UKBouldering.com

IT News (Read 156861 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
IT News
February 11, 2010, 10:25:16 am
After Google announced they were planning on putting a Gigabit broadband network into the US, are they coming here too?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/355462/is-google-planning-to-fibre-britain

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 10:32:28 am
Better them than BT. They might actually get it done.

Bernard Jefferies

#2 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 10:38:46 am
I doubt it!

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 10:40:42 am
Better them than BT. They might actually get it done.
That's what I thought, BT are frickin useless  ;D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#4 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 10:41:04 am

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 11:22:02 am
BT are total cunts. We had loads of problems with our broadband and it took three visits from their engineers (and months in between) to find out that it was actually their external wiring to the house that was the problem.

Meanwhile, during one of the visits, one of the fuckers had disconnected the extension to the attic (that we had to pay the cunts to put in when we moved in) although I only found out about this months later when I attempted to shift the wireless modem upstairs. It didn't work and when I checked the extension box downstairs I found that the wires had just been stuffed into it rather than reconnected.

When I called them to complain the woman said that they had no record of the engineers visits because the problem was sorted through Sky (who we have the broadband with) and if I wanted an engineer to come and fix the problem they would charge me £125. MOTHERFUCKERS! £125 to fix the problem they caused! Eventually I got an electrician to fix it for me which cost very little but that's not the point.

We only had the line rental with BT because we used ti be with Talk Talk (also cunts) and couldn't switch everything over to Sky (owned by a cunt but very good service......so far) without first having a BT line again for a year.

During that year we had a few problems (BT overcharging in comparison to quoted costs etc) the major one being our line not working for a few days. We reported the problem (when you called our number you got the mobile of a bloke with a shop on West St) and after jumping through a load of hoops (including having to agree that if the problem was of our causing, you guessed it, a £125 charge) and doing various tests an engineer came out when we weren't in. He put a card through the door and I got a call saying the problem was at the exchange and had been fixed. Except it still didn't work.

So we got another engineer out who came round when I was out but my Mrs was in, told her that the problem had been fixed and that the only problem was that I'd not plugged the router back into the socket. Er....hello! I'd plugged the phone directly into the master test socket thing and there was no dial tone.

Anyway, when I got back I found that it was all working so though nothing of it. The guy had obviously fixed the problem at the exchange prior to coming round to ours and then sorted the setup at our end. This was all fine until we got our final bill from BT (as we were then able to switch to Sky for the line rental) with......... a £125 call out charge on it!

I spent hours on the phone arguing the toss with unfortunate Indian call centre staff, their managers and their manager but got absolutely nowhere as the engineer had written in his report that the only problem when he came out was that we had not plugged the router in. This was a lie but according to them was set in stone.

My Mrs eventually paid them to avoid the lengthy process of it going to small claims etc and possibly affecting her credit rating. To be honest it is well worth £125 just to never have to deal with the fucking cunty cunts again.

/rant

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 11:33:12 am
Fuck, what a fucking nightmare - I feel your pain  :)

We have a guy at work in the Networks and Comms team and his job is literally to ring up and shout at BT each day, I kid you not. So even if you pay them hundreds of thousands of pounds each year, they are still shit!!

I could list several ludicrous stories of BT's continual shitness, but I don't want to bore people  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 12:03:26 pm
Fuck, what a fucking nightmare - I feel your pain  :)

We have a guy at work in the Networks and Comms team and his job is literally to ring up and shout at BT each day, I kid you not.

:lol:

I'm qualified for that job.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#8 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:00:49 pm
Not come across this myself, but according to my colleague it is fairly common:

Intel says warranties evaporate when kit resold

A 2 second google seems to suggest similar policies applying to cars, mobile phones and Nikon cameras  :o

Well you learn something new every day! I will be thinking twice about buying second hand goods in future...

dave

#9 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:25:26 pm
Obviously second-hand gear isn't covered by the original warranty, this is perfectly normal. Warranties almost always apply only to the original purchaser.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:36:17 pm
One exception I encountered was the 7-year warranty on the bodywork of my car which, from what I'd read, was time and not owner limited (unfortunately the door which had developed rust wasn't original so I couldn't claim anyway  >:().

dave

#11 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:48:48 pm
Did that warranty cover peak district tarmac rash to the doors, roof, other door, door again, roof, other door etc etc?

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#12 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:54:06 pm
As I said I've not come across this before, mainly because I don't tend to be second hand kit (of any variety) and have only ever needed to claim under manufacturers warranty for failed hard drives (which I buy from new) and a washing machine (again bought from new).

The thing is, I'm sure there are many things that are resold frequently - like cars, cameras/lenses etc and I would expect the warranty to still exist with the new owner.

As slack---line says the paint on his car was an exception, however if I bought a one year old Audi I would expect it to still be under warranty, clearly I assumed wrong!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 02:57:16 pm
Did that warranty cover peak district tarmac rash to the doors, roof, other door, door again, roof, other door etc etc?

:lol: Unfortunately not  :-[

(Overall a good thing writing the car off as it meant we I didn't have to sort out the rusty door, or have the thing devalue further)

Most warranties are designed to expire just before the items develop problems anyway, so are pretty useless.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:04:52 pm
Bird at work has a Sony TV which packed in after 13 months. Exactly a month after the warranty expired. I suggested trading standards, Sale of Goods Act or something should still cover it as 13 months is hardly an acceptable life for a £600 TV.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#15 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:26:59 pm
Bird at work has a Sony TV which packed in after 13 months. Exactly a month after the warranty expired. I suggested trading standards, Sale of Goods Act or something should still cover it as 13 months is hardly an acceptable life for a £600 TV.
I've been doing some reading about this after my revelation about warranties earlier. It seems that under UK law you have up to 6 years (in England) to claim if they develop a fault. I could be interpreting this wrong though..

I agree (and I think most people would too) and would expect a TV to last longer than 12 (13) months...

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

dave

#16 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:34:27 pm
I've been doing some reading about this after my revelation about warranties earlier. It seems that under UK law you have up to 6 years (in England) to claim if they develop a fault. I could be interpreting this wrong though..

You're reading it right. Manufacturers/retailers often play dumb on this point though, knowing that a proportion of people won't bother to follow them up. Same goes for the retailer's old line of "well, you'll have to contact the manufacturer about that, its nothing to do with us" etc etc.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:40:30 pm
Word. Know your rights. BT are still cunts though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:44:56 pm
I'm confused Jasper  ???

Could you clarify what BT are for me, please?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:55:43 pm
CUNTS.

Apologies for not making myself more clear.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 03:59:17 pm
Thanks  ;)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 04:04:30 pm
I thought I might need to cut back on the amount I swear until I read this........

http://ohforfuckssake.com/blogs/im-cunt-and-windows-7-was-my-idea

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 04:08:03 pm
I thought I might need to cut back on the amount I swear until I read this........

http://ohforfuckssake.com/blogs/im-cunt-and-windows-7-was-my-idea

Thats fucking brilliant!

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#24 Re: IT News
February 11, 2010, 04:10:38 pm
dude... cunt the cunt right off...

Lyrical mastery...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal