UKBouldering.com

Bizarre - Churnet, Advice please on Hold restoration. (Read 13391 times)

measles23

• stalker
Saw it in the flesh tonight - had to do a double-take to figure out which bit was glued.. Looks very good Stuart, have a wad for being the guardian of the churnet.

measles23

• stalker
I take that back - I'm too new to wad - can someone else do it for me? You know he deserves it..

rainbow

• menacing presence
What glue did you use?
Used this, but the 390 type.

http://www.tooled-up.com/ShowImage.aspx?Type=3&File=FCHFISP380C.jpg&Man=FCH1&Size=500

Collected some sand off the top of cottage and bigger grains from buttress right of Bizarre and just kept throwing sand at the flake then blowing it off. Fingers crossed. On a lighter note, looking at how far right all the chalk is I'm sure we must have Left hand & Right hand variations on this. Didn't use sandy ledge for hands or feet. I even finished left of all the chalk on last move.

Duma

• forum hero
measles - done.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Looks to be a suitable repair, but why all this talk of superglue and furniture polish. We must have moved on now from the bodge it days when folk just used whatever they could rob from their access company.
Try professional stabilising solution - it does exactly what it says on the tub. There was a reason I didn't superglue my sandstone window mullions and jambs.....

The boy is on his money concerning cleaning away those woodlice though.
I have a tin of rock stabiliser but personally think Superglue does a better (stronger) job. Super glue creates silicon bonds, which are relatively similar to the natural bonding in sandstone/grit as far as I can gather. It certainly gives clean and long lasting results(6 years and counting on some repairs). Choosing this way is not about bodging or using cheap/available materials, it's just a case of going with what I've tried and found to be most effective.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:03:58 pm by Bonjoy »

dave k

• obsessive maniac
It looked to me (a few weeks back) like someone had been trying to climb a problem from the same start hold but up rightwards. There appears to be a new scar on the face where small hold might have been. Looks pretty impossible in its current state.

uptown

• junky
Looks to be a suitable repair, but why all this talk of superglue and furniture polish. We must have moved on now from the bodge it days when folk just used whatever they could rob from their access company.
Try professional stabilising solution - it does exactly what it says on the tub. There was a reason I didn't superglue my sandstone window mullions and jambs.....

The boy is on his money concerning cleaning away those woodlice though.
I have a tin of rock stabiliser but personally think Superglue does a better (stronger) job. Super glue creates silicon bonds, which are relatively similar to the natural bonding in sandstone/grit as far as I can gather. It certainly gives clean and long lasting results(6 years and counting on some repairs). Choosing this way is not about bodging or using cheap/available materials, it's just a case of going with what I've tried and found to be most effective.

I was making a general observation on the slapdash nature of UK rock repairs Jon, I think your repairs and the one Rainbow has done seem good to be honest though I haven't looked close up.
In the brief history of uptown bloddering more and more problems (including some of my own) have been shot by burly blodderers and botched repairs.
I guess that the solution to stabilisation needs SCIENCE and a CONSISTENT approach. Maybe the BMC should or could become involved to help preserve some classics for the future generations? Their blodderers countryside code makes no mention of retaining broken grips or of the SOP required to reinstate them. (Owners of the Faze action pebble or Crazy legs crimp can own up now and I'll repair them...)
Superglue is a cyanoacrylate, not a silicon bond, and as such has a very poor shear strength. A highly penetrative resinous solution will surely consolidate better, rather than just forming a barrier? Next tub I buy will be this...
I like their ethos.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
botched repairs

I think this is an important point.  It may well be the case that the actual sealant used is less important than how the repair is done.  Some moron splashing gallons of stone seal on will make a mess whatever brand they use.

I've repaired crumbling footholds in various dirty Lancs quarries, and for small areas I use superglue and a dab cloth.  It's always worked for me and the holds aren't glassy.

This maybe needs looking at more carefully and a scientific approach may give an idea which sealer is best.  However, rock varies so much there probably isn't a single correct approach.

I think the bottom line is, if you don't know what you're doing.... don't.

uptown

• junky

It may well be the case that the actual sealant used is less important than how the repair is done.  Some moron splashing gallons of stone seal on will make a mess whatever brand they use.
Agreed, a good workman with poor tools can still produce a superior finish.

This maybe needs looking at more carefully and a scientific approach may give an idea which sealer is best.  However, rock varies so much there probably isn't a single correct approach.
Wikipedia has superglue down as a climbers best friend to repair fingertips, it makes no mention of rock repair. If a builder turned up to consolidate my house stonework with superglue, I'd be calling rogue traders.

I think the bottom line is, if you don't know what you're doing.... don't.
This is the critical point here - why not have designated repairers per region - JB in that 'Peaks' zone, Rainbow in the stix, Lank for the quarries? Of course I'd need to test you all, and see your portfolio of works to issue your level 3s...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I use superglue for split tips too.  After all, it was kinda developed for wounds in the battle field.

As you say, superglue has a poor shear strength (albeit far better than araldite) when gluing two things together.  I would expect the fact it soaks into the softer rocks would mean it has a hardening effect, which is less reliant on sheer strength.  But we don't really know, it's all anecdotal.  I certainly wouldn't advocate gluing holds back on with superglue.

Having a dedicated person for repairs is a fair idea, however it's often a difficult decision (hence the origins of this thread) and it shouldn't really be put upon one person to make these decisions.  It's great to have people that have experience of hold repair give advice though.  I'd rather people came along here and asked opinions, rather than banging on with a repair that will be shit.

The other thing is that none of these repairs are permanent.  It needs vigilance and hold surveillance, a hold screening program if you like.  It's better to do a small touch up early, than a big salvage job late.

But let's not forget that many a time a bit of common sense may have reduced the risk of hold damage.  The dirty boot, bicycle feet brigade may need a word in their shell likes in order to prevent another Kebs.

EDIT:

Just looked at the composition of your Sandtex, Andy.  There's also a water based version, I'm not sure which would be best for treating rocks.

Composition
Pigment: None.
Resin: Epoxy ester, hydrocarbon
Solvent: Dearomatised White Spirit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:34:04 pm by GCW »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
The water based version appears to be acrylic polymer.

Useful search function for Akzo stuff here, gives the tech data on their stuff.

EDIT:  I've e-mailed Akzo for more information on these products for our requirements, although what they say I have no clue :lol:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:37:59 pm by GCW »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
UTG - Sorry, yes your right, Superglue doesn't have silicon bonds. It was the Stoneseal stuff i've used which had that on the tin. That stuff was good for treating larger areas of sandyness as you could apply larger quantities, but the result didn't seem as durable as good old SG.
I'm only going on the results of my own work. As I said I've used SG on various sandy footholds over the years and in all cases it has left a non-sandy surface which has not deteriorated further and without leaving much of a trace that anything has been applied. Chemistry aside that's good enough for me. Glad you've also found something effective. I'm sure both are better than the nasty greasy stuff slopped all over Bowden!

rainbow

• menacing presence
Sorry guy's, Its not to plan.  :( Had a look yesterday. Because the whole flake system and sandy ledge is linked there was not enough surface contact between resin and opposing rock to stop it flexing. I may need to apply a bead of resin down whole flake to prevent that. Don't intend to try this for a while as I'll try and experiment with bits of rock I find laying around to try and recreate a flexing flake!! If anyone objects just let me know and I'll leave it as it is. Thumbs up to Bonjoy & Mini for help and advice.

Stuart

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
note. showing photo's of me at this stage will not be funny

I've never seen a photo of you that isn't funny.

rainbow

• menacing presence
I'm pretty certain I've solved the problem. Went up there late Thurs eve spent quite a bit of time digging out the loose rock and soil from behind the whole flake system with cocktail sticks. Then fill some syringes up with the resin and injected the resin behind the flake. Then camouflaged it with sand/crystals as before. Had a look Fri afternoon and no matter how hard I pulled there was no flexing at all. If any one goes up that way in the next couple of days see what you think. The starting holds are a bit more open handed now, but that's a small price to pay for pulling on solid holds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal