UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 121816 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#100 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 12:00:19 am
I detest G 'n' Rs, I hate everything that Blur stood for, but I have subsequently been charmed by The Dears who have taken the best of what that this bunch of floppy ponces mustered and have run magnificently towards the horizon (check them out).

As for Radiohead - I rate OK Computer and Kid A, but the latest stuff leaves me cold. (that's me agreeing to differ)

Nobody has mentioned Kylie yet, so I will. I don't get it. She can't sing, she has such a contrived stage presence I can't imagine any sane being finding anything of worth in her pathetic prancing (not dancing - just prancing). And she is absolutely not the sex bomb that the cnuts in the marketing dept would have us believe. Utterly sexless (and talentless) as far as I'm concerned. Don't believe the hype.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#101 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 12:15:41 am
And she is absolutely not the sex bomb that the cnuts in the marketing dept would have us believe. Utterly sexless (and talentless) as far as I'm concerned. Don't believe the hype.

:shock:

Was that a subtle way of coming out Si? :wink:

EDIT: I have found contrary evidence to the above nonsense :wink:

Pantontino

• forum hero
#102 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 12:40:49 am
I have come across this 'Kylie' blindness before. A mate of mine years back would sit and watch videos of her in tranced out state. Fool - buxom dark haired gypsy ladies have always been where it's at.

Just another skinny blonde as far as I'm concerned, but if it works for you - we'll just have to agree to differ.

(Wierd coincidence - Kylie's latest single has just come on the radio - sounded like a very weak version of Goldfrapp's Black Cherry. I rest my case.)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#103 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 08:24:03 am
Everyone likes Kylie coz she's cute and smiley and has a fine ass - I don't think it has *anything* to do with her music. I have been subjected to a whole album whilst in somebody elses car and I can safely say it was utter shite.

The current Natasha B track was on the radio on my way home last night....."ooooh, I bruise easily.....so treat me gently...." whine whine simper simper. Let me tell you Natasha, I'll be the first in line to beat you black and blue with a baseball bat. Shut up and fuck off.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#104 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 11:04:26 am
Quote from: "saltbeef"
at school i was friends with thom yorke's cousin (in a before they were famous kind of way) anyway met him at some wierd family gathering, he didn't seem particularly meek. anyway we'll agree to differ.
 as for g'n'f'n'r they're well good. obviously you've lost your mind appetite for destruction is one of the best rock and roll albums ever.

I am actually a Radiohead fan - I just think Thom Yorke sometimes doesn't do himself any favours image wise (though I doubt he gives a toss).  Though I have to admit that my interest has waned from Kid A onwards.  There's a place for intelligent rock - and their earlier stuff (Pablo, Bends, OK Computer) was probably the best around.  Although their later stuff is still very good I just think there are other bands that do the same sort of thing, but  better.  For my money, Mogwai, GSYE, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, (and maybe 65daysofstatic) all make a better stab of expressing the lyrically inexpressable via pure sound - Radiohead's problem for me is that they've trespassed on the grounds of masters and not gone far enough.

GnR - saw them play at Leeds a couple of years ago - I'd forgotten how many great songs they'd done.  Reminded being 15 and having arguments about  whether ' use your illusion 1 or 2 was best.  Sometimes you need prodding away from being a fucking holier than thou indie snob and just ROCK!

Not sure about the Dears LP (no cities left?) - bought on the strength of loads of heavy recommendations and just though it was a bit standard  - earnest rock fronted by a morrissy impressionist.  Perhaps I ought to give it another chance.  Curent favourite LP though is Funeral by Arcade Fire  - proper bo' .

PS my darkest ever musical moment - a 4 hour car trip with someone who insisited on playing the Space album on repeat all the way (Neighbourhood, Female of the Species etc).  Torute via the medium of sonic shite - to this day I start screaming uncontrollably if I hear a scouse accent.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#105 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 12:33:56 pm
my darkest musical moment... in a car from ceuse to ailefroide in a car with only a cd player(radio didn't work) roxette on repeat...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#106 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 12:37:27 pm
Everyone likes Kylie coz she's cute and smiley

he's a lyrical gangsta

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#107 Most overrated bands/artists
April 06, 2005, 01:04:32 pm
The current Natasha B track was on the radio on my way home last night....."ooooh, I bruise easily.....so treat me gently...." whine whine simper simper. Let me tell you Natasha, I'll be the first in line to beat you black and blue with a baseball bat. Shut up and fuck off.

WAT?!?! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A tad extreme :D , lmao!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#108 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 07:25:26 pm

I felt this needed dragging up again. Why?

I'll tell you why...

That CUNT Robbie Williams' single, "Rude Box". This is one of the shittest records I have ever heard in my life. In fact, words fail me to even begin to describe how shit it it is - aaaaghghghghghg!!!!

Duma

• forum hero
#109 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 07:29:00 pm
he is a cock - and I'm not that happy with you for reminding me of it, but I reckon it was worthwhile to see one of FOAM's signatures again - where are you?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#110 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 07:52:27 pm
Pixies, Nirvana, Interpol, Lil Kim, Atomic Kitten, REM, Craig David, David Gray, Evan Dando, Hole, Fatboy Slim, Paul Weller, Acker Bilk, Smashing Pumpkins, Lionel Richie, Barry White, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes, Metallica, Chemical Brothers, Beyonce, Jimi Tenor, The Cure, Oasis, Blur, Skunk Anansie, Ice T, Ice Cube, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Korn, Dave Lee Roth, Pussycat Dolls, Mr Bungle, Robbie Williams, Cher, Sinead O'Connor and last but certainly not least, the worst band on the planet The fuckin Cranberries.  Scum.  Die.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#111 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 07:56:39 pm

I'd beg to differ on a few of those, but agree with most of them....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#112 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 08:12:24 pm
And very definitely Guns n Roses.  That's just retard shit.  Queen are amazing.  Jim: you're weird!

Björk: fuck her. 
Joss Stone: fuck her twice.
Michael Jackson: drown him.
Brandon Block:  castrate.
Suzi Quattro:  beat to death.
Henry Rollins:  tattoo to death.
Eurythmics:  whatever.
Paul Van Dyk:  drug him!
Dave Clarke:  feed him to death.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 08:34:00 pm by Houdini »

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#113 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 09:53:43 pm
Oasis - like life in limbo without the interesting fun parts.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - atleast for the past 5 years have been tedious.
The Raconteurs - bought it -  shelved it - binned it?
REM - drone
Arctic Monkeys...........right
Kasabian - proper horse
Morrissey - I stress Morrissey not The Smiths
Norah 'I make Burt Bacharach look avant garde' Jones
The Streets - chores

Oh and I think I spotted the cure in a bad list - so so wrong you musical doyle.

dave

#114 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 10:12:03 pm
The Streets - I can do without these shitballs. words cannot express my utter contempt for their music. But that contempt is surpassed by my total loathing of our next contender:

Robbie fucking Williams - jesus H christ if I see Kate Thornton on another "I love the top 100 bet number 1s ever" programme spouting some shite like "The best thing about robbie is all the girls love him, and all the blokes do too!" then I'll stick a fucking piano leg through her idiotic face. What kind of men do you knock about with Kate? blind deaf mentalists? All the men i've ever known think he's a cunt. How dare he invade my conciousness with such shite as "ohh yeah I did and load of drugs and i was really fucked up but now i realised that was a bad idea", so what do you want williams, a fucking medal? who would have thought snorting your own not-inconsiderable body weight in cocaine would perhaps not be a wise idea? you stupid fuck. go back to dancing in dungarees, leathe hotpants and greasy curtain at the back of the stage at take that gigs. Fuck me Barlow's got a lot to answer for letting you near a mic. and you can't find happyness with anyone? heres the worlds smallest violin mate.  :boohoo:

I'm note sure i could describe michael jackson as overrated. OK his output for the last 15years has been shite and he's a mental excentric paedophile, but those minor flaws aside the early stuff is/was dynamite. Would have been better for his artistic integrity (and perhaps for a few kids backsides) if some obsessed fan had gunned him down in the late 80s like happened to that Lennon mofo. harsh I know but true. :oops:

Whoever said Queen were good, I salute you. Glad to know me and dense aren't alone. :bow:

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#115 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 10:29:33 pm
robbie williams is a huge target for Most over rated artist. Fair enough the lad is a gurning, 'Celtic' tattoed, talentless, entertainer type, pantomime queen that could potentially blind you into thinking Justin timberlake was worth a shite. But still at least when his albums are being sold next to the pork scratchings in petrol stations we can all feel self righteous. Oasis however contrive to be accepted as a good band............ ?

Pantontino

• forum hero
#116 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 11:51:09 pm
Surfer Rosa by the Pixies is one of the greatest records ever made - that's an indisputable fact as much as water makes you wet.

I never really got Dexy's the first time round, but listening to Mark Lamarr's late night R2 show I've had my head turned of late. They might have been geniuses after all. Are they over rated anyway?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#117 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 01, 2006, 11:58:31 pm
I'm note sure i could describe michael jackson as overrated. OK his output for the last 15years has been shite and he's a mental excentric paedophile, but those minor flaws aside the early stuff is/was dynamite. Would have been better for his artistic integrity (and perhaps for a few kids backsides) if some obsessed fan had gunned him down in the late 80s like happened to that Lennon mofo. harsh I know but true.

:thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#118 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 02, 2006, 08:16:53 am
Pixies - Trash.  Likeable trash.  But trash nevertheless.  Owned/played them all Come On Pilgrim my favourite, but later, when you grow up hear more from those years and root around, you realise they filled a gap in a particularly unfertile time in rock musics' history.  Reformations are unforgivable.  After Surfa Rosa, they stopped pushing and maybe should've broke up while ahead vis a vis Big Black.  :yawn:  You've been had!

Queen are great, and they are: hugely influential.  Full of humour and pathos, strut, and scratch and sniff.  Queen, an odd but great band.  (Caff has a massive weakness for Queen.)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#119 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 02, 2006, 09:44:31 am
Time for Sonic Youth to die too. 

This band used to be amazing, even with Kim Gordon.  Now they tread water comfortably having defined their sound. 

Did I say Dylan?  Dylans' music is over-rated.
Pavement.  Always were over-rated, now we look back on shit music fondly.  They sucked live.
Luke Slater.  Has his moments, but was he ever that good?

The Stone Roses.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#120 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 02, 2006, 10:19:54 am
The eagles I am with the big lebowski on the eagles die eagles die, you will take it easy no more.

underground

• forum hero
#121 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 02, 2006, 04:03:02 pm
Time for Sonic Youth to die too. 

This band used to be amazing, even with Kim Gordon.  Now they tread water comfortably having defined their sound. 

I quite rate some of the SYR stuff...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:40:13 pm by underground »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#122 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 02, 2006, 05:16:55 pm
Luke Slater.  Has his moments, but was he ever that good?
Not heard any of his stuff for ages but his old stuff was quality. He was a damn good DJ the few times I saw him too.

The Stone Roses
Hmmm....Fools Gold is one of my fave tracks ever so I'll have to disagree.

Dave Clarke rocks as well. Are you mad? ;)

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#123 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 03, 2006, 01:38:52 am
Stone Roses no way, now Oasis totally totally over rated. :thumbsdown:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#124 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 03, 2006, 02:33:04 am
Stone Roses.  From their inception to their death, they peddled backwards: that was their way.  Some choose to forge new ground, mine new territory.  The Stone Roses...   I can't be arsed...

Dave Clarke's lost it.  Check last mixes and new album for details.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal