UKBouldering.com

Twanged forearm! Holiday Saturday - HELP please! (Read 3321 times)

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
So peer pressure got the best of me last night and whilst I was working at the new Reading wall, someone asked me to do one of the crack climbs: lay-back style.
Without a warm-up (error I know), I jumped on!
About half-way up I felt a bit of a twang in my left elbow/forearm...but kept going.

After, I felt a pain which has since not changed...worried as I'm off to Mallorca for two weeks on Saturday! Really school-boyed myself and am a bit gutted...but any help will be hugely appreciated!

SO the pain...
Essentially it was through lay-backing a crack - so I was on the left side of the crack and my arms were out straight (to the side of me); clearly over-stretching the top of my forearm...If you hold out your arm straight and twist your wrist round, it is at the two extremes of the twist - as far as the wrist will turn (thumb up and thumb down) that the pain is apparent. If you have golfer's elbow, it is the same as the antagonistic exercise!
I'm hoping that this will purely limit this movement, but am resting and icing until the holiday!

Any advice and exercises that could potentially improve the condition will be really helpful!

And yes, I know I'm a bit of a muppet for not warming-up!

Cheers,

Robin  :'(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Your a muppet for laybacking a crack, they're meant to be climbed by jamming  :P

(I know nothing about rehab as I'm not a physio, sorry).

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
haha - I can do nothing but agree! My only defense is how ridiculously cut up you get from new walls!
A muppet indeed, but a muppet in need!

nik at work

• forum hero
Well Saturday isn't that far away so I'd suggest either:
1) The standard rest, ice blah blah blah, take it easy to start with make sure you warm up properly etc etc

or

2) A visit to so American style evangelist type healing bod

But I'm no medical professional.

nik at work

• forum hero
Or option (3) at some point in the future invent a time machine (it doesn't need to be before Saturday just before you die) then travel back through time to just before you caused the injury, warm yourself about the forthcoming injury (thus averting it) and then travel back to the point in the future from whence you came. When you arrive back in the future (or the present as it will be then I suppose) you should have memories of a great injury free trip. Of course this may set up some kind of time-space temporal paradox or something  so that your plane crashes or something to balance the cosmic scales, but fuck it's got to be worth the risk.

But I'm no astrophysicist...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I don't think you have to invent it before you die, Nik.

If you go for the "open an account with 1euro" option (££ will no doubt become obsolete) then request a simple "pick up" any time before your death from some future time traveller.
 He/she could then nip back to the time of your choosing, pick up yourself(with fucked forearms and a history of injured underperformance) and take you back, way back to your preinjured state. Et viola.

nik at work

• forum hero
Indeed. Do that, bound to work.

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
I feel better already!  ;)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
An astrophyicist writes...... Surely if he invents a time machine after his visit to Mallorca, any subsequent reorganisation of events would nevertheless leave all successful onsights invalid. Think on young Skywalker.

On a different note I once sustained a 'claquage' in a similar location, at Volx as it happens ... ie a muscle tear which is some sort of longitudinal separation of fibres. Felt it on the route, but it didn't really hurt till afterwards when it seemed like it was on fire.

Standard procedure: ice, rest, graduated return. Less serious than tendon or ligament damage. Do that and see how you go. Might be minor. FWIW I don't think you should take up the Viola. Cello or Double bass would be more impressive.

Good luck.

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
 :dance1: Thanks for that!!! Hopefully it will be ok by next week?!?! Got some good routes on the list!
The double bass it is!
I'll bring back hoverboards whilst I'm at it!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
I went climbing in Mallorca once. Three of us stayed in a villa in Bunyola. The first week was good but by the second the village had run out of Tequila. Which was disappointing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

On a different note I once sustained a 'claquage' in a similar location, at Volx

Since when is a climbing wall in Reading a similar location to Volx.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

On a different note I once sustained a 'claquage' in a similar location on my body, on the upper forearm, albeit geographically in a different one, at Volx

Since when is a climbing wall in Reading a similar location to Volx.

I thought Reading  was near Bonnieux ? ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal