UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 121291 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 10:14:33 am
So who has you reaching for the off button?

For me, I nominate two:

U2
Holy fuck, why does anyone like U2? I just don't get it - Bono can sing but his voice is horrible, and they churn out remarkably similar middle of the road "hit" after "hit". Over polished, unimaginative and completely boring.

50 Cent
Man he pisses me off - I now turn the radio off whenever I hear his dirgey voice start up. Ok, In Da Club was a good track, I'll give him that, but everything I've heard since is the same old cliched gangsta nonsense delivered with a vocal style that you can only get by being shot in the face. Shame the attackers couldn't do a proper job :lol:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 10:32:01 am
Captain Beefheart

for "avant garde genuis" read four words - can't. write. a. tune.
same Zappa.

Abba

Oh my lordy, does this band's back catalogue serve any other purpose than to keep drunken, histrionic women dancing at mobile discos? I once made a new year's resolution to never dance to Abba, one that was surprisingly easy to keep.

Coldplay

Like any decent indie-ish guitar act nowadays, victims of Radio 1 / BBC trailer overplaying, resulting in everything they do grating on me before it's even been released. Also partly responsible for the rise of soundalike acts like Keane, Snow Patrol et al, all of whom I can live without.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#2 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 10:39:51 am
I'd have to say:
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
I'm just so sick to death of their so called quirkiness jump around and act like dumb fuckers.
Just write some decent music for fucks sake.

Green Day
American Idiot. Great song.
Shame everything else on that's made me not want to buy the album.

Nirvana
Played to death on MTV2, kerrang! etc.
They were an ok band, he's dead move on, Dave Grohl did why can't you its not like they were actually that good a band

Then there's practically every other band under the sun.
I'll post more later.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:04:37 am
Eric Clapton - I just don't get it. Why is this tedious dullard treated like some sort of god.

I would also say Robbie Williams, Cliff Richard and Elton John - if you rate any of these cnuts you shouldn't be allowed to breed.

As for Captain Beefheart - whilst I accept that much of his output makes for 'difficult' listening, that cannot be said of Clear Spot. This is simply one of the greatest albums ever recorded. If you don't like Clear Spot, you don't like music.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:07:55 am
Scissor Sisters _ Sounds like the bastard son of an unholy union involving Robbie Williams, Elton John and the Bee Gees.

The Darkness _ A bad joke thats gone on too long and wasn't funny in the first place. Just an excuse for gimps to enjoy terrible music under the prettence of irony.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:09:31 am
Quote from: "Bubba"

For me, I nominate two:

U2
Holy fuck, why does anyone like U2? I just don't get it

A rhetorical question eh... it just has to be U2, they are so far out on the overrated scale they set an artistic 'event-horizon' which is impossible to surpass without somehow bending the laws of physics.  I'm sure if you looked up 'overrated' in the Oxford English Dictionary it would have U2 listed as the perfect example of the phrase.

I can only put it down to some sort of consensual mass hallucination that occured sometime in the mid eighties when I was at home off school with the flu.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:15:55 am
Also raising my ire....

Faithless - What the f*ck?  Isn't this sh*t just stadium rock for cheesy ravers?

Massive Attack - One OK track and somehow Blue Lines is one everyones top ten album lists.

I'll second Bonjoy's Scissor Sisters.. worse than listening to your Mum and Dads Bee Gees/Elton John/Billy Joel tapes sat in the back of a fume filled Cortina on the way to a cold summer holiday in the 70's..

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:28:20 am
Simply Red/ Mick Hucknall - now i know its easy to take the mick out mick, the charlie drake of cod white boy soul but for fucks sake.....the highlight for me has to be stuck in  dave peggs skoda circa 1987, pissing down on Apt campsite with the bastard hucknalls first album going round and round and round for three soddin days. Jeez, to top the non descript blandness of pimply red is the dirge of hucknalls solo stuff, read that as covers of alright songs done in that awful wail..........
no wonder there are whole websites dedicated to haiting this twat

AndyR

• forum hero
#8 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:33:06 am
Quote from: "Falling Down"

For me, I nominate two:

U2
Holy fuck, why does anyone like U2? I just don't get it

A rhetorical question eh... it just has to be U2, they are so far out on the overrated scale they set an artistic 'event-horizon' which is impossible to surpass without somehow bending the laws of physics.  I'm sure if you looked up 'overrated' in the Oxford English Dictionary it would have U2 listed as the perfect example of the phrase.

I can only put it down to some sort of consensual mass hallucination that occured sometime in the mid eighties when I was at home off school with the flu.

I'm with you there - you should try living in ireland - every new release of the same-bland-song-given-a-different-title brings forth another deluge of tosh on the radio about it being 'their best single yet'.  Spare me.

Also, there should be a special booth in record shops where you pay for robbie williams cds - as soon as you hand over the money, a trapdoor should open, and you should be dumped into a vat of liposuction waste - this should help to deter people from this heinous activity.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 11:59:08 am
I'm so glad there's some other U2 haters out there - I thought I was the only one :)

I heard a Coldplay live thing on the radio the other day and it was truly terrible.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#10 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 12:02:49 pm
I'm so glad there's some other U2 haters out there - I thought I was the only one :)

I agree whole-heartedly, in terms of how shite and overrated U2 are...

We are legion.

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 12:13:39 pm
The rolling fukin stones.
George Micheal.
Micheal Jackson.
Plus all this stuff they call R&B these days.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 12:20:59 pm
Add Phil Collins to the list.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#13 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 12:59:26 pm
id like to add anything hyped as ....'the future of rock and roll'
which usually means some post modern pastiche of a number of old acts with band memebers wearing vintage styling(80's at the moment) same with the hiarcuts(witness the current feather cut revival) and one good song and a whole album of shit ones.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 01:19:06 pm
Paul Weller - Everyone else seems to love him, I don't get it. Boring beyond measure. And best mates with chav-scum Oasis.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 01:29:11 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Oasis.

And that reminds me - Oasis...wtf? They are truly overrated.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#16 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 01:40:26 pm
Oasis - tossers but brother that isn't liam is occasionally funny
U2 - cunts
Robbie Williams - absolute twat!
Coldplay - chris martin ffs, don't make me laugh, hahaha
The Darkness - never understood why they are rated
50 Cent - candyshop is a travesty of a song
Green Day - morons
Avril Lavigne - words can't describe how much i h8t this 2 ft singing goblin

nik at work

• forum hero
#17 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 02:01:35 pm
The Sissor Sisters are indescribably bad. Their music is awful and that masacre that they performed on Pink Floyd is unforgivable.

Eminem. Sorry but I can only listen to so many tracks containing the lines 'here's slim shady' and 'shady's back' (or words to that effect) before I start thinking that someone is perhaps not quite as creative as people think. Although he is very good at talking fast, a great skill I'm sure...

AC/DC. People are fucking demented about this band, I am not.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#18 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 03:38:31 pm
Problem with the likes of Weller and the Stones is that once upon a time they were amazing (I was a massive Jam fan in my youth). I just wish they'd stopped making music before they lost it.

Agree about Faithless - they're so deep maaaan! Yeah, right. Shit, formulaic dance dirge for people who normally go to see Texas or Mariah Carey/Celine Dion in concert (or I suppose the modern equivalent, that queen of mediocrity: Dido). I was asked recently if I wanted to go to a Faithless gig. I nearly choked on my pint, ffs do I look like a moron? I think my wife is going - grounds for a divorce as far as I'm concerned.

One of my other pet hates is Offspring - a monumentally shit band who have been a source of irritation to me for years. Their international success is a total mystery. I do not understand what the attraction is/was. I have actually seen them live when they did a gig with the superb Quicksand. The crowd ignored Quicksand, but went mental when Offspring came on. An astonishing display of collective stupidity.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#19 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 04:09:40 pm
Yes but are Quicksand bouncy and fun?
No
Do they have lyrics that are deep and have something of a meaning?
More than likely if they're anything like Rival Schools.
Now take these two factors add them to the fact that we live in a world populated almost entirley by mindless fuckwits who can't comprehend deep music and there you go.

I would like to add Queens of The Stone Age to the list.
What a pile of toss, and even worse now after the sacking of Nick Oliveri.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#20 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 04:17:48 pm
I agree with most of these postings, but I'd argue that being overplayed to death by Radio1 or otherwise is out of a bands control. Snow Patrol are a  case in point, personally I think Final Straw is an amazing album from a band who have been improving with every album and have slogged it out for years to make it, then a few thousand plays of the sublime 'Run' on R1 and everyones sick of them. 'Supporting new music' MY ARSE. Playing back to back MMM, Fido-Sent and Gwen 'Not-rich guv, honest' Stephani. or overplaying to death the odd decent song they latch onto. Hmm.

Personal hatred: Agree with Pantontino about Dido, one in a series of albums owned by people who don't actually listen to music. Your honour, I present the usual suspects:
- Dido
- Norah Jones
- David Gray
- Joss Stone
- Coldplay
- Jamie Cullum

Oh yeah, and I like Green Day as well, even if they have become main stream recently. :?

cofe

• forum hero
#21 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 04:36:33 pm
is anyone else tired of joss stone's jaw?

jamie cullin can play the piano standing up while wearing jeans, a blazer and a t-shirt. its funny how you never see him in the same room as harry houfuckingdini.

i hate u2.

cofe

• forum hero
#22 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 04:41:03 pm
and while i'm at it. embrace were shit years ago. then 8 years later or whatever some class A penis has given them another record deal and they're churning out more shit.

why can't everyone make good tunes like autechre?

nik at work

• forum hero
#23 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 05:25:44 pm
Oh how did I forget dido - a one friend says "music to die to"...

And just to broaden the scope ever so slightly, I do find Handel to be a tedious waste of ear use. And all jazz 'greats' (with the exception of the one guy who is ace who I can't remember the name of) should in all probability have not really bothered trying to make my life a misery. I just don't listen to you,  you're wasting your time.

And anybody who warbles instead of actually singing. I'm not impressed, now fuck off...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 05:32:07 pm
Oh god, David Gray - bores me to tears but for some reason half the country seem to have an album of his. And as for Dido - she can fuck off for her insipid dullness. The track Eminem sampled is ok I guess but the rest is tosh.

Norah Jones is ok if you're in the mood but a bit boring as well. Joss Stone? I was a big fan when I first heard her and I think she's got a lot of potential but i just don't really like any of her songs that much.

I was going to write off anyone who's been to stage school but I quite like Amy Winehouse.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal