dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#325 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 02:58:02 pm
Got to take this shit head on.

:goodidea:

I know you are both right! I am practicing not being a massive shit house, and I also know you are right about how to get over it. The thing with falling off, is that actually - its quite fun! its just remembering that when you have gotten the willies and are not thinking straight.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#326 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 03:10:39 pm
That reminds me of an interesting (well, i thought so anyway) observation from the snowballing days of this winter. Whilst out with Rupert it occurred to me how much we were overgripping stuff that other considerably weaker people were getting up by the skin of their teeth. For instance, big air. Once I had that big hole thing, wild horses wouldnt have pulled me from the wall, yet that problem saw ascents from fat weak guys who had big balls, sketching wildly out of control but still getting to the top. It struck me that you need something of each of us to acheive your potential. There was a man on Shine on sketching and wobbling, and then there was rupert, with the eye of the tiger, terrified and crimping like his life depended on it (it probably did), both got to the top, but imagine what rupert could do, had he the balls of the sketcher!

tomtom

• forum hero
#327 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 03:17:57 pm
So why not get yer ass to the foundry and have a few sessions learning how to fall off..?

Varying heights above the gear and flyyyy.....

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#328 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 03:25:55 pm
You all are right, but I understand Dob's "fear" very well. I practiced controlled falls a lot, but they are very different from staying there, climbing when right at the edge of a fall. The only time when I could feel more at ease has been when I could climb a lot.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#329 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 03:30:27 pm
Yeah i dont think just 'jumping off' is the way. You need practice sketching. A good way is to do some onsights or first redpoints that are hard for you and just go for broke - no saying 'take'. Its this practice in climbing out of your skin above ur bolt that you need. Oh and taking the biggest falls you can whilst dogging mecca when trying hard links.

tomtom

• forum hero
#330 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 03:32:00 pm
Lore, I understand it very well too... which is why I don't do any sport or trad (that involves a risk of falling off). I am a great big scaredy pants. I also get bored on routes...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#331 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 05:27:33 pm
Can someone read all this back to me pls? I'm only a rope access worker

abarro81

• forum hero
#332 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 05:33:43 pm
Dobbin is a big fat scaredy cat. And a weakling. Think that pretty much sums it up.

nik at work

• forum hero
#333 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 05:41:43 pm
And too old, don't forget that he's too old.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#334 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 06:08:37 pm
Oh come on! If you can kneebar you can climb everything.
 :jab:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#335 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 08:01:19 pm
 Actually dobbin spending someone time as a level 1 wold probably help you get over being such a massive fanny by blinding you to terrifying situations through the medium of hard work.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#336 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 11:17:40 pm
... but imagine what rupert could do, had he the balls of the sketcher!

Or to make the same point a different way, imagine what the sketcher could do if he had the steely crimp strength and diminutive frame of Rupert.

Yeah i dont think just 'jumping off' is the way. You need practice sketching. A good way is to do some onsights or first redpoints that are hard for you and just go for broke - no saying 'take'. Its this practice in climbing out of your skin above ur bolt that you need. Oh and taking the biggest falls you can whilst dogging mecca when trying hard links.

For what it's worth, this is on the money.  You need to get used to pressing on climbing above bolts, desperately fighting to get to the top when you're boxed and think you could be off at any moment.  Jumping off is not the same thing.

Doylo

• forum hero
#337 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 25, 2013, 11:34:16 pm
You don't have to skip the last clip anymore cos of the kneebar tho do you?

Do it Dobbin you're a beast!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:03:17 am by Doylo »

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#338 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 12:16:34 am
I just thought I'd add that the only reason I feel qualified to have commented on this thread is that I am the very definition of a fat, weak sketcher.

Looking forward to reading the next blog about Mecca having been crushed to dust ...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#339 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 08:19:55 am
Can someone read all this back to me pls? I'm only a rope access worker

Aren't you a L3? get one of your minions to stop fanning you with palm fronds and feeding you grapes on your bed of £50 notes and precis it for you

Looking forward to reading the next blog about Mecca having been crushed to dust ...

I would love that to be the next one, but there will doubtless be some more offensive ranting before we get to that!

You don't have to skip the last clip anymore cos of the kneebar tho do you?

Do it Dobbin you're a beast!

You can clip it either way, and thanks beast!

I think youre all right by the way - there is a difference between jumping and sketching off. Me and Neddy went to the Foundry and had to work on a 6b on slopers on the left hand side of the main wall - i properly actually fell off that, and not only was it fine, but it sorted me out and made me herro for the rest of that day. But why was it just that day? probably because i need to make it more the norm and not be such a neurotic buffoon!

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#340 The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 08:43:38 am
Whilst its true that there's a difference between proper falls and jumping off, it's not night and day. In order for head training to be effective you need to *build up* from things that don't scare you. The key point is to take falls just at the edge of your comfort zone, but push that comfort zone each time. Forcing yourself to take big falls will just freak you out more.

The other point is to keep doing it, which I think you've realised. Don"t think of it as a kind of training that you do once a week, but do a little bit every single time you put a rope on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#341 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 08:51:14 am
Don"t think of it as a kind of training that you do once a week, but do a little bit every single time you put a rope on.

Also known as the Shark Oak training plan.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#342 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 09:51:25 am
i imagine the hardest thing about doing mecca atm is having the patience to stand in the fuckin queue!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#343 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 10:41:29 am
I sacked off trying Mecca some years back. I occasionally feel like getting involved again. All in all I’m glad I continue to resist these urges. It’s all very well other folk going ‘yeah you can do it!’. They just want to hear a good news story, it’s not their blood, sweat, tears and time on the line. Sounds like you’ve found a way to enjoy climbing and get stuff done, is it worth sacking this to jump on the seige bus? Do you really want to tie up all your free time for some indeterminate period and become a hostage to fortune again? I continue to think trying Mecca would be a poor use of my time and motivation. Just wanted to give an alternative perspective to the glee crew.
PS I don’t doubt you can do Mecca.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#344 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 11:12:41 am
For the record, I doubt you can do Mecca Dobbin. Will you not show me the video of you not doing it now?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#345 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 11:35:40 am
I dont think dobbin can do it either

T_B

• forum hero
#346 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 11:36:57 am
I sacked off trying Mecca some years back. I occasionally feel like getting involved again. All in all I’m glad I continue to resist these urges.

Shirley there's a little knee pad devil whispering in your ear?  ;)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#347 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 11:49:23 am
I sacked off trying Mecca some years back. I occasionally feel like getting involved again. All in all I’m glad I continue to resist these urges. It’s all very well other folk going ‘yeah you can do it!’. They just want to hear a good news story, it’s not their blood, sweat, tears and time on the line. Sounds like you’ve found a way to enjoy climbing and get stuff done, is it worth sacking this to jump on the seige bus? Do you really want to tie up all your free time for some indeterminate period and become a hostage to fortune again? I continue to think trying Mecca would be a poor use of my time and motivation. Just wanted to give an alternative perspective to the glee crew.

it is if you like doing it, it isn't if you dont. obviously

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#348 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 11:54:47 am
I sacked off trying Mecca some years back. I occasionally feel like getting involved again. All in all I’m glad I continue to resist these urges.

Shirley there's a little knee pad devil whispering in your ear?  ;)
I've had a play on it with a pad. Seemed a solid grade easier. Call me a grade chaser but this helped to put me off trying it.

it is if you like doing it, it isn't if you dont. obviously
Yeah doing it would be fun. It's all the not doing it that's less inspiring, especially on the days when this is due to external bollox like bad conditions, belayer shortage, or queues.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#349 Re: The Blog of Dob
June 26, 2013, 12:18:32 pm
I have sympathy for Dobs here. My eldest son has a chronic fear of falling and I thought a good few sessions of falling practice down the Foundry would work. It was a painfully frustrating process for both of us and we sacked it off as we made zero progress. He just boulders now and is dead to me.

There is a spectrum but hardly anyone is undistracted by the prospect of falling. Even Steve Mac, who is one of the least distracted I've climbed with, said in an article that he worked hard to be absolutely 100% undistracted.

I don't know what the solution is. Probably a variety of tactics/strategies. Falling practice might be the answer for some. Wanting the route or link badly enough is the main thing that helps me. Be good to know what tactics have worked for others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal