UKBouldering.com

The General Election Thread (Read 138853 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#600 Re: The General Election Thread
May 21, 2010, 07:44:44 pm
Done.  I'll collect my winnings after the ID Act is repealed.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#601 Re: The General Election Thread
May 21, 2010, 08:15:24 pm
You are not getting a fiver for the Tories stopping something that hasn't happened - I am not that daft

Sloper

• forum hero
#602 Re: The General Election Thread
May 21, 2010, 08:40:21 pm
Yes you are.

The Identity Card Act is in law, in force and the cards are in use.

Just because you haven't been detained without charge doesn't mean that that law wasn't real.

Talk to your brother and he'll tell you what's what.

Get your wallet out trot boy.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#603 Re: The General Election Thread
May 21, 2010, 11:27:12 pm
Yes you are.

The Identity Card Act is in law, in force and the cards are in use.

Just because you haven't been detained without charge doesn't mean that that law wasn't real.

Talk to your brother and he'll tell you what's what.

Get your wallet out trot boy.

I don't have to carry an ID no matter what you say, therefore my civil liberties haven't been eroded.

So no cash for you.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#604 Re: The General Election Thread
May 22, 2010, 12:04:39 am
Just came across Arrow's Impossibility Theorm which makes for interesting reading with regards to electoral reform.

Absolutely fascinating but I'm too pissed to understand it all tonight.

As for the rest of this. Sloper, you're wrong, shut up and Graeme, you're making his case easier to fight by also being wrong so shut up too. Stick to your wine you cunts, you're probably both in the same room anyway.

:shag:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#605 Re: The General Election Thread
May 24, 2010, 05:01:58 pm
Meanwhile, a FOI request has resulted in the CCTV footage of Sloper's bedroom being released…

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#606 Re: The General Election Thread
May 25, 2010, 10:36:06 am
glad to see the new coalition government is doing its bit for civil liberties, especially the right to peaceful protest - oh wait

BBC News - Parliament Square anti-war protester Brian Haw arrested

cofe

• forum hero
#607 Re: The General Election Thread
May 25, 2010, 11:57:59 am
Apparently the Queen said the bridesmaids looked lovely, and finished by raising a toast to the happy couple. It's first dance time now. Then it's Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel at full blast, and they're all getting hammered.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#608 Re: The General Election Thread
May 25, 2010, 01:14:26 pm
From what I’ve heard the Queen has now finished eating her peach. She said it was “very nice” and looks forward to next year’s.

Sloper

• forum hero
#609 Re: The General Election Thread
May 25, 2010, 08:27:15 pm
glad to see the new coalition government is doing its bit for civil liberties, especially the right to peaceful protest - oh wait

BBC News - Parliament Square anti-war protester Brian Haw arrested

Look, I'll give you one for free, the new government hasn't had the chance to legisalte yet.  haw was arrested under the laws enacted by the previous government, who you might remember tried to enact law simply to deal with his protest.

As I understand it the laws used to deal with Haws will be repealed pdq.

Perhaps when you are you might raise a 'hurrah' for the Eton (and Westminster) toffs.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Sloper

• forum hero
#611 Re: The General Election Thread
July 06, 2010, 08:26:26 pm
How fucking liberal is that, you're too wet, ignorant or ill informed to know what to do. 

Wankers.

Like I said for years I thought David Cameron was deliberately keeping Brown their as one of the Tories greatest asstes, now I realise that he just isn't up to the mark.

I do however like

1. Getting rid of ID cards
2. A judicial enquiry into our complicity in torture
3. Reviewing the use and control of the Terrorism laws, cameras and the like
4. The repeal of the HIPs
5. and so much more

Paul B

• forum hero
#612 Re: The General Election Thread
July 06, 2010, 11:07:57 pm
I take it the typo's are some kind of major ironic statement.

Sloper

• forum hero
#613 Re: The General Election Thread
July 06, 2010, 11:10:32 pm
No :ic irrigation. arse

benpritch

• forum abuser

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#615 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 08:42:31 am
As I said in the budget thread:

The major thing is the cuts. How much tax you pay or whether or not you get a pay rise is totally irrelevant if you don't have a job and obviously, unemployment is going to go up before it comes down. How the economy is affected by the cuts is the big question and nobody knows the answer at the moment.

Totally disagree with the media talking this shit up though. I said the first time round, the economy is massively influenced by confidence and the more stories like this are bandied about the less (stupid) people spend and the downward spiral continues.

"Ooh we're in a recession, best tighten our belts!". Er, do you still have a job? Yes. Are you earning the same amount of money? Yes. Has your mortgage got more expensive? No, it's cheaper actually cos of interest rates. Stop being a fucking dick then and spend.

:wall:

benpritch

• forum abuser
#616 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 09:17:25 am
i disagree with you a little bit jasper,

this is mainly about public service industries directly affected by the cuts.

"Many of the companies surveyed said cancelled public-sector contracts were beginning to hurt their businesses, forcing them to cut jobs and dealing a blow to chancellor George Osborne's hopes of reviving the private sector by reducing public spending."

also unemployment is rising, so not everyone has a job, not everyone has the same amount of money ( i know i don't).

dave

#617 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 09:22:26 am
also since some of the public sector thing which are being hit badly by the cuts (certainly in sheffield) are shit like careers advice/guidance and youthwork. So this increased number of unemployed young people will have less help to get jobs/training/other personal development, and will have less youth clubs/centres/DofE and shit like that going on in the evenings. Cue an increase in all kinds of associated shit like petty crime, boozing, gangs, vandalism, drugs etc etc.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#618 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 09:33:34 am
You misunderstand me Ben. I completely agree with all that.

My point is not about people who are being affected it's about those who are not but who follow the media line like sheep. And there are millions of them.

I'm totally against the cuts in the way they are being done. It's what I was worried might happen, across the board and totally without any common sense. Rather than the removal of waste we were promised we're seeing valuable front line services being irreparably damaged and the economy threatened. It's not necessary either.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#619 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 12:21:25 pm
"This month's services PMI will undoubtedly raise questions about whether the economic recovery is running out of steam. To see government spending cuts impact the sector so quickly is concerning given the bulk of cuts are still yet to come. The big question is whether the private sector can plug the big gaps left by the public purse.
The fall in employment is particularly disappointing and shows how quickly businesses will respond to worsening economic conditions – let's hope this isn't a trend we'll see continue."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/04/services-pmi-what-economists-say

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Sloper

• forum hero
#621 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 08:21:07 pm
Yeah anything with the masthead liberal conspiracy is bound to be impartial.

For the record cuts to legal aid and services for children in care are as much a disgrace when undertaken by the Tories as by Labour and boy did Labour fuck the vulnerable in those areas.

As far as I can see,

1. The cuts are not yet deep enough.
2. Paying for stuff with borrowed money is not 'growth'.
3. Public services could probably sustain 40% funding cuts without hurting things that we actually need
4. The public service is dependent on the private sector, not the other way around.

As for a double dip, yep we're probably due a big one because Gordon Brown went for broke trying to put off the pain until after the election.

As far as I'm concerned let's cut cut cut and introduce mordern workhouses for the generations of scroungers we currently have.  Ohhh or is it right that a family of five can live in london on benefits equivilent to a £60k per year salary?

Or playing devils advocate are you happy to pay more tac for council officers to spy on folk to see whether they live in the right school catchment area, for massive government databases, for things like Ofstead etc

As for things like the school building prgramme, education is not about the buildings and computerised white boards it's about the teaching.

There's no way the state can compete with the public schools for the very reason that the fees of c.£4500 per term are more than most people pay in tax.

Some people are gay, get over it. Likewise some people are rich.

fatkid2000

• junky
#622 Re: The General Election Thread
August 06, 2010, 09:10:29 pm
Sloper some of your views I agree with, but not all.

Some schools are in need of modernising: I agree that education is about teaching, but you can't teach in a school when the roof is leaking and Health and Safety shut down the science labs. There are plenty of schools which need updating, and this does not mean replacing it with an academy, just a new roof.

Other areas to cut - child benefits need major overhauls. Paying the poor to have huge families seems stupid.

University education - make Oxbridge and the Russell group properly funded, and shut the ones down offering things like media studies etc University education should be for the academic elite not a tax payer funded right of passage for middle class children.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#623 Re: The General Election Thread
August 07, 2010, 10:47:58 am
As for things like the school building prgramme, education is not about the buildings and computerised white boards it's about the teaching.

I completely disagree. Teaching standards aside, the environment in which a child spends the vast majority of their waking formative hours is a crucial one. To study within a building that is poorly lit and poorly ventilated doesn't contribute towards a positive associative experience to a child. There are countless rotting primary and secondary schools across the country in states of gross disrepair that will of course have been costly to construct. Given our improved knowledge of materials, whether natural or synthetic, and our ability to detail buildings to a much higher standard, I think it's important to consider exactly the type of environment that we're looking to teach our children within.

nik at work

• forum hero
#624 Re: The General Election Thread
August 07, 2010, 05:23:40 pm
Fuckin' architects  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal