UKBouldering.com

Stone Farm Boulder (Read 14544 times)

Jameshs

Stone Farm Boulder
June 15, 2009, 04:43:43 pm
I was at Stone Farm yesterday and came across this

Any idea what it goes at as it looked quite fun but i never got round to having a go?

Also nailed Stinging Nettle too  :great:

Also does anyone have any beta for Slap Happy?

Dr T

• forum hero
#1 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
June 15, 2009, 04:52:52 pm
if that's the one on the lone block about half way down...
tried it direct on a year or so ago, was beaten by the heat but thought it felt 7a/+ ish
will be back down in the next few weeks once schools out if the weather cools - might have a better answer for you then..
where is slap happy couldn't find it in the guide??

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#2 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
June 15, 2009, 05:16:19 pm
I got told years ago 6b+/6c but felt a little hard

Jameshs

#3 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
June 16, 2009, 12:05:28 pm
Where is the offical start?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
June 16, 2009, 12:27:06 pm
I used to really like Stone Farm. Not many people went there and there was (is?) some good rock there. So good to see a picture of it again! I used to work a traverse under that block from R-L that was quite fun - I seem to remember it having a knuckle lock off a corner for the RH when dropping into it. Its been ages since I was last there (96??) as my folks moved away from Surrey and I settled in the north.. (cue reminiscing music....)
 :)

Dr T

• forum hero
#5 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
June 16, 2009, 01:38:50 pm
Where is the offical start?
I thought the 6B+ went leftish where as I was trying straight up but what do I know....  ???

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
#6 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 10:51:53 am
Its called Milestone mantelshelf a brit 6a, a font 6b+ and no more.

here is a vid with stinging nettle to boot.

Dr T

• forum hero
#7 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 11:28:54 am
is there a concenous as to where stinging nettle actually starts???

average comes in from the left (see above)

whereas Ian H comes in from the right

to me the left hand variant felt much easier than the right (which I couldn't do when I last tried a few years back))
the guide book doesn't help much and the hard sandstone facebook page has the right hand line as 7b something..

who was the first ascentionist, maybe he'll know

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

why all the questions - well it's on the list for the summer and I want to get it right although I'll probably end up having to do both versions....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 11:37:28 am
I'll probably end up having to do both versions....

And that would be a problem because?

Surely if one variant is harder and you can do that, then the other (presumably easier) variant should be a piece of piss?

Dr T

• forum hero
#9 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 11:44:44 am
no problem - it's just nice to get a handle on what's what
I spend so much time in my shed I lose my grasp on what's what grade wise in the outside world
the perils of a six day a week job in the middle of surrey
(and climbing indoors doesn't help round here as we use special craggy grades  ;D )

Averageman

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 06:15:50 pm
Sorry but Ian is using all the wrong holds (sorry Ian), follow my beta, that is the correct line and don't use the ends of either brake for your hands, especially the one where the heel hook goes, that Ian starts from. Ps finger flow on the north boulder was also wrong  :P

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 12, 2009, 09:50:58 pm
Oh Mr Average, this is Sandstone not peak limestone what's with the don't use the end of the break eliminate shizle? As far as I was aware this wasn't an eliminate problem, just a nice easy left hand line & a harder right hand line, now your giving us a more direct version! I know we are lacking rock & lines down south, but strewth......

Averageman

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 13, 2009, 04:37:18 pm
Oh Mr Average, this is Sandstone not peak limestone what's with the don't use the end of the break eliminate shizle? As far as I was aware this wasn't an eliminate problem, just a nice easy left hand line & a harder right hand line, now your giving us a more direct version! I know we are lacking rock & lines down south, but strewth......
Your spot on Chriss, this is not an eliminate, it is an independent line, and i just don't think anyone can claim the 7a+ if the large low break on the right is used for the hands, its easier!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#13 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 13, 2009, 04:40:08 pm
i did it from the right, so did keith so did james, thats were stinging nettle officially start, ians beta is the right way

avergman you are wrong sorry

Averageman

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 13, 2009, 08:01:31 pm
i did it from the right, so did keith so did james, thats were stinging nettle officially start, ians beta is the right way

I don't think so, it is an Ian Stronghill problem you can ask him, prepare to be enlightened.

Dr T

• forum hero
#15 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 13, 2009, 08:30:52 pm

:oops:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 13, 2009, 10:20:16 pm

I don't think so, it is an Ian Stronghill problem you can ask him, prepare to be enlightened.

either way it does not matter, its a one move problem start left or right, I did it many many years ago after being told about it being a project, stronghill did it foloowed by us lot a couple of days later, we were told just to sit start, they way in ian's video is the most logical line of least resistance.

But as sandstone is limited and most the problems there are eliminates it does not matter, just do it how you feel, both about the same grade

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#17 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 11:16:08 am

:oops:

We sung a great song about this subject

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

ian h

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 01:00:45 pm

Sorry to point out the fact that stinging nettle is actually a Pete Ziegunfuss problem. He is really short, on the first ascent he actually used the drilled hole for his little finger and did it static. Ian stronghill came up with the more dynamic way that can be seen in my video above.

As for fingerflow , where do you suggest that goes ? The grade in the guidebook remains for the line in the film above , as this is the line me and Ian Stronghill climbed when checking the grades for the southern sandstone bouldering section.

Cheers Ian

Averageman

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 03:58:10 pm
Sorry to point out the fact that stinging nettle is actually a Pete Ziegunfuss problem. He is really short, on the first ascent he actually used the drilled hole for his little finger and did it static. Ian stronghill came up with the more dynamic way that can be seen in my video above.

As for fingerflow , where do you suggest that goes ? The grade in the guidebook remains for the line in the film above , as this is the line me and Ian Stronghill climbed when checking the grades for the southern sandstone bouldering section.

Cheers Ian
Ah, well therein lies the problem, it was Ian's beta that led me that way, but i did not know about Pete Ziegunfuss, nor have i heard of this chap. As for fingerflow, i went direct to the top using a finger lock/ gaston, in the middle runnel, and kept the line direct, whereas you break left and appear to finish on touque wrench (i may be mistaken), i can't remember where i got the beta, but it was, again independant and logical, for a short chap like me anyway.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 04:40:40 pm
Take your blinkers off Averageman, these problems are lines NOT eliminates......

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#22 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 05:26:05 pm
Take your blinkers off Averageman, these problems are lines NOT eliminates......

well said

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#23 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 08:35:10 pm
but i did not know about Pete Ziegunfuss, nor have i heard of this chap.

I believe he's done the hardest stuff in the area? Yankee Affair? Don't have guidebook to hand  :-\

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#24 Re: Stone Farm Boulder
July 14, 2009, 08:41:15 pm
but i did not know about Pete Ziegunfuss, nor have i heard of this chap.

I believe he's done the hardest stuff in the area? Yankee Affair? Don't have guidebook to hand  :-\

and i thought andy was the walking guide book

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal