UKBouldering.com

Too thin to win? (Read 28184 times)

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#75 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 10:20:55 am
Personally I find the whole meat thing a bit of a myth.

From being a full on meat eater for 29 years I decided to go VEGAN for personal reasons. 3 years on I'm stronger, faster, fitter, lighter than ever. I have slashed my running PB's, bouldered & trained harder than ever & have not suffered from protein or any other nutrient deficiencies.

Fair enough I don't crush big numbers (up to font 7b at present) or run silly fast times (sub 42 min 10km at present), but my personal progress had been great & I'm continuing to improve . Even a 2 month Euro trip living cheap out of a van didn't slow me down. If anything I lost more weight & climbed just as hard & just as often.

Stubbs

#76 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 10:26:31 am
From being a full on meat eater for 29 years I decided to go VEGAN for personal reasons. 3 years on I'm stronger, faster, fitter, lighter than ever.

Did you have a facsimile of yourself made at the time who kept on eating meat and training exactly the same as you to see whether veganism had a positive or detrimental effect overall?  I started drinking about 13 years ago and I'm a lot better at climbing now than I was when I started!

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#77 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 10:41:26 am
From being a full on meat eater for 29 years I decided to go VEGAN for personal reasons. 3 years on I'm stronger, faster, fitter, lighter than ever.

Did you have a facsimile of yourself made at the time who kept on eating meat and training exactly the same as you to see whether veganism had a positive or detrimental effect overall?  I started drinking about 13 years ago and I'm a lot better at climbing now than I was when I started!

Nah, just feel lot better with out meat, probably a weight thing as I dropped a stone or so without altering my training. Vegan  is defo not the best option for health as it can be a pain to do right. I'm not preaching, each to there own, but it works for me. 

Stubbs

#78 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 10:44:41 am
You're preaching to the choir homes

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#79 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 12:44:05 pm

Nah, just feel lot better with out meat, probably a weight thing as I dropped a stone or so without altering my training. Vegan  is defo not the best option for health as it can be a pain to do right. I'm not preaching, each to there own, but it works for me.

On the other end of the scale, I have been reading this guys blog lately, strongly considering purchasing his book, and following the primal diet, looks very intriguing ....

Paul B

• forum hero
#80 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 12:47:23 pm
er, tuna is not a particularly sustainable option. Waitrose tinned Makarel is Marine Steward's Council certified, it's 68p a tin, full of Omega3, and much tastier than tinned tuna, which is basically cat food. They also do line caught tinned cornish pilchards and sardines, both of which are great.

Eat well, and support sustainable british fishing industry at the same time. That's 2 birds, 1 stone...

Out of interest do you (or anybody else) apply these kind of ethics across the board with food? I tried really hard to do so but it gets difficult, especially if you ever choose to eat out.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#81 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 12:55:57 pm
I would say I try to apply these ethics. Although it's very hard to be completely consistent. I try to buy seasonal (british) fruit and veg (and i grow some of my own), but i do buy bananas, tomatoes in winter and peppers sometimes. Fish-wise, I'm pretty good at only buying MSC certified, or organically farmed. The same with meat. These are luxury items, not staples, so there is no excuse for going low on quality/source. Eat it less often if it's too pricey.
I'm sure there are plenty of items in my cupboard/fridge that would make me look like a total hypocrite, but such is 21st century life.

Oddly, I don't give 2 fucks about 'saving the world', the human race is doomed and that's not going to change, but I'd rather support some person or industry that thinks about the way it does things. That said, I regularly shop at Tesco. As I said, hypocrite.

Paul B

• forum hero
#82 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 01:06:00 pm
The same with meat. These are luxury items, not staples, so there is no excuse for going low on quality/source. Eat it less often if it's too pricey.

I was just interested. I found it massively more expensive to do this and as a result started to treat these as luxury items but then my diet went a direction I didn't really like, based mostly around carbs with little high quality protein. Then I went shake mad.

clm

• forum hero
#83 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:09:32 pm
I had no idea there were so many perverts on this forum.  Some of the cocktails of god knows what people are chomping.  Bonkers.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#84 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:12:38 pm
 :lol:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#85 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:16:21 pm
Not that I partake, but not all of us were born too thin to win Clm.

clm

• forum hero
#86 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:22:25 pm
Not sure ive been winning either.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#87 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:24:40 pm
I think you have  :shag:  ;D

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#88 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:24:52 pm
That's surfing for you CLM. Jerry's 13 stone now  :lol:

clm

• forum hero
#89 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:27:42 pm
Ive been 11.5 for nearly 12 years now. 

a dense loner

• forum hero
#90 Re: Too thin to win?
March 18, 2010, 07:32:10 pm
and you're 6ft2, a fine figure of a man

Doylo

• forum hero
#91 Re: Too thin to win?
March 19, 2010, 07:06:52 pm
I was thinking the Lincoln's and Doyle's of this world would be horrendously crippled with heavily damaged metabolisms by now but seemingly not.

I ate cheescake and Walkers sensations all winter

account_inactive

• forum hero
#92 Re: Too thin to win?
March 19, 2010, 07:46:57 pm

and if you want a decent post workout shake, their one is brilliant ( in terms of indgredient profile, taste is ok)

http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/product.php/697/golden_finish

Plus you gotta love the name, sounds like some deviant pr0n film  :thumbsup:

Genius name.

Being light works for climbing, end of story.  Eating a sensible diet and supplementing with protein etc is the best way to improve recovery and strength.  I'm not that psyched to stuff loads of meat down my throat seeing as it contains extra fat and bad cholesterol (unless it's man meat that is)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal