UKBouldering.com

The General Election Thread (Read 139139 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#551 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 09:54:01 pm
At least there is nothing left to sell - such as gold, as Gordon sold it all off at the cheapest possible price, at a time when the country should have been stashing for a rainy day or year - such as a recession.

I dunno, there's always the Post Office and the partially re-nationalised rail system. Probably worth a bit more than the IHT scam.

Bowie

• addict
#552 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:01:50 pm
its the perfect outcome. the lovely liberal types on here have their man (or token team) on the inside, whilst the majority of the population who voted tory get the party that they wanted. its one big happy family.
Bye Bye Balls and Brown. Fck off.

tomtom

• forum hero
#553 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:09:14 pm
Well I'm interested to see what happens. I think this was probably the most stable option left by the hung parliament - as it seems labour couldnt find a turd in a cess pit at the moment. I loathe the thought of a tory government - but maybe with suitable regulation (lib dems) it may work  :shrug:

Much of what happens depends on how well the liberals can shackle the crazier tory policies and whether the Torys have actually changed. I guess we'll all have to see what happens. I also wonder how much the Tory press will either get behind the co-allition or do their level best to tear it apart...

A very dignified departure by Brown IMHO. I was amazed at the level sunk to by the tory press this morning - having got rid of the man they have demonised for the last 3 years, they then stated it was all a cynical plot. I hope Cameron takes the press to task as part of his new society..  I suspect not though...

(bowie - remember only 36% of those who voted - voted tory. Thats a long way from the majority of the population...)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#554 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:12:41 pm
Stop all the knee jerk stuff. We have a Tory PM but we do NOT have a Tory government. Wait til the dust settles tomorrow and we know the extent of the deal.

From what I've seen this could well be by far the best outcome Lib Dem supporters could have hoped for after the election result.

Labour correctly realised that there was no point in trying to form a fragile, fragmented coalition but did enough to push the Tories into major concessions to Clegg. They can now regroup, elect a new leader and hopefully become the Labour party again rather than the shower of shit they'd become.

If it's correct and Clegg is to be deputy PM, there will be 6 Lib Dem MPs in the cabinet, the IHT and marriage tax breaks have been scrapped in favour of a move towards lower taxes for the poor, a referendum on the first step to electoral reform is assured, decision on electoral terms is removed from the party in power etc etc etc then this is a FUCKING WIN.

What other outcome could have been preferable?

I'm hearing Cable as Chief Secretary to The Treasury, David Laws as Education Secretary and Paddy Ashdown as Defence Secretary.

Seriously, it could have been SO much worse!

whilst the majority of the population who voted tory get the party that they wanted.

Please. The majority of the population did not vote Tory. Don't be fucking ridiculous.

Even Sloper wouldn't try to argue that point.

cofe

• forum hero
#555 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:14:58 pm
Gideon is chancellor. Fuck me that's depressing. Hopefully daddy can pay off some debts.

tomtom

• forum hero
#556 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:20:52 pm
Gideon is chancellor. Fuck me that's depressing. Hopefully daddy can pay off some debts.

Gideon Osbourne..... sadly his more frequent appearances will mean the news will be like in the Maggie/Major days when I had change channel when the more odius worms (e.g. Ken Baker, Michael Howard) appeared on screen - to prevent myself projectile vomiting... Fuck the politics, he's just such a sneaky eyed slimey turd.

Kim

• forum abuser
#557 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 10:35:31 pm
Jasper speaks sense. At least given the outcome of the election. A Lib-Lab coalition would likely have failed within a year (they'd be savaged for the propping up gordon/new unelected PM thing, and plenty of their own MPs were already rebelling maybe for this reason) and under the onslaught of the tory press would have probably conceded a genuine majority to the tories at a second election. If Labour can genuinely return to the left and electoral reform happens we might be OK next time. I'm just keeping my (green) fingers crossed for an STV option on the referendum. As long as Dave and George don't royally screw us in the meantime.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#558 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 11:03:30 pm

Gideon Osbourne..... sadly his more frequent appearances will mean the news will be like in the Maggie/Major days when I had change channel when the more odius worms (e.g. Ken Baker, Michael Howard) appeared on screen - to prevent myself projectile vomiting... Fuck the politics, he's just such a sneaky eyed slimey turd.

I'm with you on that. I grew up hating those cunts I just see this outcome as being the best of a bad bunch. If Clegg had allowed them to form a minority government (as we discussed) the Tories could have called a quick election while Labour were in disarray and would have won a majority.

I'm not happy to see someone who's head is a fish in a condom (c. Steve Bell) as PM but I will sleep soundly tonight knowing that their power to ruin everything has been massively diminished.

Damn, Liam Fox as Defence Secretary but now talk of Chris Huhne as Home Secretary. I'd take that.

north_country_boy

• junky
#559 Re: The General Election Thread
May 11, 2010, 11:23:23 pm

Most people wont ever forget. An unfortunately I think we'l' be telling a similar story in 30years time......

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#560 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 12:19:27 am
Conservative and Liberal Democrats.

The "Con-dem's?"

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#561 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 09:58:55 am
shit,tories in.get ready for 6 million unemployed and 15% mortgage interest rates

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#562 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 10:12:33 am
Just read that the Lib Dems have got their way on The Lords.

There's to be an elected second chamber.....using PR. If that's right then it's really big news.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#563 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 10:20:45 am
I'm not happy to see someone who's head is a fish in a condom (c. Steve Bell) as PM

Just spat coffee out. Bastard.

Dark days are coming? Going to be interesting for sure.

account_inactive

• forum hero

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#565 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 01:39:12 pm
Fuck me! Where's Sloper when you need him. He's the perfect antidote to all this Tory hate. To listen to you lot anyone would think Ming the Merciless was now in charge.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#566 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 01:52:07 pm
Posh the Chinless is almost as bad.

At least Ming never made out he was a good guy.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#567 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 02:38:52 pm
Just read that the Lib Dems have got their way on The Lords.

There's to be an elected second chamber.....using PR. If that's right then it's really big news.

If that's the case then what you're going to get is basically the Australian federal electoral system with a lower house elected by preferential voting (the other name for "alternative" voting I think) and an upper house elected by proportional representation. It will be interesting to see how they break the country up for upper house election purposes (over here it's done by state, would they do it by county or something over there?)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#568 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 05:06:03 pm
For those of you who keep banging on about the doom of us having a Tory government please read this:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/latest_news_detail.aspx?title=Conservative_Liberal_Democrat_coalition_agreements&pPK=2697bcdc-7483-47a7-a517-7778979458ff

.....and realise that we DO NOT have a Tory government. We have a fucking coalition and that is a very different thing.

It remains to be seen what will happen but there is a LOT of very positive shit in there which I for one am very pleased about and (more importantly) there is a lot of stuff in there that would never have happened under a "Tory government" so get your facts right!

:wall:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#569 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 05:07:21 pm

If that's the case then what you're going to get is basically the Australian federal electoral system with a lower house elected by preferential voting (the other name for "alternative" voting I think) and an upper house elected by proportional representation. It will be interesting to see how they break the country up for upper house election purposes (over here it's done by state, would they do it by county or something over there?)

That's interesting Dave, I didn't know that was the Australian system. No idea how the second chamber will be elected. Where is Sloper?

tomtom

• forum hero
#570 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 05:13:55 pm
Fuck me! Where's Sloper when you need him. He's the perfect antidote to all this Tory hate. To listen to you lot anyone would think Ming the Merciless was now in charge.

I got the impression that Sloper was also full of Tory* hate at the moment...

*'new' torys that is.. as in the wets ones that are now in charge....

Ming the Merciless vs Fish in condom face..

They both have the same number of sylables...  ;)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#571 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 05:47:52 pm

(Or "weren't warned", even. <Sheesh smiley>)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#572 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 05:49:00 pm

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#573 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 06:19:42 pm

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#574 Re: The General Election Thread
May 12, 2010, 07:47:59 pm
I am a wet tory, socially liberal fiscally conservative as one should be.

What worries me is that the government won't ahve the balls to take the knife to the bloated state and start cutting like a crack addled psycho hoping for a role in the next wes craven picture.  At least the markets have responded positively and Merve

And boys and gilrs, do grow up, since when was the Labour party ever 'liberal' or 'progressive' (except in the sense that Mussolini, Honecker and other fascists were progressive)?

Have you forgotten the 13 years of legislation eroding civil liberties, ID cards, summary justice, the surveillence state and so on? :-[

I am actually gald that there's a formal agreement as to the structures of power for one of the things we've lacked over the last 30 years (with a brief hiatus during Major's governments) is an effective oppostion, now we'll have that within government.

So get ready for the repeal of the Identy Card, the increase of personal allowances to £10k a reversal of the rise in national insurance and the sight of hundreds of middle class wankers in non jobs being forced to confront reality.

I think I might just have another gin.  :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal