UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 122418 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#125 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 03, 2006, 08:22:43 am

You mean World Service 2, or something else? I rate it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#126 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 03, 2006, 12:41:27 pm
RE Clarke: No Bubs.  Devil's Advocate.  Worlds Serives 2 poor also.  He loose his techno soul and find it in electro (he got good taste in electro). 

It's a personality thing.  The arrogant superstar DJ, the fancy wagons, all that scowling, over eating food I can't afford, big cigars and overly large cut crystal brandy glasses being swirled palms-up by his pudgy little hands...  Going on the total package - gone off him.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#127 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 03, 2006, 04:08:27 pm

There's a classic track on Devil's Advocate - eerrrm can't remember the name though. WS/WS2 are both excellent imho, but I also think the electro stuff is better than the techno.

I don't care about his lifestyle, it's the music that's important. Fuck, if we start getting into personality/lifestyle issues then a whole slew of artists would be ready for the noose :)

I think he's one of the few who doesn't fit the superstar DJ cliche tbh. He's not into drugs, is quite political and just ploughs his own groove. Didn't see him playing shite trance for years just coz it was trendy in Ibiza, did we?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#128 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 07:57:11 am
I don't care about his lifestyle, it's the music that's important. Fuck, if we start getting into personality/lifestyle issues then a whole slew of artists would be ready for the noose :)

Good idea in principal, but I'd get bored with that pretty quick.  Sometimes the music and it's maker can't be seperated (not sure Clarke's a good exaple of this though) and that makes it all the more interesting.  To be frank, I just don't like the look of him and his jowls/scowls.  What the fuck's your problem Clarke?  Buy a new smile!

Lenny Kravitz.  A man whose hair-do's change on the month every month.  Strut!  Wiggle! Thrust!  Shred my axe!  Pout!  Slay your face!                                 Give it a rest Len, go home!

There are so many juicy ways Kravitz could die that I can't decide.  Maybe strapped to a rocket, or beaten to death with an ex-Hendrix guitar, eat his own afro...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:11:17 am by Houdini »

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#129 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 09:56:42 am
Having listened to The Feeling via various radio stations over the last week, can I ask the question when did Supertramp make a comeback?
Shite, umitigated shite

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#130 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 09:59:51 am
Dylan can be forgiven for any percieved crimes because of Blood on the Tracks (I also rate Blonde on Blonde and Nashville Skyline, and Chronicles is an excellent book), the same goes for Sonic Youth and Daydream Nation. And as for Pavement, are you serious? I still listen to this band all the time, they were consistently good.

Let's stick to hanging the real villains: Robbie Williams, Lenny Kravitz, Cliff Richard, Bon Jovi etc

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#131 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 10:16:33 am
Robbie Williams; that new track is fucking awful, thought he couldn't get any worse. Would love to do a wolf creek on him.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#132 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 10:19:32 am
Pavement=slacker poop.  Always got the impression they could do better but couldn't be arsed.  Steven Malkmus=meh.  Their early idiot drummer, oh dear, OK for raising a pissed smile.. & handing out grapes too... (tres wacky!  Not exactly soloing Bathtime with The Waterboys on your headphones, is it?!).  but hey!  You say Tomaytaz!

Nashville Skyline is great esp. for Lady lay lay.  But so is Isis on t'other LP.  Today he MOR.  Against the highs of his earlier output he looks reet-tired.  All very Elder Statesman but a disappointing one.  Bit like Clapton.  Do they bring the rock?  

Agree.  The Williams' track scrapes new and even for him appauling lows.  I feel slightly embarrased for him, hope he hasn't blown all the cash.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#133 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 01:27:56 pm
Clapton is an interesting case. Feted as some kind of musical god, but I've always found his output to be curiously soulless, and I quite like guitar solos (if they are well executed and don't go on too long, that is).

The Waterboys - you tempt me to dismiss this lot of dreamers as the Levellers of their generation, but then again they were never that cheesy, or that shite. Although, they were the sort of band mostly liked by people who don't like music.

Pavement - go back and listen to Slanted..., crooked rain and Brighten the Corners. So many great moments. I love this band.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#134 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 04, 2006, 02:18:59 pm
Find a best of Cream CD.  That's where you'll find Claptons' best work.  Slowhand is also acceptable but nothing compared to Cream.  Great power-trio blues rock.  Great drums.  He's had a mad & sad life has Eric.

Crossroads by Cream

Pavement (note godawful rhythm section & other ubiquitous naffness to be spotted everywhere in this song) A disgraceful live act.

SY used to be this good
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:53:33 pm by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#135 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 07:15:37 am
Artic Monkeys  eh... Trucker Apes?

Start again.  Arctic Monkeys.  How they have just sold 360 000 LP's in one week is a mystery.  How?  How?

Eureka!  I've got it!  We're idiots!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#136 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 07:38:30 am
well, the esteemed panel for the mercury would disagree with you there houdi

at least one can find solace in the fact that being awarded the mercury is the industry equivalent of the black spot, even franz ferdinand haven't been quite as bright since..

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#137 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 08:30:48 am
The esteemed Mercury Panel can eat the peanuts outta my shit!

Dump Foragers.

Franz Ferdinand - Gang of Four for retards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#138 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 08:53:34 am

at least one can find solace in the fact that being awarded the mercury is the industry equivalent of the black spot, even franz ferdinand haven't been quite as bright since..

I hope so. Now that they have administered the kiss of death to the monkeys they will disappear into obscurity.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#139 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 09:00:43 am

Doubt it - a 2nd album probably won't be far away. I really rate them.

Shame Hot Chip didn't win though.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#140 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 10:22:53 am

On the jazz tip... some _might_ say that Miles is overated, I mean aside from Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew and maybe Dark Magus.. what else did he do that's worth listening to repeatedly?

i just spluttered my lungs up.

just in the last week or so  -  miles and the modern jazz giants, in a silent way (almost definitely my most played cd), live evil,  birth of the cool, tribute to jack johnson, my funny valentine (live in concert), milestones. (i should admit that i have been driving quite a lot)

and sketches of spain, someday my prince will come, bitches brew, pangea, cookin' fairly recently too.

so, my overrated list:

the james taylor quartet
radiohead
alanis morissette
sting
badly drawn boy
cher
wynton marsalis
daft punk
enya
steve miller
blondie

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#141 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 10:30:03 am
Badly Drawn Boy needs to be Hung, Drawn & Quartered. 

Sti...  Sti...   Sti...  No, I can't do it!

And lets not forget My Bloody Valentine.  A career in cack.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#142 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 11:31:02 am
Shoot me down in flames....

Public Enemy.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#143 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 11:53:07 am
how fucking dare you!  :jaw:

they haven't aged too well tho...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#144 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 11:57:23 am
He who dares. 

That guy with the clock-thang!  On a par with Bez.  Marginally better perhaps? 

It'll take a nation of millions to make me listen to Public Enemy again.

We glossed over this motherfucker far too quickly:

Yes, dressing in purple will both thicken & lengthen your penis!  (I'm lovin' that bum-fluff thing on his top lip so bad!)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#145 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 12:03:33 pm
i'd lick his dirty sanchez

my bad

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#146 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 03:29:59 pm
my overrated list:
U2
oasis
pink floyd

i dont mention all the likes of 50cents, christina aguilera, britney, p diddy, mariah carey, cos they obviously have nothing to do with music.

HEY HO LETS GO

AndyR

• forum hero
#147 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 07:09:35 pm
the same goes for Sonic Youth and Daydream Nation. And as for Pavement, are you serious? I still listen to this band all the time, they were consistently good.

Let's stick to hanging the real villains: Robbie Williams, Lenny Kravitz, Cliff Richard, Bon Jovi etc

Agree - last Sonic Youth album was genius, and Pavement were always great.

I think we're veering into some subtle personal interpretations here, rather than concentrating on the real bastards.....

cofe

• forum hero
#148 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 07:13:55 pm

Doubt it - a 2nd album probably won't be far away. I really rate them.

Shame Hot Chip didn't win though.

ditto.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#149 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
September 06, 2006, 07:16:04 pm
Yup, U2 and Oasis can sod off and shut up. If I see another R & B video in the gym, shopping centre, anywhere I will most likely explode. And hence in that category falls any contemporary charting 'hip-hop' outfit. Those frauds are so far removed from the original B-Boy style it's untrue.

Can I also add a rant against Bob Dylan, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand. Most importantly, I fucking hate Outkast. Cue "Hey-Ya is amazing what are you on about!?". Cue in your face you idiot. Sorry I'm angry today fellows, it's the seasonal change I'm sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal