UKBouldering.com

Last Minute Trip (Read 73046 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#200 Re: Last Minute Trip
September 14, 2012, 08:56:35 pm
The Yanks I've chatted to seem to rate RRG as the world class sport venue in the US. It's certainly the big one on my wish list over there if we're talking bolt clipping. Get those energy systems nailed and get on this shit:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#201 Re: Last Minute Trip
September 14, 2012, 09:05:02 pm
The Yanks I've chatted to seem to rate RRG as the world class sport venue in the US. It's certainly the big one on my wish list over there if we're talking bolt clipping.

Agreed.  The next closest in my book would be Ten Sleep Canyon. 

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#202 Re: Last Minute Trip
September 14, 2012, 09:37:30 pm
RRG is really good, I loved it.  The climbing in itself is not worth the carbon footprint of flying all the way across the Atlantic imo, but combined with the cultural experience of visiting American south light just might make it worth it.

andy_e

• forum hero
#203 Re: Last Minute Trip
September 14, 2012, 11:28:44 pm
...experience of... American south...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#204 Re: Last Minute Trip
September 14, 2012, 11:58:06 pm
RRG is really good, I loved it.  The climbing in itself is not worth the carbon footprint of flying all the way across the Atlantic imo, but combined with the cultural experience of visiting American south light just might make it worth it.

The only good culture around RRG is all the bourbon distilleries  :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#205 Re: Last Minute Trip
October 12, 2012, 10:11:11 am
Any decisions made yet? I unearthed my Red Rocks Guide about a week ago, and keep rereading it and being amazed by how inspiring the place is.

Paul B

• forum hero
#206 Re: Last Minute Trip
October 12, 2012, 10:14:11 am
Nat had her professional review on Tues (she won't really let on how it went), it takes 6 weeks to hear back from that, afterwards we'll decide.

Interestingly I just sold a lot of gear to two guys off to Red Rocks, one bought a couple of Yates Screamers  :o

SA Chris

• forum hero
#207 Re: Last Minute Trip
October 12, 2012, 10:18:22 am
Can't think why. Anything without good gear is either partially or fully bolted. Have a look at the Jerry Handren Guide if you see it in any shops, guaranteed to psyche you up.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#208 Re: Last Minute Trip
November 14, 2012, 09:02:25 am
Red Rock is a great venue for relatively uncommitting but still excellent quality multi-pitch trad. and sport routes.  There is decent single-pitch climbing and bouldering too.  Folk were really friendly and helpful (as usual in the US).  Las Vegas is useful for supplies and so forth and you can take or leave the rest of it.  Desert Rock Sports is a really useful and helpful climbing shop for gear and beta.  Mt. Charleston is not far away if you fancied a busman's holiday.

There is plenty of other stuff to do in the vicinity (vicinity US style = 5 hours drive): Grand, Zion, and Bryce Canyons, LA, Bishop, and Joshua Tree.  The western US desert in general is pretty ace and you can live out your Fear and Loathing fantasies if you so wish.  I'm definitely returning in the not-too-distant future.

Downsides?  The local camp site is rumoured to be a little rough. I stayed with a friend in Vegas, so this is only hearsay.  There is other camping in the area.  I imagine anywhere could be a bit cold and windy at night in November.  The legendary Vegas hotel deals are a thing of the past but cheapish Motels are still available, especially Sunday-Thursday.  You have to pay to enter the park and have to be out by sundown.  A climbers 'late exit' special provision is available but you have to register in advance for this (by phone).  Amazing bureaucracy.     

SA Chris

• forum hero
#209 Re: Last Minute Trip
November 14, 2012, 09:16:28 am
We got a good deal staying at a hotel a long way from the strip and not too far to the park, i think it was called "Sundowner". The Red Rock Resort is closer to the park, but more classy, the one we were at was mostly full of midlle ages folk and pensioners. But rooms were enormous, food was cheap and had nice pool not that we used it much. Prices skyrocketed on Friday and Saturday nights, so worth getting out for a day or two.

If you are staying for more than a few days there is a multi entry pass that is worth getting. I think we got one and it was worthwile for more than 5 entries? If you want to avoid it there are some parts of the climbing you can access from outside the park area; I think Calico Hills and some of the longer routes at the opposite end are more easily accessed by parking on the highway so you don't run foul of the "late exit" rule.

Paul B

• forum hero
#210 Re: Last Minute Trip
November 14, 2012, 12:13:36 pm
Thanks.

We've just returned from a 3 week trip to Buoux which was high on my agenda after the previous trip. I think it highlighted a few things quite well. Mainly, doing a Europe trip again, the scope would have to be very different and instead of onsights and relatively straightforward redpoints it would be best suited to fairly long term redpointing mixed in with obscure (longer) venues we didn't visit previously.

I think we both felt like it made the West Coast seem more appealing. Nat finds out her results on the 30th so we'll make the decision shortly after that. The way it works, it's fairly easy to screw up on your first attempt so I'm not getting too excited quite yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal