UKBouldering.com

How many brits would like to climb 8c and above? (Read 16993 times)

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
I would. Anyone else?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
definately me but that would mean a vast amount of weight loss which isn't going to happen.
boo

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
I'd like to, but I'm not happy about the amount of effort required, so I'm going to pass.

JohnM

• junky
I'd like to, but I wanted to climb 8b+ this year and put a load of effort (for me) into that and came close(ish) but still ultimately failed.  I can't maintain a high base level for long periods and seem to have to peak to do hard things.  My peak this year coincided with 5 sessions in a row of horrible humid conditions and getting midged off the crag.  My motivation was destroyed and now i'm not in good condition *sob*.  Therefore 8c is lot further away then I thought.  Maybe if I could move to Spain for 6 months.

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
I'de be happy to climb 8a. :ninja:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Is this a trick question and if I say yes will my in box be flooded with offers to buy patent training programmes from Nigeria?

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
I'd love to but as I'm struggling to do 7c currently it might be quite a long term ambition!  :lol:

ShortRound

• addict
I'd love to but as I'm struggling to do 7c currently it might be quite a long term ambition!  :lol:

I'd love to be able to climb 7c :-[

Doylo

• forum hero
I'd like to, but I wanted to climb 8b+ this year and put a load of effort (for me) into that and came close(ish) but still ultimately failed.  I can't maintain a high base level for long periods and seem to have to peak to do hard things.  My peak this year coincided with 5 sessions in a row of horrible humid conditions and getting midged off the crag.  My motivation was destroyed and now i'm not in good condition *sob*.  Therefore 8c is lot further away then I thought.  Maybe if I could move to Spain for 6 months.

Not acceptable John, think of those prime conditions in September.  I'm stuck with Infanticide if i'm ever climbing well enough and i'm not sure its my bag

nik at work

• forum hero
Surely all halfway keen climbers would like to climb 8c (or 9a, or 9b or...)??
I would certainly like to, I'm not convinced I will though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Either I'm not halfway keen, or your theory is guff.   :-\

nik at work

• forum hero
Surely all halfway keen SPORT climbers would like to climb 8c (or 9a, or 9b or...)??
I would certainly like to, I'm not convinced I will though.
Is that better?

(although I imagine you'd quite like to climb 8c if you're honest, you just would like to do it with no input of effort)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Pink Anasazi.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Yes.

Difficult if you restrict yourself to projecting in this country though, as a combination of conditions and limited choice of route style means that available options are not that many.

Although if Pickles' ascent of True North yesterday is anything to go by, we should all just MTFU and get on with it! :strongbench:

I wonder which the most 'doable' 8cs in the UK would be? for a) boulderers b) fit but weak-ies ?  Please noone start banging on about the grade of unjustified at this point!  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Judging by the percentage of 8as I've tried which I'd like to do, I'd say almost certainly not.

To rephrase the original question, do folk want to climb 8c, or to have climbed 8c?

Doylo

• forum hero
Going by the stats Make it Funky for boulderers. True North for stamjunkies. Pete and Caff thought Infanticide soft 8c so thats the Welsh option.  Neil Carson thought it could be 8c+ (different sequence maybe?)

Doylo

• forum hero
Judging by the percentage of 8as I've tried which I'd like to do, I'd say almost certainly not.

To rephrase the original question, do folk want to climb 8c, or to have climbed 8c?

You tried any outside of the peak JB?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Doylo

• forum hero
That'll be why then, they're not the most inspiring

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I think striving towards something is more enlivening than having already suceeded at it.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
That'll be why then, they're not the most inspiring

;D agreed. Get yourself on The Bulge / Zoolook / The Thumb / The Cider Soak / (probably Statement but haven't been on it...) They are inspiring.

I think striving towards something is more enlivening than having already suceeded at it.
Now that is PHILOSOPHY; and a good point. I couldn't agree more.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Not me.

I find projecting pretty unappealing, hence even at my fittest, a few years ago now, I never really went on a sport route that I didn't think I could do in a day (or perhaps a couple of visits).  The exception was a certain route at the Tor, which is the one 8a on my CV.

The other thing which makes climbing 8c so unappealing, is that my body tends to fall apart when I try hard moves (and the fact I last bouldered in 1983 probably doesn't help).

Nowadays, because I am running out of routes to do, I have started to try working some routes, but it definitely doesn't appeal to me in the same way on sighting does.

I consider myself as keen and ambitious a climber as the next person (albeit with less time, and rather less commitment), but climbing 8c is pretty much the antithesis of what climbing means to me.

Do you think I'm on the wrong board...?  ;)

Neil

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Not me. The effort required would be a ridiculous waste of personal resources. I'm fairly certain I'd get more out of doing a lot of other fun stuff instead.

rodma

• forum hero
Not me. The effort required would be a ridiculous waste of personal resources. I'm fairly certain I'd get more out of doing a lot of other fun stuff instead.

Fun Stuff!

What is wrong with you  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal