UKBouldering.com

issue: Downgrade the Peak/Cash for Grades (Read 135427 times)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie

Captain Hook - easy 7b+

That's 3 votes for it going up then.

If that's the case then Bentley's would have to go up too. It's a comfortable grade harder than CH.

Dolly

• forum hero
Can we keep some of our sandbags PLEASE?

Pwerhumps isn't 7c.
Agree - its easier than PB

cofe

• forum hero
Powerhumps will be staying at 7b+ for hard way.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero

I've done plenty of easier 7a's in Font.

really? do share.

chasseur du prises
lapin ou canard
action direct
graviton
egoiste
deltaroc
bizarre bizarre

...to name a few. didn't mean to sound like a dick in my post, my point was that not everything in Font is nails either.

Cobblers Cofe.  All of the above are way harder than MRLH.  Which is why I don't get into grading arguments, you're all wrong.  People seem to forget that there are grades under 7   :whistle:

Of those mentioned earlier:

Marks Roof LH 6c
Soft on the G 7a
Thuggy Bear (cos I did it last weekend) 6b with block, 6c without.
Strawberries - 5
Green Traverse 6c - it can't be 7a, the Shark's done it!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Captain Hook - easy 7b+

That's 3 votes for it going up then.

If that's the case then Bentley's would have to go up too. It's a comfortable grade harder than CH.

and isn't it easier than zippy's  :shrug:

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Captain Hook or Bentley's?

Captain Hook is easier than Zippy's, Bentley's is harder.

Dolly

• forum hero
Surely CH is harder than Zippy's ?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Thuggy Bear (cos I did it last weekend) 6b with block, 6c without.

There is no block on Thuggy Bear.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Look what you've created cofe

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
thuggy Bear - There's a big block to put your foot on.  Otherwise known as the floor, really.

Captain Hook is harder than Zippy's

I think Sloper should be allowed to grade everything.

cofe

• forum hero

I know. Great, innit. ;D

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
thuggy Bear - There's a big block to put your foot on.  Otherwise known as the floor, really.

You've just answered yourself there.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
captain hook is definately harder than zippys although they are both arse dragging shuffles, zippys is a far better problem.
soft on the g, I wouldn't argue with 7b for this

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
From the punter point of view:

Early doors remains 7a+, based on other 7a's i've done around there (inc gorilla and trackside)
The prince, felt really hard for the grade.
Green traverse 7a, as it killed my shoulder  :(
7 Ball always felt hard at 6c, took me ages to get it. Not done it in a good while though.
Electrical storm (not done it yet) but feel it must be 7b.
The Kid. Went fairly easy but very much suited my style. 6c down from 7a?

Andrew B

• regular
captain hook is definately harder than zippys although they are both arse dragging shuffles, zippys is a far better problem.
soft on the g, I wouldn't argue with 7b for this

I did Captain Hook on sunday as my first proper 7B so wouldn't be complaining if it went up to 7B+. However, and maybe I can't judge as I haven't done enough at the grade, but I just can't believe it can be 7B+, it didn't feel enough of a step up from the 7A+'s I have done.

Also no chance is MRLH 7A, I did it second go and I don't do 6C's second go never mind 7A. Also compare it to MRLH BMC line which is significantly harder (IMO) and gets the same grade?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie

Some cunning marketing is what he has created.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
zippys is a far better problem.

This is tripe. Are we discussing stars or just grade?

General view so far: It seems like we're heading for some serious expansion of the 7b+ grade - all the 7cs seem to be coming down, plus several 7bs going up. The socio-demographic significance of 7b+ as representing the punter/hero transition has been discussed here before, so I won't go into that, but one thing is clear to me: since the last guide people have got better. Cofe for instance, has done Brad Pit. There are other examples. In summary, I think we need to make a bit more space for what I propose calling 'the easier 7cs' rather than just expanding 7b+ to accomodate all the proud problems that punters are suddenly wobbling up.

For starters, I now consider WSS 7c. It was considered hard/ borderline before, since the pebble loss the easiest sequence is no longer viable - therefore 7c.

And another thing - why is jonjon offering 'an opinion'? Surely he will just take a red pen to the final manuscript and lay down the truth?

cofe

• forum hero
General view so far: It seems like we're heading for some serious expansion of the 7b+ grade - all the 7cs seem to be coming down, plus several 7bs going up.

Really?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
'the easier 7cs' == 7c- ?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
wise words Johnny.
saying that zippys was better than captain hook purely meant that the moves are better, they are both shit problems

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
zippys is a far better problem.

This is tripe. Are we discussing stars or just grade?

General view so far: It seems like we're heading for some serious expansion of the 7b+ grade - all the 7cs seem to be coming down, plus several 7bs going up. The socio-demographic significance of 7b+ as representing the punter/hero transition has been discussed here before, so I won't go into that, but one thing is clear to me: since the last guide people have got better. Cofe for instance, has done Brad Pit. There are other examples. In summary, I think we need to make a bit more space for what I propose calling 'the easier 7cs' rather than just expanding 7b+ to accomodate all the proud problems that punters are suddenly wobbling up.

For starters, I now consider WSS 7c. It was considered hard/ borderline before, since the pebble loss the easiest sequence is no longer viable - therefore 7c.

And another thing - why is jonjon offering 'an opinion'? Surely he will just take a red pen to the final manuscript and lay down the truth?
There's probably an element of that but also I think historically there have been less peak 7b+s than you'd expect in a balanced grade system suggesting stuff at the margins of 7b and 7c was in the wrong grade.
 I also think WSS is 7c.

T_B

• forum hero

General view so far: It seems like we're heading for some serious expansion of the 7b+ grade - all the 7cs seem to be coming down, plus several 7bs going up.

Bit of an exaggeration. Most ppl seem to think Mossatrocity should stay at 7c. Captain Hook has been suggested as an upgrade to 7b+, but not everyone would agree with that. Dick Williams down to 7b. I dunno about Flatworld as I've not tried it in decent conditions, but apart from that it's not as if the grades of Brad Pit or Western Eyes have cropped up again (both suggested as downgrades in the 2008 thread).  Oh, I guess Sole Power down to 7b+, but really, it's not that hard just high. I've suggested an upgrade of Jason's Roof, which only one other person has disagreed with. Storm should stay at 7b+. Can't say I've followed the staminahumps stuff.

dave

I think JB is reading between lines that aren't there.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
looks like this thread has served a purpose if wss goes to 7c, although I still think I'll never do it  :(

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
just dropped back into this thread, and saw the possibility of CH going up to 7B+, I did it recently and didnt think that it felt anywhere near what i feel a 7B+ should feel like.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal