LH ring finger
2. Try Jason's Roof - Ticked in a session YYFY
3. Do more Bloc 8A's - Exorcist and Freehang SS

4. Try some 8A+'s - Not really apart from some of the harder links in the cave.
5. Get Stronger fingers!! - Check
6. Attempt some sport climbing - Did Harry tuttle at the G-spot (Fnarr)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#221 Re: Aims for 2013
December 26, 2013, 12:02:33 am
1. complete my 12 week training plan without getting horribly injured or slacking off. tick! Went well, felt strong after, grew some arms for the first time
2. Climb Louis Armstrong. FAIL - But managed 2 recent sessions pissing it in 2 halves several times. Need to keep trying it now. Good progress at least.
3. Climb Red Baron at Shipley. (Standup) FAIL - didn't go back
4. Double body weight deadlift. FAIL - Got up to 135kg weighing 70 but felt too sketchy for my back so had to back off. Could maybe do it with a longer build up and some coaching

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#222 Re: Aims for 2013
December 26, 2013, 03:22:58 pm
Stop eating loads of shit.

Try to do some more sport routes.

Do the Ace!   :wall:

I'm sat at the in laws writing this post and I can't move off the sofa because I've just polished off a load of Quality Streets and sausage rolls, I haven't done the Ace, fuck it.

I did go to France to do some Sport and Multi pitch, Ceuse, Verdon, St Leger, which was nice.

petejh

• forum hero
#223 Re: Aims for 2013
December 26, 2013, 04:04:43 pm
Targets for 2013
immediate:
Climb my mixed proj on Clogwyn Du. Tick! Lateo, very proud of this.
As many new mixed routes in N.Wales as conditions, ability and time allow. Tick! 6 other new routes, 4 of which are brilliant.
Onsight Cracking Up. Didn't try it.
Climb Anubis. Didn't leave Wales.
Finish the N.Wales lime guidebook and app. Fail, but almost there now!
Keep on developing sick dry-tooling routes in the Crafnant mines and quarries. Tick! The Burner is amazing!
Fit some bouldering in when I can. if winter conditions turn out to be rubbish put effort into a good font 8a. 2 days bouldering all year?

by mid-year:
Sport trip anywhere, ideally new routing Taghia
First F8b
Keep tradding the multitude of classics in N.Wales and try to fit in some trips
My E7/8 proj

by late-year:
Onsight E7
Headpoint an E9 that has protection and hard climbing

Or, move to Canada in Summer never to return.

Everything else = epic fail, severely fucked back leading to surgery in September and no climbing between May - November except 5 days pre-op in August.

On the mend, rehabbing and hungry!

cha1n

• forum hero
#224 Re: Aims for 2013
December 26, 2013, 04:45:08 pm
Well I've never publicly announced my goals before but it will be interesting which goals (if any) I manage to complete by this time next year!

1. CREATE A TRAINING PLAN! FAIL
2. Start an antagonistic exercise routine and complete 3-4 times a week. FAIL
3. After 2 weeks of antagonistics, start addressing poor core/finger strength (pinches/half-crimp first), use training board more often. FAIL
4. Improve Diet, initially snacks and then... everything. Partial pass
5. Climb majority of F7's / 8a's in Cheddar/Wye area (Starting with Academic and Wrist Business whilst bouldering strength is decent). Mainly a fail but I had a good excuse and I managed to climb Wrist Business early in the year
6. Boulder some 7C's, most likely in the Bradford area as I have to do a compulsory 2-3 day trip up to Bradford every month (for Degree). Any recommendations welcome! Tetris on Grit and Rock Atrocity on Limestone. There is a 7C+ 10 minutes drive from work so give that a try long term. Climbed a handful of 7C's but none of the ones listed here due to being on a Euro roadtrip

Oh yeh, finish my bloody degree, decide if I want to stick at teaching or not (holidays - good, being very organised - annoying). FAIL but I've re-enrolled for January

Ended up postponing Uni, quitting my job and going on a Euro roadtrip so many of the goals above were impossible to meet. I'm pleased to have climbed some 7C's on the trip so far and although I have an injury I hope to climb some more on this trip, maybe even something harder by the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal