Scottish goings on (Read 14346 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#25 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 02:06:50 pm
and indeed here is a comment from the big yin himsel :

Over on the Atlantic Bridge cave John managed a new sequence which thouroughly changed the way I had climbed it originally. New holds were discovered by both of us - a huge jug midway & a good finishing edge included. The problem is still destined to be 3 star classic either way, but the sequence John used allowed him to get both feet on the back wall, a move far to compressed & illogical for my frame, & thus give him an instant & stable, 180° twist, cutting out the 360° later. From here he could get directly onto a big jug midway in the roof, whereas I would have to strike out desperately for a sloper system in a footless lay down start, desperado style. Becuase of the new body position John was then able to utilize a large positive rail out below my direct variation, beyond the new jug which alters the line into ape like swinging & healthy slaps rather than crimper gnarling. The 5 extra holds & sinker ledge have a radical effect, giving an almost new sequence from the same start. It's funny how a problem can be altered, by height & wingspan factors, but not entirely controversial. There are probably even 2 further sequences at least for this line - becuase that's just the nature of it. In that way, it's unlike others I've climbed that don't allow so many variations by their own nature. You'd know this if you stood in front of any of them & tried - then in front of this cave. These things happen, like Brad Pitt getting V13 originally. We all know it's V9 but who would deny the quality whatever happens to the numbers - I fucked up in a way, but I also didn't, we both climbed genuinely different sequences, John being able to squeeze into gaps that would have my leggy frame tangled, but there's a lesson here - All we need now is for a dwarf to have a go & basketball player for a genuine consensus! The sad thing is, I'm betting the downgrade without the reasons, will get more conjectured coverage whereas the initial climb was pretty much ignored - & that's the worry I have about todays climbing agenda - People seem fired up to retort endlessly about a downfall , but find it hardest of all to celebrate a success - I bet they'll all have expert views on a climb they acknowledged with a murmour initially - Now that's irony - I thought I'd add that before the forum wailers go into overdrive & start spewing & calling every other line into question by some weird invented head link.

http://-v15-.blogspot.com/search?q=atlantic&x=49&y=7

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#26 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 02:35:48 pm
Funnily enough the pics of AB on Si's 8a.nu gallery, UKC gallery and the photo sequence (surely this would vindicate this new sequence bollox) on his blog have all been deleted. Although google still has the image cached from the 8a.nu gallery
Hmmm looks remarkably similar to the vid sequence to me

The original writeup has also been lifted, however he did forgot to get rid of this:

16.11.05: The new photo series of Atlantic Bridge v14 way will be up tomorrow sometime, showing the whole sequence from the deep gnarly sitter to the arete finish. Complete with woolly hat, just in time for the rock report, which bizzarly I seem to have been craftily manipulated into pen-ghosting for Mick as he's somewhere over the Atlantic gathering jet lag on his way to the UK...err aight then...feckin Rockfax staff & their executive lifefstyles aye...

And there's the UKC news item
On Lewis Si O'conor reports a lay down start to Atlantic Bridge at a proposed V13 (around Font 8b) and an even bigger number on the Isle of Skye, he has reported V15 (around Font 8c) for Eat Yerself Whole. You can read more at Si's blog. Si is also currently making a film about the bouldering on Lewis.
Descriptions on Scottishclimbs.com
atlantic bridge from the origanlly tried start 4 yrs ago. Finn spotted. atlantic bridge can be climbed from 2 starts. 1] crouch at the edge of the roof - v9. 2] sloper crack under roof -v11. the cave sitter goes from nicks right at the back & courses each start in one go, extending the line & making a super intense link. nb: this was the original idea & makes more sense...its just hard to do..
Atlantic Bridge   Font 7c+   4   2   00-06-2003   Si O'Conor
Visible as a dark hole beyond the freestanding "prow" on Skigersta beach. Jam & share deep under the roof, then long reaches on very fingery edges to slopers on a short arete [obvious & to the left] & pull through on this. Harder for dwarfs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:53:11 pm by Bonjoy »

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#27 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 02:43:45 pm
which explains why I couldnt find anything when I looked. Good detective work Bonnos.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#28 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 03:12:45 pm

If you look at this and the image of John Watson on the video page, they are in fact in exactly the same position.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:20:14 pm by Bonjoy »

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#29 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 03:24:07 pm
damn you. I was only waiting for photoshop to install. I started trying it in mspaint and got my knickers in a twist.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#30 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 03:33:53 pm
and indeed here is a comment from the big yin himsel :

Over on the Atlantic Bridge cave John managed a new sequence which thouroughly changed the way I had climbed it originally. New holds were discovered by both of us - a huge jug midway & a good finishing edge included. The problem is still destined to be 3 star classic either way, but the sequence John used allowed him to get both feet on the back wall, a move far to compressed & illogical for my frame, & thus give him an instant & stable, 180° twist, cutting out the 360° later. From here he could get directly onto a big jug midway in the roof, whereas I would have to strike out desperately for a sloper system in a footless lay down start, desperado style. Becuase of the new body position John was then able to utilize a large positive rail out below my direct variation, beyond the new jug which alters the line into ape like swinging & healthy slaps rather than crimper gnarling. The 5 extra holds & sinker ledge have a radical effect, giving an almost new sequence from the same start. It's funny how a problem can be altered, by height & wingspan factors, but not entirely controversial. There are probably even 2 further sequences at least for this line - becuase that's just the nature of it. In that way, it's unlike others I've climbed that don't allow so many variations by their own nature. You'd know this if you stood in front of any of them & tried - then in front of this cave. These things happen, like Brad Pitt getting V13 originally. We all know it's V9 but who would deny the quality whatever happens to the numbers - I fucked up in a way, but I also didn't, we both climbed genuinely different sequences, John being able to squeeze into gaps that would have my leggy frame tangled, but there's a lesson here - All we need now is for a dwarf to have a go & basketball player for a genuine consensus! The sad thing is, I'm betting the downgrade without the reasons, will get more conjectured coverage whereas the initial climb was pretty much ignored - & that's the worry I have about todays climbing agenda - People seem fired up to retort endlessly about a downfall , but find it hardest of all to celebrate a success - I bet they'll all have expert views on a climb they acknowledged with a murmour initially - Now that's irony - I thought I'd add that before the forum wailers go into overdrive & start spewing & calling every other line into question by some weird invented head link.

http://-v15-.blogspot.com/search?q=atlantic&x=49&y=7

He is such a cock.

Will this finally see the era of Si O'Bullshit ending??  :wave:

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#31 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 03:56:55 pm
like Brad Pitt getting V13 originally. We all know it's V9 but

eeerrr, yeah right

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#32 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 04:09:41 pm
Ok, so not as polished as Jon's but this is my first stab at this gif animating thing, so bear with me.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 04:42:57 pm
Seamless craftsmanship Mr stunthorse

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#34 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 05:23:08 pm
i can attest to the quality and potential at carn liath, we visited first week in june this year

the 45 min walk in is just perfect, leaving one in a secluded corrie with fine views away to the north

the trad climbs were excellent too, though care needs to be exercised with the weathered rock, as noted previously

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#35 Re: Scottish goings on
October 03, 2006, 07:44:17 pm
bonjoy,  you are indeed one of my hero's. Your detective work is second to none and I have great admiration for you! Ever since you noticed that recurrence pattern in the pebbles in one of Si's shots... ha ha ha...

:bow:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#36 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 08:29:16 am
I'm not interested in the grade to be honest, but i am beginning to have doubts regarding Si 'O's quality assessments. That looks shit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 08:30:15 am
i can attest to the quality and potential at carn liath, we visited first week in june this year

Wanted to check it out weekend before last, but it was pissing down. Tried to climb in Coire Laggan the next day, guess what the weather did?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#38 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 08:49:48 am

Well, if you will live in one of the rainiest places in Europe...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#39 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 10:20:05 am
another extract from stonecountry - gabbrofest article

I noted the inclusion of Si O'Conor's 'hard' problems with interest, having had my own share of frustration in trying to give Si the benefit of the doubt when it comes to cutting-edge problems. There is no doubt these lines exist as 'lines' and have been located by James, though Si still has to take responsibility for his claims and provide some core evidence of actually linking and climbing them. They are insanely blank propositions even to an experienced eye and to date Si has smoke-screened everyone who has tried to climb with him or film him on these problems... the author's own photographs are not enough to suggest full ascents. I guess James and Lee have shown a similar philosophy of generosity (describing Extradition, It's Over and Paper Tiger etc). Future guides and literature will not be so generous, I fear.

*irish, sigh*

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 10:21:42 am

Well, if you will live in one of the rainiest places in Europe...

What the Lake District? Aberdeen is pretty dry, apart from when the haar comes in. Think the weather has been better up here recently than daahn saath.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#41 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 10:26:42 am

I'm still traumatised from living in Glasgow for two years - definitely the most depressing weather I've ever seen. I thought it rained a lot in Sheffield, but Glasgow takes the piss.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#42 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 10:50:12 am

, but Glasgow takes the piss.

If you pardon the pun, in more than one sense.

squeek

• junky
#43 Re: Scottish goings on
October 04, 2006, 01:07:22 pm
New holds were discovered by both of us - a huge jug midway

You'd think if you spent a bit of time working on a V14 you might, just might, notice a huge jug midway that you hadn't used.

webbo

• forum hero
#44 Re: Scottish goings on
October 05, 2006, 08:41:34 am
i heard a story from a mate at the wall who's working with john watson on his guides.that super si had claimed the first ascent of a new e8 which turned out to be an existing e3.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#46 Re: Scottish goings on
January 30, 2007, 05:33:25 pm
I am more interested in -v15-.blogspot.com updates  ::) :wall: :whistle:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#47 Re: Scottish goings on
January 30, 2007, 05:34:07 pm
 ::)

Why is SoC all that some people can think about as soon as Scotland gets mentioned?

gr

• regular
#48 Re: Scottish goings on
January 30, 2007, 09:47:10 pm
because he is entertaining:
"Needless to say climbing here is...beyond serious. Payback will be in my own fashion for a few, riding down the volcanic wild plume & wrought in full. I've survived it before & I will again, between a chasm of one E8,7b, an E7 & four E6's - all stilled & unfailing, within forged anvils of time, they remain redhot - & coldly unrepeated while galleons of huddled climbers tell tales of bravery on 5mtr E10s, in wine bars & how they once got dirt on their down jacket at Stanage...each to their own I guess."

richieb

• menacing presence
#49 Re: Scottish goings on
January 30, 2007, 10:49:46 pm
Im interested Chris! Especially in the prospect of an update to the guide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal