UKBouldering.com

Bank Holiday reports (Read 12301 times)

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#50 Bank Holiday reports
May 04, 2004, 07:43:13 pm
Took Friday off work and made it a really long weekend climbing routes in the Lakes with an old mate mainly VS - E1.

The weather was amazing, and it reminded just how good climbing routes in the Lakes can be, just a pity we don't get the weather all the time.  :roll:

Climbed up at Esk Buttress on Saturday - what a crag!

Even got a few hard rock ticks as well over the course of the weekend.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#51 Bank Holiday reports
May 04, 2004, 11:22:02 pm
Quite a nice weekend... I did stuff with ROPES on Sat and Sun so I can't possibly talk about that even if Sat's climbing did also involve BOLTS.

On Monday I went to Pleasely Vale to trash myself before the weather crapped out. Nice weather but still felt very very greasy indeed. I failed on everything, got cross, kicked my rucksac about, sulked for a bit but finally managed to pull it together as it got cooler and did a couple of good problems and went along Monks a few times and got pumped so that was something...

Not exactly the bouldering  expedition of the decade :roll:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#52 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 10:32:14 am
Not that I'm sensitive about criticism :cry: , but...with regard to accusations of overhyping of stuff in the Ogwen Valley - I reckon that is a bit unfair. Not all crags have universal appeal, but most are treasured by at least someone (for whatever reason).

I personally don't rate the Gallt yr Ogof block - but I know some people  who love it. (Perhaps the slabby V2 is the only thing here worthy of 2 stars?)

I've had nothing but positive feedback on Caseg Fraith Lower, and I personally think the easier problems are superb (the V3 arete is arguably the best of its grade in N Wales). The harder stuff is a bit wierd, but you do travel through some very steep territory with funky moves on the V5 and V8.
I tried to reflect the relative quality in the star ratings, and I stand by the star ratings (relative to the rest of N Wales, of course.)
The landing can be damp under the steep bit after rain, but there wasn't any rubbish or lino last time I was there. Maybe the Uni hut has dumped some crap over the wall?

dave

#53 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 10:37:15 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
but...with regard to accusations of overhyping of stuff in the Ogwen Valley - I reckon that is a bit unfair.

when i said overhyped, i think i meant in general, not specifically in the guide or by you.

dave

#54 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 01:28:36 pm
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"

Dave you could get the 4-11 from here:

http://home.t-online.de/home/hary.roeker/chiri.htm

Or you could just get one from the edge if Barnesy's sorted it. He's best of chums with the beast Roeker.

just seen the alps guide in the shop - its a fucking crock, its not even got any of the fucking austrian shit in that i want to know about. only got basically switzerland and ailfroide in it. :evil:

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#55 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 02:02:57 pm
When to Inishmore (one of the Aran islands off the west coast).
Lots of limestone varying from good to sharp.
Beautiful sunshine - too hot!
Good boozing there where even 2 hen and one stag nights out there....

dave

#56 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 02:04:27 pm
that looks fooking good.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#57 Bank Holiday reports
May 05, 2004, 02:06:38 pm
Quote from: "dave"
that looks fooking good.

I think its only fair to say then that its not as good as it looks.
One area the wormhole has very nice the rock the rest is of varying degress of sharpness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal