UKBouldering.com

Parking at The Works (Read 25525 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 11:44:21 am
I've been hit with a £100 parking fine for leaving the car in the wrong place in The Works car park.  OK, my own stupid fault for parking on yellow lines up against the wall, but it was gone 5.30 and you'd think they'd let things slide after work hours.  So, take care where you park.  Fuck me, £100!!!   :jaw:  :wall:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#1 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 11:51:00 am
first think you should check is, if it is from sheffield council if not you might not have to pay (by which I mean they can't force you to pay).

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 11:51:39 am
Are these things not probably unenforceable (unless it was on the public highway)?
I seem to recall several threads where the sage advice appeared to be tell 'em to get fucked.

Don't take my word for it though, if only Sloper was still here for a definitive answer in Latin wrapped up in Tory propaganda....

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#3 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 11:58:20 am
Are these things not probably unenforceable (unless it was on the public highway)?
I seem to recall several threads where the sage advice appeared to be tell 'em to get fucked.

Don't take my word for it though, if only Sloper was still here for a definitive answer in Latin wrapped up in Tory propaganda....

Thanks for the encouragement chaps.  I shall take it all the way to the European Court of Human Rights, trust me....  :-[

....and I miss him too Nik.   :'(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:02:01 pm
You mean you didn't cycle to the Works?  :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#6 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:14:31 pm
I've been hit with a £100 parking fine for leaving the car in the wrong place in The Works car park.  OK, my own stupid fault for parking on yellow lines up against the wall, but it was gone 5.30 and you'd think they'd let things slide after work hours.  So, take care where you park.  Fuck me, £100!!!   :jaw:  :wall:

The double yellows and cross hatched areas are nothing to do with the others businesses so the after 5.30pm is a red herring.

They are about emergency vehicle access and leaving the correct distance behind a parking space to allow people to get in and out. I think the length of a space including turning space is 6m hence the double yellows up against the wall. Now whether people should be able to get in and out of aspace that is less than 6m long is irrelevant but the emergency vehicle access is a no brainer.

Whether or not the tickets are enforceable ignoring the parking restrictions will make our life and your life harder so please don't ignore them. They are in force 24/7 (BTW the ticketing guy turned up at 10.10pm last night which was quite amusing)

We have a tenants meeting soon and will let people know if there are any changes

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#7 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:18:17 pm

Are you having a laugh?!  I was going to the Sheaf afterwards and there's no way I'm riding a push-bike pissed  :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:24:46 pm

Are you having a laugh?!  I was going to the Sheaf afterwards and there's no way I'm riding a push-bike pissed  :whistle:

Presumably you were going to return for your car the following day then?

Sensible to be cautious cycling pissed though, phone boxes jump out at you from nowhere (I hit one after nine or ten pints went over the handlebars and cracked my head on the pavement, knocking myself out, kind people who found me called an ambulance and I had five stitches in my eyebrow  :oops:).

Much more cautious these days, and will push my bike home if I've had too much to ride it.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#9 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:28:53 pm
The double yellows and cross hatched areas are nothing to do with the others businesses so the after 5.30pm is a red herring.

They are about emergency vehicle access and leaving the correct distance behind a parking space to allow people to get in and out. I think the length of a space including turning space is 6m hence the double yellows up against the wall. Now whether people should be able to get in and out of aspace that is less than 6m long is irrelevant but the emergency vehicle access is a no brainer.

Whether or not the tickets are enforceable ignoring the parking restrictions will make our life and your life harder so please don't ignore them. They are in force 24/7 (BTW the ticketing guy turned up at 10.10pm last night which was quite amusing)

We have a tenants meeting soon and will let people know if there are any changes

All duly noted Graeme and I’m quite prepared to admit I fucked up.  However, £100!  That is just taking the piss and much more likely to encourage people to tell them to shove it!  As for the emergency services red herring, as an ex-firefighter and professional tea drinker, I can assure you you could’ve got a feckin’ BUS behind my car!  However, you’re dead right about the parking restrictions, we should obey them.  However, and again I admit the fault is mine, I haven’t been aware of any of the notices warning me of the fines.  Couldn’t you make it a bit more obvious, ie, hit punters like me on the head as they walk in and say, “OY, stupid, don’t park on the double yellows!”  Only  asking.......

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#10 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:30:22 pm

Presumably you were going to return for your car the following day then?

No, it was all a big fat lie and I'm just an eco-vandal.....

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#11 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:40:36 pm
All duly noted Graeme and I’m quite prepared to admit I fucked up.  However, £100!  That is just taking the piss and much more likely to encourage people to tell them to shove it!  As for the emergency services red herring, as an ex-firefighter and professional tea drinker, I can assure you you could’ve got a feckin’ BUS behind my car!  However, you’re dead right about the parking restrictions, we should obey them.  However, and again I admit the fault is mine, I haven’t been aware of any of the notices warning me of the fines.  Couldn’t you make it a bit more obvious, ie, hit punters like me on the head as they walk in and say, “OY, stupid, don’t park on the double yellows!”  Only  asking.......

Don't worry John I am quite happy to call some of my customers 'stoopid' and tell them to shift their cars but I feel a bit uncomfortable saying that to customers I don't know.

Yesterday I told 3 people to move their cars and was only rude to one of them.

There are plenty of notices up - the blue & white signs all around the car park, a notice on the door and a couple more dotted around the place. PLus it was mentioned on our blog, on Facebook and it's on our website. Problem is people don't read stuff and think stuff doesn't apply to them eg lots of people have said to me they thought it only applies before 5pm despite the fact that the notices say 24/7

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:43:20 pm
So how many parking spots do you have (minus the ones taken up by your staff and the ones with yellow lines) if restrictions are in effect 24/7?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#13 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:45:09 pm
With all the money that you're making, cant you buy out the other businesses in the courtyard, then bulldose them to make more car parking spaces? and possibly a giant ball pool?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#14 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:48:54 pm
Don't worry John I am quite happy to call some of my customers 'stoopid' and tell them to shift their cars but I feel a bit uncomfortable saying that to customers I don't know.

There are plenty of notices up - the blue & white signs all around the car park, a notice on the door and a couple more dotted around the place. PLus it was mentioned on our blog, on Facebook and it's on our website. Problem is people don't read stuff and think stuff doesn't apply to them eg lots of people have said to me they thought it only applies before 5pm despite the fact that the notices say 24/7

I must be REALLY privileged then, because you're always rude to me.....  :whistle:

.......Erm, sorry, but.....BIGGER SIGNS for the old and infirm......  :alky:

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#15 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 12:49:20 pm
With all the money that you're making, cant you buy out the other businesses in the courtyard, then bulldose them to make more car parking spaces? and possibly a giant ball pool?

make a suggestions box from all that old ply

dave

#16 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:02:06 pm
Yo G, can you clarify if we can park in that little triangular bit outside out of office hours? The parking info page on the works website is contradictory on this point.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:11:42 pm

Perhaps you need glasses like Fatdoc?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:16:34 pm
It turned out that fatdoc's eyesight is fine and he's actually just an idiot.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#19 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:17:46 pm
Yo G, can you clarify if we can park in that little triangular bit outside out of office hours? The parking info page on the works website is contradictory on this point.

maybe confusing but not contradictory.

The little triangular car park is out of bounds 24/7, it always has been.

The car parking belonging to Robert Sorby's on Little London Rd ie not on Little London Rd/Athol Rd is ok out of office hours.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#20 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:18:44 pm
It turned out that fatdoc's eyesight is fine and he's actually just an idiot.

....and, therefore, logically, I'm.......?  :-\

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#21 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:20:03 pm
From the signs up around the Works

There is a new parking regime for Centenary Business Park, with tickets being issued if you park in certain spaces. If you park in bays 29-42 or bay 55 you will be issued with a ticket – please read the warning signs that are around the car park.

Also do not park on the double yellow lines or in the cross hatched area or you will be ticketed.

Please, please park considerately and do not obstruct marked doorways.  During very busy periods it may be difficult (if not impossible!) to find a space in the car park. However, alternative car parking is available in the following places…

The car park next to the bridge.

Robert Sorby Tools opposite Centenary Business Park are happy for our customers to use their car parking spaces out of work hours (weekends & weekday evenings) - this does not apply to the small triangular car park.

Considerate road-side parking is available on Little London Road and the surrounding area.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#22 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:25:40 pm

I must be REALLY privileged then, because you're always rude to me.....  :whistle:

So just for you John

Bigger signs for soft shandy drinking southerners who have bad eyesight

and

a louder PA for aged deaf gets - Lucinda read out your number plate twice to move your car. Get some new batteries for your hearing aid.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:31:29 pm
a louder PA for aged deaf gets - Lucinda read out your number plate twice to move your car. Get some new batteries for your hearing aid.
Ah, so you'll be the owner of the Berlingo then?

You could cycle and avoid all this hassle.  In fact if more people cycled.....there would be nowhere to lock your bikes up as there's not masses of rack space  :devangel:

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#24 Re: Parking at The Works
February 15, 2011, 01:36:23 pm
Ah, so you'll be the owner of the Berlingo then?

You could cycle and avoid all this hassle.  In fact if more people cycled.....there would be nowhere to lock your bikes up as there's not masses of rack space  :devangel:

Oh, stop fuckin' preaching Slacker's!  I admitted my guilt several posts back and yes, i'm evill through and through.  However, let he who is without sin etc etc........  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal