UKBouldering.com

the bouldering scene (Read 20122 times)

dave

#25 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:27:10 pm
its understandalbe, i mean socks like this can really turn a guy's head.

don't tell me you're not tempted. :love:

:wink:

BoulderHog

• addict
#26 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:29:27 pm
:D

I wonder who plays Tony and who plays George? Or maybe they alternate roles each night  

Come to think of it, have SOC and Fingers ever been seen in the same room at the same time??

webbo

• forum hero
#27 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:30:08 pm
maybe that's what he meant by being a special boy.

does si breed puppies. :wink:

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#28 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:30:49 pm
:sex:

Oh Dave, please don't put up pictures like that when I am not in private!!

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#29 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:35:17 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
:D

I wonder who plays Tony and who plays George? Or maybe they alternate roles each night  

Come to think of it, have SOC and Fingers ever been seen in the same room at the same time??

Maybe they are in the eary stages of their relationship and its just cyber bumming.

dave

#30 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:38:30 pm
oh fingers, that such a cheapshot.

for shame.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#31 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:39:49 pm
fingers that cuts like a knife  :cry:

Its even more hurtful cos I've never herd that one before!!

webbo

• forum hero
#32 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:42:43 pm
did something get moderated there as ain't showing here.

dave

#33 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:44:38 pm
i've not modded owt, unless fingers has been retro-deleting his posts.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#34 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:45:10 pm
yeah fingers made a jibe at me and the colour of my hair  :cry:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#35 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:45:34 pm
i wrote summit about tom and greg and a certain colour of hair but deleted it as soon as i posted it. it was childish and stupid... that rings some bells...

cofe

• forum hero
#36 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:47:40 pm
to be fair, simon's thing in the mag is well written. think of the isssue like a potato baking in the oven; he could have reached in and grabbed it when it was done, and he would have got burnt. however, he thought about it and popped an oven glove on first. i don't think he burnt himself.

:roll:

BoulderHog

• addict
#37 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:47:43 pm
Careful, you get any higher on that horse you might fall off and hurt yourself.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#38 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 04:50:01 pm
It was very well written and he should be applauded for bringing the matter to the attention of more people. :clap:

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#39 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 05:03:40 pm
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=103768

Cocktalks view on Pantons article aswell as someone claiming SOC  was a giving lover!!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#40 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 05:04:50 pm
anyone else remember when a member of this forum offered to give someone a lift up to skye from aulcheck :?  that's probably spelt wrong.

did anyone take them up on this offer?

has any of u lot phoned si up, arranged to meet up with him and do sum climbing?

did simon panton ring si up to find out his side of the story?

has he met, spoke or even at least pm'd him?

i ain't on a high horse, i just think it's a shit thing to do, to snipe from a pc and jump on a bandwagon that's been out of control for a long time and will eventually come to a head with a lot  people feeling stupid and looking like daft pricks. so have all the cheap digs and make all the throw away insults u want guyz cos i bet in the long run u'll be the ones lookin bad.

big annie

#41 The bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:27:12 pm
Guys, I get deja vu every time I come on UKB and see a post with Si's name anywhere near it and while I appreciate that some of the postings contain very relevant questions and points I get a tad disheartened at the manner in which the posts become very personally abusive and insulting

I'm up in Skye at least once a month and again I would like to extend the offer of a lift to anyone who would like to visit the island and see the problems.  I appreciate that the prospect of making such a long journey with no guarantee of decent weather might be enough to put some people off but you would at least be able to see the extent of the rock that is up there and also hopefully get a chance to make sense of the topo's and test the grades.

I've seen Si climb many times and I have spotted/photographed  him on some of his problems.  Unfortunately I'm relatively new to bouldering (more of a trad chick myself :wink: ) and I can only pull on measly 6b's so I'm unable to repeat any of his problems and unable to give an opinion on grades etc.  Am I a credible witness?  I'm sure there are gonna be people who will argue that because I'm a weak girl who hits the deck from 6b+'s that I'm unable to be considered as  'credible' but to the doubters out there I can only urge you to make the journey to Skye to see the place for yourselves - trust me you wont be disappointed, some of you might hit the deck like me but what the hell.

I have the advantage of being able to believe Si's claims because I've seen him do a huge number of them and while I appreciate that I am in the minority here it will only be when you see him climb or test his problems will you be able to judge for yourself whether previous posts have been justified.  

I actually feel quite privileged to be able to spend time with him in Skye and up in Lewis, to have seen the problems and see his reactions when he finds new ones and get my daily updates and new photies from him when we're 246 miles apart - but hey thats what belief and devotion does for ya!

p.s. Si's gonna be down in Ayrshire for the next couple of weeks so if you wanna nip up to the island in his absence - feel free

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#42 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:47:01 pm
Congratulations to everybody for managing to have a reasonable debate about Si O without resorting to insults and abuse  :D

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#43 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:47:04 pm
i've pm'd ya annie.

tc

• junky
#44 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:50:58 pm
Hi Annie,
did you belay or photograph him on any of the E8 repeats (Caution, Bungles Arete, The Very Big and the Very Small) or on the Mull E8 claimed?

cofe

• forum hero
#45 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:54:00 pm
Quote from: "tc"
The Very Big and the Very Small

:shock:

BoulderHog

• addict
#46 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 06:54:59 pm
Harmless piss taking and winding up Finger's aside, I for one would like nothing more than to see Si take his place as one of the world's best boulderers, I really would. But I'm one of those incredibly unreasonable people that demands at least some proof to justify my awe and respect. The only way to push this forward is to keep mentioning it, until eventually someone takes notice. These post's are as much of a wake up call to Si as they are to other top boulderers who should be up there visiting and trying these top lines. So I agree with Fingers when he says people should be up there going to visit, damn right they should, sadly though I won't be amongst them, 8C is a tad hard even if it does turn out to be only 8b. I certainly won't be feeling stupid for questioning the grades if they turn out to be genuine, why the hell would anyone feel bad for wanting proof?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#47 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:01:23 pm
Harmless piss taking

harmless? really...

why the hell would anyone feel bad for wanting proof?

u see there's wanting proof and wanting proof.

throwing cheap insults around all the time gets no-one no where.

sadly though I won't be amongst them

you obviously don't want it that badly enough then.

if you're prepared to 'harmlessly' take the piss then u shud be prepared to go and check out his stomping grounds. otherwise shut up and wait till someone else who you deem 'credible' enough does.

Nigel

• forum hero
#48 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:05:20 pm
I certainly won't be feeling stupid for questioning the grades if they turn out to be genuine, why the hell would anyone feel bad for wanting proof?

Fair point and take note FOAM-insulated, I don't think that Si's doubters will feel stupid if (when?) proved wrong. They'll probably just accept it and start to give the proper respect.

In fact I think it goes further than that; most people *hope* that Si is playing straight. Panton certainly does as he made clear several times in his article.

People probably haven't accepted offers of lifts because they haven't been to Scotland!

Agree with Hog that perhaps some of Britain's best should get their heads out of the sand and get over there - the problems look good enough to justify it.

Finally, I thought the best bit of the Bouldering Scene was the picture of me, rather than all this tittle-tattle.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#49 the bouldering scene
October 15, 2004, 07:09:18 pm

There you go soldier, be careful of that shoulder though :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal