UKBouldering.com

The General Election Thread (Read 137859 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#625 Re: The General Election Thread
August 09, 2010, 12:51:44 pm
I took a deep breath before composing Nik..

Shouldn't this thread be retitled 'Slopers Manifesto' ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#626 Re: The General Election Thread
August 09, 2010, 12:59:27 pm
The environment no doubt does have a role to play in an educational setting, but it is secondary to the teaching itself.

Look at the tons of "schools" in developing countries that are run out of shacks with thatch roofs.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#627 Re: The General Election Thread
August 09, 2010, 01:49:50 pm
True.

I think naturally, a lot of people's first concern is the standard of teaching but that standard is obviously governed by an innumerable array of factors. Much like a great educator should inspire and motivate an individual, I think it's similarly important that the building fulfills a similar function. Let's not forget that those inspirators are then governed by the environment in which they teach and occupy for lengthy periods of their working lives. Distill ad infinitum....

What I object to in architecture could be best described as empty formalism and the blanket usage of composite cladding panels. The former of those abjections is my greatest concern and it pertains to arbitrary shape making. Schools needn't look 'funky' and 'futuristic' as many architects (and probably clients) seem to think. I can't see what's wrong with a well detailed, rationally planned building that is constructed from standard materials and elements. Manifesto over. Sorry.

An example case in point

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#628 Re: The General Election Thread
August 21, 2010, 03:40:07 pm
Getting a weird sense of deja vu over here as the Australian federal election has ended up with...yes, you guessed it....a hung parliament! The conservative coalition lead by two seats but cannot get the four more they need for an outright majority so they will have to wheel-and-deal with at least three independents and possibly the Greens to form a government!

How a one term Labour government that successfully navigated the country through the worst global financial crisis in 70+ years without any recession and with unemployment remaining down around 5% could flush itself down the toilet with just 3 months of suicidal political incompetence defies belief!!
Still, I voted Green and they got their first lower house member (another little piece of symmetry with the UK) and look set to get the balance of power in the upper house so I'm not complaining too much!

ChrisC

• menacing presence

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal