UKBouldering.com

the bouldering scene (Read 20108 times)

sharkey

• addict
#50 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:11:39 pm
FFS Come on guys don't fall for it, its common Knowledge that Big Annie is one of SOC multiple personalitys.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#51 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:17:36 pm
Oh come on - she's been offering people lifts for gods sake. I don't think anyone would turn up wanting a lift to find Si O in a wig...

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#52 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:18:02 pm
:lol:

tc

• junky
#53 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:22:44 pm
Quote from: "tc"
Hi Annie,
did you belay or photograph him on any of the E8 repeats (Caution, Bungles Arete, The Very Big and the Very Small) or on the Mull E8 claimed?

Or when he was working his F9a project - the one that was posted on 8a.nu and Scottish Climbs?

cofe

• forum hero
#54 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:26:48 pm
this is more entertaining than a chimpanzee dressed as a cowboy riding a tricycle while juggling my oranges and bonjoy's apples

BoulderHog

• addict
#55 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:33:59 pm
Even better if Si continued the attempt to disguise, it would be like Janet and Michael Jackson, everyone knows they're the same person, but he carries on regardless. Big Annie would conveniently step out of the room to go to the toilet, Si would then stroll in offering you a cup of tea. The drive to the crag would be interesting 'urmmm, yes, big Annie prefers to travel in the boot'

BoulderHog

• addict
#56 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:38:15 pm
Fingers: You want proof?

Everyone: We want proof!

Fingers: You want proof?

Everyone: WE WANT PROOF!!

Fingers: YOU WANT PROOF? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOF!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#57 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:45:25 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
like Janet and Michael Jackson, everyone knows they're the same person

Damn, you're right  :shock:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#58 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:52:10 pm

u want the proof boulderhog, :stubs cigarette out in ashtray and knowingly blows smoke out of mouth: pah, you can't handle the proof :wink:

BoulderHog

• addict
#59 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:55:34 pm
Agent Fox Boulder: Those 8C's are out there, Scully, I know they are. The search must continue.

tc

• junky
#60 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:02:44 pm
Hi Annie,
did you belay or photograph him on any of the E8 repeats (Caution, Bungles Arete, The Very Big and the Very Small) or on the Mull E8 claimed?

Or when he was working his F9a project - the one that was posted on 8a.nu and Scottish Climbs?

Or witness/spot/photograph complete ascents of any of these (if the landings are as bad as he says, he must have had back-up, surely?): Extradition; It's Over ; Hyper Ballad?; Grim Eiginn? (that's one V14/15 and one V13 in a single trip to Lewis, which would be astonishing); Pit Viper? Darken Down the Day? Yer Aff Yer Heid? Imitation Life?; The Devil Makes Work?; Circadian Rhythm?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#61 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:13:40 pm
Agent Fox Boulder: Those 8C's are out there, Scully, I know they are. The search must continue.

what is the truth though Boulder? if the common man were to find out they're be mass hysteria, riots in the streets. that's why for the past 40 years we, the syndicate, have been carefully monitoring and covering up O'Conor's claims :wink:

right enough of this cos i'm starting to look like a fookin x-files nerd

BoulderHog

• addict
#62 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:18:39 pm
Thanks for the appreciation Finger's, I'm quite proud of the Fox Boulder clever word play, if only there was some way I could put it on my CV...

I have a few amusing Highlander comments I've been storing up as well, but there quite specific so I will bide my time until the chance arises and then BAM

webbo

• forum hero
#63 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:30:15 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
Even better if Si continued the attempt to disguise, it would be like Janet and Michael Jackson, everyone knows they're the same person, but he carries on regardless. Big Annie would conveniently step out of the room to go to the toilet, Si would then stroll in offering you a cup of tea. The drive to the crag would be interesting 'urmmm, yes, big Annie prefers to travel in the boot'

:D i laughed so loud i woke the cat up.

fingers never mind going to see one of si's8c's with him or big annie.just be careful if they ask."want to see some kittens sonny" :wink:

BoulderHog

• addict
#64 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:35:00 pm
."want to see some kittens sonny"

It's time to get those running shoes on at that point (I expect your socks will already be well in place, climbing or not)

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#65 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 08:52:39 pm
:roll: ...  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#66 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 09:48:57 am
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"

actually although i've said this before, this is last line i write on this oh so tiresome subject.

And again this was clearly not the case.

I intend getting to Skye at some point, but i don't think i am really in a position to grade anything above V7, let alone V 13, 14 or 15.

big annie

#67 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 10:53:18 am
So Sharkey, you think that I'm an alias used by Si?  Posts like this are the reason that I registered on UKB from my work computer and use my work e-mail address to get notification of messages etc.  cos' when Si visits he uses my p.c. and I deliberately took this step in order to ensure that we were posting from different computers - check with Bubba if necessary..

TC, I've only been with Si since January so unfortunately I've been unable to witness any of his ascents/repeats before that time (although I have seen plenty of old pics that have never been 'aired').  I have seen him climb at some of the problems in Lewis - not all of them obviously cos I was only there for four days in July and on three of those days it was pissing it down.

I was with him when he found the new 'closed' project on Lewis but unfortunately due to work/family/studying committments I needed to come back down to Ayrshire before he even had the opportunity to start working it.  

Si makes regular trips to Lewis, he's at the advantage of having close friends who live on Ness and Dell and is able to spend weeks up there at a time so do not be disillusioned in thinking that he just scoots up on the ferry for a few days for a wee fumble wi' the rock - he very much leads a nomadic lifestyle at the moment and travels between his main stomping grounds  developing new stuff that he's had his eye on for years.  Did I mention that his best pal Helen Alexander who lives in Lewis  is an artist and photographer? No probably didn't.. I think you'll find that some of his best photies have been taken by her  :wink:

TC, unfortunately I can only visit Skye once a month so I have not been in a position to climb/photograph Si on every one of his problems.  I work full time, I'm in my third year of a degree course at uni, go out climbing regular wi' my own muckers down here in Ayrshire plus I'm a single parent so I cannae be everywhere at once  :P  

Why dont you hook up wi' us the next timeI'm going TC and you can come up to Coire Lagan with us - remember to bring a stun gun and nets though, he goes a bit mental when he gets up there  :D

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#68 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 11:07:15 am
What does the big man do for a living, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not aware that he's on any major sponsorship deal or owt. Just curious.

tc

• junky
#69 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 11:17:53 am
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Annie. I have spent a lot of time north of the border myself over the years and Skye and Lewis are high on my list of places to visit/revisit so I'd love to take you up on the offer of a tour sometime. It's obvious that Si is passionate about his bouldering and it would be good to meet the guy and have a play on his problems. I'll be in touch, probably in the spring when the weather is better.
Mar sin leibh an dràsda.

tc

• junky
#70 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 11:47:15 am
Meanwhile, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, an answer to pretty much any one of the questions I posted above (substitute "who?" for "did you?") would probably go some way to dispelling the unfortunate cloud of confusion that seems to hang over some of Si's claims.

big annie

#71 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 12:24:01 pm
TC, I didn't want you to think that I am deliberately ignoring your question or being evasive but as I'm sure you'll appreciate, I do not want to cross loyalties to Si and start spouting off on a forum about things that are very personal and precious to him, thats not my place - sorry (I think I've probably said enough already  :? )

He is a very approachable guy and I'm sure if you pm him he'll give you a reasonable reply.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#72 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 12:46:46 pm
Fingers, perhaps you should go and read the article first before you start jumping to conclusions. Here's a section from it:

"I sincerely hope that the cloud of doubt hanging over O'Connor is dispelled. Maybe one of these days he'll be spotted cranking something like The Ace at the Plantation on a busy day, and all criticism will dissolve. But for now it seems that we have reached a stage in modern climbing culture where isolated activists, such as O'Connor, need credible witnesses or video evidence for claimed ascents.
I'm not suggesting that every ascent should be illustrated by a slick media package or proven by an endorsement from another respected rock star. Just that that a solid base of witnessed or filmed ascents is established. Once you're in the ball-park, good old-fashioned trust will once again suffice."

What exactly is so unreasonable about that?

I chose to write the piece in the mag because I wanted to address the issue in a formal and respectful fashion. I'm quite willing to continue the discussion on this forum, under the watchful eye of Bubba's considered moderation of course.

Si is making very public claims to world class climbing standards - if you do that, as far as I'm concerned you need to establish your own credibility. Credibility comes from being seen climbing well by other credible climbers, or to a lesser extent through video footage.

Steve Dunning had to do it, and interestingly he told me recently that although the initial slagging that he recieved left him disillusioned, he soon realised that it was up to him to clear his own name. He now firmly believes that if you want to shout about your achievements, you must bear the burdon of establishing that critical level of credibility. For Steve this is actually pretty easy to do: aside from the video footage he released, turn up at Kilnsey any day in the summer and you're likely to see him cranking hard routes and boulder problems. He also has an army of friends and climbing partners from throughout his climbing career that are willing to bear testiment to his ability. (I've seen him throw laps on a grit V10, on a day so hot and greasy that Mark Katz was falling off V4s!)

TC is right, there are simple questions that need answering. Surely Si wants to clear his name; I know if I was in his position I would go out of my way to prove the doubters wrong.

The only person who can make this go away, is Si.

The ball is in his court.

dave

#73 the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 03:15:27 pm
Word to quentin

Kim

• forum abuser
#74 Re: the bouldering scene
October 16, 2004, 03:46:23 pm
Quote from: "big annie"
TC, I didn't want you to think that I am deliberately ignoring your question or being evasive but as I'm sure you'll appreciate, I do not want to cross loyalties to Si and start spouting off on a forum about things that are very personal and precious to him, thats not my place - sorry (I think I've probably said enough already  :? )

He is a very approachable guy and I'm sure if you pm him he'll give you a reasonable reply.

This is what I don't get. He's got an 8a.nu scorecard, he posts on t'interweb about his problems, etc.
I don't see how answering tc's questions about what you've seen him climb is spouting off or crossing loyalties. Si himself posts about his new problems, so he obviously isn't bothered about that info being in the public domain, so why can't you back him up? After all, the easiest way to dispell all the criticism Si receives is for people like yourself to at least say, yes i've seen him climb x, y, z, whatever, it looked nails, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal